Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > FF Technical Support

Old 01-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
Firefox11

Class/Position: O&D: Pyro, Sniper
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Random freezing

In the past days I have experienced some problems while playing FF. The game freezes at random times, no matter the server (even local ones), looking pretty much like lag spikes, but very constant. However, it doesn't always happen, so I could be playing FF for hours a day, then the next one it would freeze at the first minute of play. I guess it may be because I recently upgraded the RAM from 1 to 3 GB, but I can't tell due to the inconsistency of the problem.

System Specs:
Dual core @ 2.4 GHz
3 GB RAM
NVidia 7300GT 512 MB

Thoughts?
Firefox11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

I would make back up copies of any important files you have then reinstall steam and FF.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
Firefox11

Any other suggestions before uninstalling everything?

I've tried other games to see if it's only a FF issue, but no: it seems that Source games will start freezing after a bit (tried FF, HL2 and TF2). However, HL1 worked fine the time i had it up (which wasn't much, to be honest).

Someone in-game mentioned that it might be overheating - with the PC idle and the case open, CPUs are at 29 ºC, but the GPU is at 65 ºC, so I guess it'll probably go up to 80's while playing. Could this cause the freezing? (which would make sense, since they occur more often and get worse with time)

Old 01-11-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Most defiantly if stuff is over heating is can cause freezing. Run the video stress test from sdk base. Also this link might work. steam://support/?Issues=*

Old 01-11-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
"In the past days..." - what did you do before it happened?

Old 01-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
Firefox11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox11 View Post
I guess it may be because I recently upgraded the RAM from 1 to 3 GB, but I can't tell due to the inconsistency of the problem.
That's what I did. Apparently I installed it right, the first time PC shut down by itself after the "Windows XP" load screen. Tried booting up again, no problems, and it ran with the 3 Gigs. Then I played FF for two hours or so without any issue, and after a few days it started freezing. Next day it ran normally again, yesterday was a damn fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [AE] 82694
Most defiantly if stuff is over heating is can cause freezing. Run the video stress test from sdk base.
Did the stress test, average FPS of 61, no freezing at all. Vid card is now up to 66 ºC after the test though. At the start of the test, a message appeared: "Node Graph out of Date. Rebuilding..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by [AE] 82694
Also this link might work. steam://support/?Issues=*
Did it, it seems the drivers are out of date, and tells me to use drivers from 2006 =/ Anyways, I downloaded the latest drivers (8th January 2009). Also, it seems that one of Panda's .dll's has an adware >_>

So after installing the drivers, I had to restart the computer - had to do it three times before it booted up normally, the other two got stuck after the Windows loading screen. The link still says that the drivers are out of date...

However, it looks like its fixed, at least for now. Played a bit of FF with no freezing at all - doesn't mean it won't tomorrow I guess >_>

Note: GPU temp was up to 71 ºC after playing O_O

Old 01-12-2009, 10:54 PM   #7
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
I'm not sure if FF has the same feature, but after a long long time I decided to play some TFC over the weekend since there weren't many populated FF servers, and the ones that were populated were playing maps I didn't care for.

Before TFC started up I got a message box saying I should defrag my TFC files since they were like 90% fragmented.

I said fuck it, I haven't played tfc in ages there shouldn't be a lot of fragmentation and ignored the suggestion and went into the game.

As soon as I started playing I was getting this freezing thing you're talking about, not a lag freeze, or fps freeze (fps were steady at 100). But every minute or so my screen would just lock up for a second then continue on.

I figured maybe there was merit to this defragging thing. So after figuring out where that tool was in steam I defragged my tfc files, rebooted my pc and the freezing stopped.

I right clicked the menu option Team fortress classic and selected properties (off hand I can't remember where I went from there but I eventually found it).

Maybe FF has a similar option? I haven't looked and I'm at work so I can't look atm.
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #8
CaLeB-
Whitest Kid You Know
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock View Post
Maybe FF has a similar option? I haven't looked and I'm at work so I can't look atm.
I believe it's the Source SDK Base that you have to defragment for FF.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:51 AM   #9
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox11 View Post
Note: GPU temp was up to 71 ºC after playing O_O
Sounds about right.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
my mum sometimes used to put small dead animals in the freezer in old un-labelled ice-cream cartons. yeah, that was pretty random.
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #11
Firefox11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock View Post
I've done this, but didn't think of defragging Source SDK, and instead defragged HL2. I will check Source SDK and look if the problem returns anytime soon.

Thanks for the help everyone.