Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 07:17 PM   #21
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
I keep mine up for friends and myself to hop on and fuck around. I couldn't really care if anyone else uses it, but newbs seem to like it none the less. Plus, the concjumping cockbots just rock.

Needless to say, I'll run a small FF server and turn the bots on when we LAN, I doubt we'll need them once the game is released.

You are a pirate!

Old 12-17-2006, 11:05 PM   #22
o_cr0c0dile

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Im going to make a bot server too and password it so no humans can join. There will be no time limit on the server, just two teams of bots locked into eternal combat. Then Ill be able to go in and spectate it whenever I want to. OMFG I cant wait!

Old 12-18-2006, 07:29 AM   #23
o_zaskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x
Bots are only a way to fill in a server to make it look like it's usefull when in fact it should be shut down because it's not needed at all.

less servers = more ppl on each server = no need for bots = better community overall
Thats kinda wrong ;P

No thats allot wrong acually :P

No one joins an empty server unless they LOVE that server so much that they want to join it and play by themself in hopes that others then see 1 player and want to join.

So if for whatever reason a server goes to 0 people, then others join servers that have players in it, for that instant gratification.

Smart way to do it is have the server rotation throw in a few odd maps, customs others arent running, that will draw people in just to DL the new map and see it, making it no longer empty. They usually will stay if others join in time.
TFC people are like old men set in their ways though latley :P

More servers with a few people is good, never wanna rely on a few servers, for some reason most popular servers have douchy admins too, which I always find odd. (the dont break the rules type that thinks its different when they do it cause their the admin)

Theres allot to runnin a server Sh4q that you dont know :P

That said, bots suck, they make a server seem un empty which is good, but i cant stress this enough, soon as a real player joins there should be a build in command they can type that will remove bots. Make it a vote if needed (and dont make the mistake mani mod does, counting in bots/HLTV, etc for the needed votes :P) that way a player or 2 could join and insta turn off bots.

1 person per team > 2 people playing with 10 bots

Last edited by o_zaskar; 12-18-2006 at 07:35 AM.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:14 PM   #24
o_ghost

I dunno what types of servers you run. Custom maps (execpet for openfire and a few others) have always cleared out servers. I've seen this to be true throught TFC's history. People usually don't want to wait and download a map to play. They want to jump in on a map they already know. If you can get a solid base of players on your server then it can survive with a custom map in the rotation.

And again, the reason noone joins a server with noone playing on it is because there are just too many servers out there and not enough people to play on them. Back when the number of players vastly outnumbered the number of servers it was pretty easy to get people playing on them without bots in them.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:06 PM   #25
o_df`

Yeah, but now apparently maps download instantly, provided you have the bandwidth (and most people do these days,) because you can redirect them to a download web address, rather than sending straight from the server.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:14 PM   #26
o_sh4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Thats kinda wrong ;P

No thats allot wrong acually :P

No one joins an empty server unless they LOVE that server so much that they want to join it and play by themself in hopes that others then see 1 player and want to join.

So if for whatever reason a server goes to 0 people, then others join servers that have players in it, for that instant gratification.

Smart way to do it is have the server rotation throw in a few odd maps, customs others arent running, that will draw people in just to DL the new map and see it, making it no longer empty. They usually will stay if others join in time.
TFC people are like old men set in their ways though latley :P

More servers with a few people is good, never wanna rely on a few servers, for some reason most popular servers have douchy admins too, which I always find odd. (the dont break the rules type that thinks its different when they do it cause their the admin)

Theres allot to runnin a server Sh4q that you dont know :P

That said, bots suck, they make a server seem un empty which is good, but i cant stress this enough, soon as a real player joins there should be a build in command they can type that will remove bots. Make it a vote if needed (and dont make the mistake mani mod does, counting in bots/HLTV, etc for the needed votes :P) that way a player or 2 could join and insta turn off bots.

1 person per team > 2 people playing with 10 bots
I've ran servers in the past so I don't know why you're saying there's alot I don't know.

Maybe you haven't been around long enough to see it and that's why you don't understand but lemme repeat what others have said so far:

A couple years ago there were no bots and just enough servers so that when you would join an an empty server, it would fill real quick.

So, just enough servers means no need for bots.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:11 PM   #27
o_lt llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP
It's not the bots that killed tfc, it just became old.
TFC aint dead, it just smells like it, and if you cant stand the smell, you aint no real TFC player.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:38 PM   #28
o_player

The community is dwindling though : (

Old 12-19-2006, 08:57 PM   #29
o_gambit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paft
Also I've seen numerous people who don't know they are playing with bots and no humans, I have entered a servers with 1 person and a bunch of bots and he/she is chatting away to them.

hahaha....i love it.....

whats even funnier is them knowing their bots and then you make the bot speak....haha....it throws them off....

Noobs have it so bad....haha

Old 12-19-2006, 09:10 PM   #30
o_fjorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x
I've ran servers in the past so I don't know why you're saying there's alot I don't know.

Maybe you haven't been around long enough to see it and that's why you don't understand but lemme repeat what others have said so far:

A couple years ago there were no bots and just enough servers so that when you would join an an empty server, it would fill real quick.

So, just enough servers means no need for bots.
I played TFC a couple years ago, and this is a complete and utter lie
Sure, less servers had bots, but there were more servers with stupid mods (no bhop servers ftl) and stupid admins (dVa's server for instance...)

not to mention that all the retarded pubbers, and moronic clanners, all went to the more popular servers

So most of the servers worth playing on... had bots

Old 12-20-2006, 05:42 PM   #31
o_nuk3m

more or less i am retired and just wanted to have a bot server to mess around in with bots. i remember back in the won days when it wasnt difficult for bots to be implemented, id max the server to 32 peeps, and have all scouts running on offfense and ill be a ENGI with a level 3 sentry just knocking the shit out of them it was so fun.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:42 PM   #32
o_df`

That does kind of sound like fun...I always thought the bots were counterintuitive to configure though, having to edit a config file before starting the game, figuring out what fields do what, sifting through documentation...not really worth it.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:46 PM   #33
o_nuk3m

yeah well if you were a cloest zombie most of ur youth and played video games all day. heh not too boring.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:43 AM   #34
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
Not speaking for the team here, personally I've seen public servers do much better without bots.

When a TFC server is empty except bots and the first real player joins, he may or may not enjoy himself there, depending on how he tolerates the horrible TFC bots. When the second and beyond players join however, the bots simply get in the way and reduce the quality of play for most people. What I mean is most people would prefer to play against a few human players without the bots, instead of a few human players with a full team of bots on both sides.

Additionally, any server with bots is going to see a huge reduction in players as a good percentage of TFC players just won't bother with the bots.

In the past, you could hop onto a server and expect people to join in and get a game going. When there are bots on that server along with the lone player, that reduces the number of people willing to join and start a game. Of the people who scan servers and would go in and join a small number of players and get a game going, it is my observation that even fewer of that demographic tolerate bots.

Clearly if FF bots are better, this will be less of an issue. Still, it is a potential problem FF faces imo.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:49 AM   #35
o_nuk3m

so are you saying Bots will be in the first release?

Old 12-21-2006, 12:50 AM   #36
o_bokko

I'd just like a bot who would go engy, build an SG where I wanted and then maintained it. That way you could practise flagroom flagthrows and such.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:15 AM   #37
o_nezumi

I think having 1 bot in an empty server that drops as soon as 1 player joins would be usefull for keeping your map off the 'has no players' filter, but beyond that I hate bots.

Dospac, is it possible to include an actual filter for bot servers in FF or do you not have access to that?

Old 12-22-2006, 02:32 PM   #38
o_[o-t] scuzzy

We've always kept 4 bots in the server and removed one for each player that joins. Once 4 people are in the server all bots are gone. This has worked pretty well for us over the years, and properly configured FoxBots aren't that bad.

Scuzzy

Old 12-23-2006, 10:33 AM   #39
o_nezumi

I could pretty well live with as few as 4 bots.

Old 12-23-2006, 01:01 PM   #40
o_paft

My Scuzzy someone that's not a total muppet when I comes to running a server. The top servers are packet with around 12.

Closed Thread