Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Tips and Tutorials

Old 03-04-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
OmegaShadow

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Spies

Do you guys have any tips for playing spies? I need tips because Spy is my favorite class. I need some good tips. Any help would be appreciated.
OmegaShadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
PartialSchism
Keep On Keepin' On

Class/Position: Offense
Gametype: Fun
Affiliations: I'm bad at FF, and my customs suck
Send a message via AIM to PartialSchism
trigger_ffscript_new: ()
disguise;cloak;pwn;repeat
if repeat == negative(0) return false
end

out of sight.. out of mind maybe? dont play spy much myself. But, it is a fun
class to play, so load up some tips!
PartialSchism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
Firefox11

Class/Position: O&D: Pyro, Sniper
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
That's what I've found more effective:
1 - Use your cloak only when needed and if you know there are no SGs nearby. Also try to keep track of enemies and crouch without moving when they get near you, so it's harder to spot you.
2 - Don't stab an enemy unless it's required (i.e., don't stab the front line defender if you are going to ge the flag and your teammates can get past him easily)
3 - If you have to kill, pick your targets carefully and use brute force if needed (Shotgun, grenades). A man target would be a Demoman piping the CP or the flag.
4 - Try to not look suspicious. Running straight against an enemy is, usually, a give away that you are a Spy. Instead, roam around and make it look like if you where patroling the area - even throwing nades at your teammates if FF is off.
5 - If FF is on and you get shot to spy check, stop moving and look the attacker, but don't shot back. If you are lucky, he will think you are a real teammate and will forget about you. Careful with Engineers and Medics though, they may try to repair the damage they've done...
6 - Never, ever, use the current 2.0 Gas Grenades unless you've been already spotted. Doing so will let the enemy know there is a Spy around, and will start to Spy check more often.
7 - Use your disguise to touch and move/throw the flag as far as you can. This can help greatly your team.

Now the tricky part: Dealing with Engineers and SGs.
1 - Always try to sabotage the SG if you can afford it. If the Engineer is near, try to kill him. A backstab is great, since it will give you his disguise so you will have more options to sabotage the SG, if not, use your grenades and Shotgun if needed, though using weapons is less silent and can make you lose the disguise.
2 - Try to sabotage more than one SG at once. If the second Engineer catches you, run back to where the first SG is and activate the sabotage: the SG will take him down, hopefully, and you will have more time to sabotage the second SG.
3 - If you need a SG taken down ASAP, throw two grenades at it and shot it with the Shotgun. You may die, but it's the most reliable way. If the Engineer is nearby it can be harder, so aim against the Engineer first - one grenade to knock him away, he may come after you, then nade the SG or kill him and sabotage it.
4 - If you are about to die and have a sabotage ready, activate it, or all your efforts will be useless.
Firefox11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Check out the Fortress Forever Guides as well!

Gay And Lesbian Fiction | Teen Books | Bath Products
pF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2008, 02:17 AM   #5
jordan10la

Class/Position: Medic
Affiliations: {FYC}
There was a topic with great tips but I don't have the link. I have to go to bed now but I'll try to find it for you tomorrow.
jordan10la is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Annoy the heck out of snipers or other defenders.

Sit back at a distance off to the side cloaked with your dart gun. Make sure no one is around and then shoot the sniper/defender then instantly recloak.

If you can get good at this, you will really make the snipers/defenders paranoid and start shooting at anything that moves (or even doesn't move) and since you are a long way off, they won't hit you.

Practice long range darting while the target is moving. I've done many shots like that and its funny to watch them turn around and start firing everywhere. lol

Doing stuff like this is not only a great laugh but it helps your team mates because if the snipers/defenders are off looking for a close up spy, then they are not killing your incoming team mates.

And well its fun listening to them scream over the mic going "theres a spy close by, but I can't find him, he keeps tranqing me" lol
Gwarsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2008, 01:35 AM   #7
Damascus
Comic Artist
D&A Member

Cloak, go behind Sniper, Crowbar his @$$, laugh at him.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #8
slay2rr

Class/Position: Pyro
Gametype: CTF
Thats true, even pro snipers can get stabbed quite easily.
slay2rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2008, 03:27 PM   #9
dys
I am the nip to your bud.

Depending on the setting, pub or organized:

If organized, don't be greedy. It's not all about getting the leet knifekills or tranq kills. It's about advancing the flag, whether directly or indirectly by taking the sg or a defender that's giving your teammates problems.

Knifing a demoman when he's piping the flag has a huge impact, especially if the flag is being moved. You will be everyone's hero.

When trying to take down an sg that's got an engi clanging away, the spy pills may not be too bad if your cover is already blown. Spy pills can also be used tactically to force someone, such as a soldier or HW from standing in a specific area.

Most importantly, don't underestimate the other team's ability to realize you're a disguised spy. If your cover is blown, make something useful out of the run, unload your pockets. There's a difference between doing nothing and dying with a dumb look on your face vs what Firefox suggested (which is very good suggestion btw) by staring down the guy doing the spy checking with a "wtf?" look. Yes, I know there's no facial expressions as I described, but somehow, someway, it's possible.

In an unorganized fashion/pub, chase everybody, jam on the attack button and flail the knife as much as possible. Drop the pills on bridges and respawn doors.
dys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
Thor-Stryker
Spybox

Class/Position: Sniper, Defensive
Gametype: Capture Point
Affiliations: Unguilded
Send a message via AIM to Thor-Stryker Send a message via Yahoo to Thor-Stryker
Quote:
Originally Posted by slay2rr
Thats true, even pro snipers can get stabbed quite easily.
I beg to differ, unless of course your team-mates don't spy check, which then a spy can easily run onto the battlements, but good luck otherwise, spys are easy kills.
Thor-Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2008, 10:24 PM   #11
jordan10la

Class/Position: Medic
Affiliations: {FYC}
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor-Stryker
...spys are easy kills.
As are snipers.
jordan10la is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #12
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
dys pretty much nailed it for organized play, but forgot one thing: sabotaging can be the most effective tool a spy has, as it can almost completely remove all defensive opposition, allowing for an easy cap. because of this, it is extremely difficult to pull off in an organized game, but if you are patient enough, you will be rewarded. also, if you do mange to pull a sabotage off, dont be hasty and acivate it right away. keep in communication with your team to time it just right to make the biggest impact.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #13
elwood
el duke.

Class/Position: spy evryfring & med.
sabb'ing is definitely a great advantage to try and pull off, but you obviously can't just go for it every single run. taking it down altogether is the best thing for your offense, but if you really have a good opportunity to pull it off.. go for it. like someone else already mentioned, don't just waste it right away. stay alive and coordinate with the offense and you could maybe get 1-2 caps off it.

i agree with dys 100%. a good spy doesnt go greedy with the stabs every single kill. a good spy will use all of his unique class tools (cloak, tranq, gas, supershotty and disguises to obtain the main objectives. which is getting priority targets down such as sentry guns/demomen to help open opportunities for the rest of the offense.

since FF-devs reduced grenade damage and fall damage, nade jumping is extremely useful in this game to be effective as a spy. especially since the bhop is much faster off the skip.

*edit - just messed around with demo recording for the first time. i started recording and somehow luckily busted this out first run. here is a spy clip from today http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx4WbUffESE

Last edited by elwood; 05-04-2008 at 07:39 AM.
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2008, 04:02 AM   #14
Greenmarine
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor-Stryker
I beg to differ, unless of course your team-mates don't spy check, which then a spy can easily run onto the battlements, but good luck otherwise, spys are easy kills.
LOL always someone else's fault aye ?

Actually it's quit the opposite...If I want to kill a sniper I will take all map for one kill, but that is very very rare...someone like you would be be very easy to kill your confidence is quit comical.
Besides I'm more concerned with the team effort than some pudgy sniper

Last edited by Greenmarine; 08-18-2008 at 04:19 AM.
Greenmarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #15
rdrt
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
you haven't seen stryker snipe then obviously. he's pretty good.
rdrt is offline   Reply With Quote