Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 12-30-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
o_lt llama

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Request: ff_skills - Skill map along with official maps

I would like to see one skill map released with the blessing of the dev team once FF is released. From my point of view I see several good reasons to do it. Just a couple mentioned:

* TF2 won't do it for shure. Ok, I have no insight into that but it's my uneducated guess that there will be no skill map in the official TF2 map package. So if FF do it, they have an advantage, because there are quite a few old skills gamers lurking around here and haunting the servers still alive in TFC.

* Many of the regulars on my servers has never set their foot on a classical CTF map, they started out as TFC skills gamers and never regretted it. They will probably play the FF ctf maps, but probably move onto skills maps when there are any made.

* A multiskill FF map would be good. A map with obstacles designed for FF where you can train movement and the differant classes. Maybe designed to meet the needs in CTF play.

* An officially released skill map by the FF team would be THE reward to all the people who developed this particular game play for TFC, both to the mappers and the elite players.

* TFC skills gaming had what it takes to become a serious competitative e-sport, but noone caught up on it in time. Maybe that could change with FF, if skills gaming would be recognized as a part of what FF want to be, a heritage to all who loved TFC, and all its variety.

* I run TFC skills servers, and my only reason to move on to FF would be to host skills servers. Otherwise i stay in TFC and sink with the ship. Not to bad after all, someone has to keep the dust away from the museum and greet the visitors and show them the way of the Conc.
o_lt llama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 04:13 PM   #2
o_thewetmule

I'd kinda have to agree, it'd be nice to see one? Maybe two, just to get it off on the right foot, I know CTF is the main reason FF is comin' about, but CTF has as big a community as skill jumping :P. We can allways agree, when you don't want to CTF doing a quick map such as speed is allways quite fun, I know quite a few CTF people that play Conc_speed, speed2, conc_2v2 just whilst they wait for a decent map to come on! What would they do without concing? Venture into the real world? Heck no!
o_thewetmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 04:27 PM   #3
o_beetle

What's been told is its hard to make a skill map before the release of FF because some things are changing enough to make it not as easy as just making an FF map exactly like they were in TFC. Then I'm sure you'll see all of those concmaps and such.
o_beetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 05:26 PM   #4
o_ma|2io

CTF is a big reason, but the sweet video they release is dustbowl...........
o_ma|2io is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
o_thewetmule

CTF is as big a reason as skillz, its just got more power behind it due to majority of Devs being CTF orientated

Both sides of the communitys opinions count, I'm sure devs will meet everybody somewhere in teh middle too :P

Old 12-30-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
o_player

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle
What's been told is its hard to make a skill map before the release of FF because some things are changing enough to make it not as easy as just making an FF map exactly like they were in TFC. Then I'm sure you'll see all of those concmaps and such.
An in-house skills map has the advantage of being accurately scaled and mapped because, as we all know, they have played the game.

Anyway, I would be happy to see something along these lines happen but I doubt it will which doesn't bother me anyway. I would still rather the game be released, people get an idea of how the game works, and then work from there.
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 07:16 PM   #7
o_diablo

an official remake of concmap_r would be great to include, and not hard to make (u can be sure all jumps are possible, even if you never played the game)

<3 Lt.llama btw (and u mule)
o_diablo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 09:18 PM   #8
o_beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
An in-house skills map has the advantage of being accurately scaled and mapped because, as we all know, they have played the game.

Anyway, I would be happy to see something along these lines happen but I doubt it will which doesn't bother me anyway. I would still rather the game be released, people get an idea of how the game works, and then work from there.
obviously true, but if it delays the release, i say let anyone else make it after the release.
o_beetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2006, 07:45 AM   #9
o_lt llama

beetle, I like you arguing against it, but my advice is that you come up with a few more arguments. As it is now you have two:

1. We can't make a skill map without knowing the actual physics
Counter-argument: As Player said and as I pointed out in my first post this has to be done "in-house". The devs knows all there is to know to provide a mapper with enough info to make a skill map.

2. If it delays the development of FF then lets not do it.
Counter-argument: I agree, but I don't think it's mapping that delays FF, it's cleansing it from bugs. While they are working on that they could sign up any of the awsome skills mappers which already exists. I'm shure many of them would be proud of working on an official skill map for FF.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:44 AM   #10
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
no, he's right. its the dumbest idea ever to make a skills map if you dont actually know the nature of FF's physics system to the very last detail. you're an idiot if you think otherwise

Old 12-31-2006, 12:54 PM   #11
o_thewetmule

Hense why they said it'd have to be done by someone who knows teh physics.

p.s Its never took long to map a simple 3 or 4 conc jumps which require to use 1 or 2 concs.

p.p.s ? I've got a map laid out, hopefully all will go well and I'll be able to do it

Old 12-31-2006, 01:11 PM   #12
o_rannibunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervaka
no, he's right. its the dumbest idea ever to make a skills map if you dont actually know the nature of FF's physics system to the very last detail. you're an idiot if you think otherwise
This opinion is correct. Especially concerning the idiot...
o_rannibunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2006, 08:46 PM   #13
o_sta_sirtiger

I third that ^. It really is pointless.
o_sta_sirtiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2007, 01:12 AM   #14
o_donny

Completely offtopic but heck it's new year

Lt Lama, hahaa Remember me? We played toghether once and I said I remember you from this forum.
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2007, 09:08 AM   #15
o_lt llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
Lt Lama, hahaa Remember me? We played toghether once and I said I remember you from this forum.
Ofc I do . Happy Off topic New Year to yourself.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:55 AM   #16
o_diablo

The point is, alot of EXCELLENT tfc skill mappers are waiting to start mapping for FF, but are bored (Mule u are not part of those excellent, perhaps adv-, just like the jumps u can do tbh )

but hell, it seems like its the most active tfc mapping period ever, every week a new tfc skill map appears, the last double as nice and innovative as the previous one
o_diablo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #17
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
the truth is, noone knows exactly how the physics are. they aren't even set in stone yet!

Old 01-01-2007, 08:05 PM   #18
o_foxtrick

Its an important part of TFC that will undoutably be catered for. Anyways, this is something mappers have got to do, not the dev team Hard without knowing physics but you can certain have a rough design of maps and themes and textures. I dare say if you wanted you could approximate stuff but that could end up wasting alot of time..
o_foxtrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2007, 03:13 AM   #19
o_fisheye

considering how easy concmap_r, or concmap2 are to complete, there would be something very wrong if they became impossible in FF
o_fisheye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2007, 10:11 AM   #20
o_loader

Quote:
* TFC skills gaming had what it takes to become a serious competitative e-sport, but noone caught up on it in time.
Dude.. No...

TFC skills as an e-sport? Do you follow e-sports.. At all?
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote