Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 06-04-2006, 01:12 AM   #21
o_soulcutter

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Yeah mulch, those are all the same complaints I had. The story really DOESN'T get pushed further, it's more of setting the story up for the next episodes.
o_soulcutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2006, 01:54 AM   #22
o_deadly furby

WoW.........
It was worth the 20 bucks just to finally get to see Alyx naked!!
o_deadly furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2006, 02:25 AM   #23
o_neoro

It took way too long to get the crowbar..
o_neoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2006, 04:16 AM   #24
o_alligator

I played it with the highest settings and all, I had so much fun. I really loved the ending, nice effects valve came up with there. I was well worth.......my "time".......to be able to play this game....no doubt about that. I am looking forward to play Episode 2 when it comes out - Well worth your "time"/money on getting this game. Have fun playing it!
o_alligator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2006, 11:27 AM   #25
o_marinexgen

I can't see myself paying around $20 for a 4 hour "episode". I'm way to cheap and honestly, $20 for an episode when there might be 4 or 5 will cost around $80 total (assuming each one cost $20 or so) for about 16 - 20 hours of gameplay is way to much in my opinion. Again, this is all speculation on my part.

Following VALVe's business plans, if there are 4 or 5 and if you decide to get one then, you will probably get a deal on the rest of them.

So I'll just wait.
o_marinexgen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #26
o_cruor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineXGEN
I can't see myself paying around $20 for a 4 hour "episode". I'm way to cheap and honestly, $20 for an episode when there might be 4 or 5 will cost around $80 total (assuming each one cost $20 or so) for about 16 - 20 hours of gameplay is way to much in my opinion. Again, this is all speculation on my part.

Following VALVe's business plans, if there are 4 or 5 and if you decide to get one then, you will probably get a deal on the rest of them.

So I'll just wait.
From what I've heard there will be three episodes leading up to the release of Half-Life 3 which will be a full feature game once again.

episodes 1 and 3 "will" feature Gordon in the same way we've played through HL1, HL2 etc. and Episode 2 is rumored to follow another path/characters story, as sort of an off-story.
o_cruor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2006, 02:05 PM   #27
o_marinexgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruor
From what I've heard there will be three episodes leading up to the release of Half-Life 3 which will be a full feature game once again.

episodes 1 and 3 "will" feature Gordon in the same way we've played through HL1, HL2 etc. and Episode 2 is rumored to follow another path/characters story, as sort of an off-story.
Well that's not too bad then. I'll just wait til all of them are released so I can play them through without a decent waiting time between.

VALVe might have a deal then to regarding the previous episodes.
o_marinexgen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2006, 02:40 PM   #28
o_nezumi

Bam. Done and done. I started it at about midnight and finished around 6 am. I cranked up all the settings and played on hard.

I gotta say, Valve did a hell of a good job. Some of the settings (Like the very very first scene) were breathtaking. Everything about Alyx alone would have been worth 20$ (Although I played on a friends account). The updated facial expression engine, her lines, the better scripting. The fact that you have an extra computer controlled character tagging along the entire time who doesn't manage to become a liability is quite an accomplishment.

The scene in the garage with the elevator totally blew. The C17 parts were like HL2 but a bit better, and everything else was totally awesome.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2006, 03:22 PM   #29
o_cruor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
The scene in the garage with the elevator totally blew. The C17 parts were like HL2 but a bit better, and everything else was totally awesome.
I agree I hated the Elevator part, I was very low on ammo and no crowbar, and the explosives scattered around were of little help since the flashlight causes very little visability. I would have prefered it a little more spotlight like.

That was just zombie mayhem. I would have wanted my crowbar for christ's sake. Gordon without a crowbar is like the alphabet without the "U", Useless!

Old 06-04-2006, 04:32 PM   #30
o_kam

there are heaps of flares lying around the place, plus explosives to 'light em up'

i very much doubt ep2 won't be from gordons perspective
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2006, 04:43 PM   #31
o_dr zauis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineXGEN

So I'll just wait.
Then how about $12.99 thats what outpost is selling it for....and heres a link for those who want it for $12.99! Cheers!

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4707589

I personally bought it from Valve, but as i have noticed, outposts always has steam games on sale for 12.99 the day of release. Sin was on sale for 12.99 last time, so from now on im using outpost to buy my valve stuff.

Oh yea, playing it now

BTW if u saw the e3 trailer for episode 2, it seems that Gordon is the character, because Alyx is holding on for dear life to a pipe then says "Gordon!?"

Check that out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1BNq...%202%20trailer

Last edited by o_dr zauis; 06-04-2006 at 04:56 PM.
o_dr zauis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2006, 06:23 PM   #32
o_cruor

The trailer is also in your steam "half-life 2 episode one\episodic\media" folder.

**SPOILERS IN CASE YOU HAVEN'T SEEN NOR PLAN TO SEE THE TRAILER**

I don't know, I'm still uncertain as to if you play Gordon or not. Too me it seems like she's hanging there pretty much by herself, seemingly on a traintrack bridge after the train they were on crashed from the citadel explosion. Gordon might be temporarily unconncious unable to hear her. She utters his name in a questioning manor as if she doesn't know if he's there or not. Then she tries to grab the edge and most likely falls given the following scene.

The Vortigaunts somehow plan to preserve Alyx meaning she will somehow be "resurrected" in HL3 probably by them.

I'd say it's more likely you play as Gordon in Ep. 2 but I wouldn't be surprised if they follow another character and then pick up Gordon in Ep. 3 again.

*EDIT*

I think it's pretty certain we'll all be spooked at least once by these mini-stalkers. Those eyes of their's sure look like they're capable of some kind of energy weaponry. To bad they included that surprise attack in the trailer were one jumps down right infront of you at the mine opening. That ruins the surprise now as he will be expected.

Old 06-04-2006, 06:28 PM   #33
o_mescalito

when i'll be arsed to finish HL2 i'll consider the episodes.
o_mescalito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2006, 11:55 PM   #34
o_puppychow

Mesc...havent finished hl2? I urge u to do so...follow freeman and the rest of the chapters just...really kick ass. some of my fav gaming moments ever.

as far as episode 1 - dont really agree with the complaints about the length. it was publicised what it would be. and combined with the other 3 episodes, for 60 bucks, would equal the length and price of a full release...i can understand frustration tho.

i will give valve a reach around in this regard: they managed to put out a game that looks better than anything out there now, based upon the backbones of an engine...what, 4-5 years old. they really have showcased how source can grow with the times. game looks magnificent.
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2006, 01:42 AM   #35
o_dr zauis

I just beat it in 2hr 39 min
from 7pm - 9:39pm..... i am very mad about the length...granted i had it on normal mode, but hard will add what 10-20 minutes? The normal mapping looks stellar, and that surging ball looked sweet(the core) I hope thats a model because i totally what to add that into a map somehow. =)

2 1/2 x 3 = 7 1/2 hrs that is not a full length game, unless it is a fighter.
o_dr zauis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2006, 02:31 AM   #36
o_neoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr Zauis
The normal mapping looks stellar, and that surging ball looked sweet(the core) I hope thats a model because i totally what to add that into a map somehow. =)
Play with the commentary on, they tell you about the ball.
o_neoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2006, 03:13 AM   #37
o_puppychow

Quote:
from 7pm - 9:39pm..... i am very mad about the length...granted i had it on normal mode, but hard will add what 10-20 minutes? The normal mapping looks stellar, and that surging ball looked sweet(the core) I hope thats a model because i totally what to add that into a map somehow. =)

ppl on this site are more likely to be really good at fps's tho, and also, it depends on how you play....when in a new area, do you take the time to look at EVERY wall around you, check out the total enviornment, or do you speed through once you know what the next puzzle solution or path may be? i tend to look at everything, trying to find an egg, and even when its clear to "use grav gun with X prop to clear hurdle", I do not rush to do so.
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2006, 03:25 AM   #38
o_alligator

Quote:
Then how about $12.99 thats what outpost is selling it for....and heres a link for those who want it for $12.99! Cheers!

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4707589

I personally bought it from Valve, but as i have noticed, outposts always has steam games on sale for 12.99 the day of release. Sin was on sale for 12.99 last time, so from now on im using outpost to buy my valve stuff.

Oh yea, playing it now

BTW if u saw the e3 trailer for episode 2, it seems that Gordon is the character, because Alyx is holding on for dear life to a pipe then says "Gordon!?"

Check that out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1BNq...%202%20trailer
plus the $6.93 s/h...which gets me to about 20 bucks. Yea, buying off steam is better, instantly and no wait.

edit: Actually, i would be paying more..
sales tax for AZ, CA, GA, OH, TX, NV,WA, IL and IN
^_^
o_alligator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2006, 02:25 PM   #39
o_nezumi

Since HL2 came out, even before I heard of FF, I've wanted to make a combine citadel-style TF map. I could do one where each team has to protect their core or something :P

Oh, and my favorite part of EP1? Rollermine fights. Too bad they can't destroy eachother.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #40
o_ghost

Quote:

It was never intended to be a full length game. Perhaps $20 was a tad much for what it was but Valve never said it was going to be a full length game.

Also, not everyone speedruns through the game, as Puppychow stated in his post. I actually never understood how people could play a game like that, at least for the first run through. I had a friend who played HL2 non stop the first day it was released till he beat it. I just think it's stupid to wait for a game and be excited to play it only to blaze right through it in 1 day. I know Episode1 is a different story since it isn't supposed to be as long as a regular game but the same thing holds true.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote