jewbagel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 06:59 AM   #22
EquilibriuM
G9-
D&A Member

Class/Position: D Solly,Engy
Gametype: ALL
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
its great played 6 hrs nonestop with a few of my clanmates from fx. we had a blast everything seems to run smoother to me i have no complains yet ,but really havnt had the chance to play all classes fully. jump pads r nice but to me seem a lil large i would shrink them just a tad. oh and i love the new zoom effect on concing its great, although havnt tried the none friction yet like in juggle conc maps etc might try that tomorrow waiting on pub to upgrade his conc skill map server. im also easy on judegement not to much on complaining about teh game itself, besides i have a shitty pc but overall gameplay seems much nicer to me now.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:24 AM   #23
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulja
although havnt tried the none friction yet like in juggle conc maps etc might try that tomorrow waiting on pub to upgrade his conc skill map server.
First...UGC server has any conc map you can think of...just rtv and vote for whatever you want.

Second...It is freeking great...it's fixed finally back to normal. IF you ever conced in TFC you will be a happy person!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 08:49 AM   #24
Mr. Happy
FF LOL

First impression: great All the changes are for the better, though I really miss scout radar. I think the grenade halos and trails are an incredible idea. Maybe the best most over looked change.

A few minor issues:
IC jumping doesn't feel nearly as smooth as rocket jumping, feels really inconsistent to me. Maybe it's just different timing I need to get used to, but I feel like I can't do it as well as before.

Boost pad could use a destruction notifier. Every time it blew up a team member had to tell me since I was just concing past it.

Boost pad sometimes caught me when I was somewhere around 8-32 units from it

I thought the security/flag icons were fixed? I'm still getting z-ordering problems with them though. Ignore me if I mis-read something hehe.

Major personal opinion: Give scout SNG ;(
Mr. Happy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 08:58 AM   #25
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard nixon
it really should have been called 1.5. And 2.0 should have included plenty of maps, added the scoring system and maybe new game modes (since it's been said over and over again that it isn't TFC:S).

I haven't tried it yet but I hope when I do it changes my mind.
New maps are always being worked on, and current maps like epicenter, hunted, and waterpolo have better NEW game modes that most should enjoy. I wanna play some more waterpolo, that shit is fun for hours!
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #26
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
My thoughts:

This is as good as I expected it to be. I love 90% of of these updates. Less lag makes me happy on maps like dropdown, monkey, and openfire. There are a few things that I didn't like and I will list them in no order of importance.

Bad:

Removal of Caltrops - Instead of removal, revamp them into something that takes strategy. For example, make a proximity grenade that shoots nails horizontally, similar to the nail grenade, but smaller, more potent(causes you to slow down), and does maybe 5-10 damage. A scout could throw it on the ground, and it would activate, similar to green pipes, and would only go off if an enemy got near it. If within 60 seconds noone comes near it, it disappears. Or make it last for 15 seconds, or 30 seconds.

Color of soldier is almost too bright, I think it should have color saturation, but it needs to be a darker red.

SG air push is a bit weak, but manageable.

Jump pads make it super easy for any class from heavy to scout to get to certain parts of a map very very fast..... Couple that with bhopping/down trimping, and you've literally made every defense an offensive class. Demomen no longer have to use 2 or 3 pipes to get to the enemy base fast... I think the jump pad speed should work depending solely on the class you choose. Faster for faster classes, slower for slower classes. That and the hit box is still too big, and somewhat annoying to try to avoid. Jump pad needs to be made similar to a dispenser, in that it can be destroyed like it by any enemy, as well as detonated by scout, as well as only your team can use it, and it could then be team colored to fit that.

Medkits need to be revamped, made so your +Attack2 button switches to your medkit, and only then, can you start to throw medpacks. It also seems like it is still too difficult to heal/infect with your medkit.

Demoman's blue pipes need to be increased from 1.1 to 1.5 before they explode.

The Flag Glow is ok, but could be improved. How about a simple white glow, that way you can still see the color of the flag, but it will glow white?

-------------------------------------

Everything else fucking ROCKS!

Love the new map features/fixes. Love the no friction mess for concs. Love the Shiny sg. It now looks like it could fuck some shit up. Love everything on the pyro, love the spy's ability to use Last Disguise, love the increase of damage inflicted via crowbar/knife. Love the glowing trails on nades/pipes.

Great job guys!!!!!!!!!
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #27
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
It seems that most die hard hardcore TF/C fans thinks FF isn't all that good. No views of my own yet, ain't played it.

Last edited by Paft; 02-16-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #28
Hoopajoo

Affiliations: ( GoodFellas . )
Good:
-SG's are more balanced now. Before they were rediculously hard to kill. Openfire looks nice.

Bad:
-Shotgun seems weak; like I shoot people so many times sometimes and they don't die.
-Nade toss distance seems weak, especially when tossing nades upwards.
-I wish there was a way to not use the launch pads when you walk over them. Sometimes they are put on batts in 2fort and completely screw up a conc.. or in places which basically grief the server. A scout gas grenade that causes the conc effect would be a better idea I think. You could possibly make it hard to see through as well; a shrouding effect.
-Spy cloak is too visible still. Not useful.
-Dispenser gives ammo really slow.... If you put one near an HW on D, it still wont give him enough ammo to be useful. HW runs out of ammo fast with his cannon so weak...
-A good demoman basically rapes everything, equivalent to hwo the HW used to be. Same with pyro now.

Not sure:
Pyro has like every weapon slot in the game + the ability to fly? I dunno... Drop concs have to be alot further under you than they did in tfc. This makes them easier to do off ledges but harder to do in water. My main class when the game came out was hw; I think the guns of his are balanced ok but if they are going to be so nerfed, maybe he should have 400 ammo.
-It seems like nails come from the right side of a med/scout, so if you are trying to shoot an sg around a corner on your right, like the long hall in 2fort, you can't rly shoot the sg before it locks onto you. Perhaps you could center the nail gun?

Bugs:
Still the half stuck in floor spawn bug. All nade tracers are red?

Last edited by Hoopajoo; 02-16-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Hoopajoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #29
AfterShock
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 45 Times
Agreed about the jump pad radius, it is too big and hard to avoid sometimes.

RE: grenade glow colours - the idea was, anything that blows up directly is red - e.g Frag nades and mirvs. Napalms are orange, concs white, nail grens light blue, emps yellow, gas green. We could change all these to a single team colour, but it would mean losing the ability to differentiate which grenade is which quickly.

Agreed about dispenser ammo tick time. An HW with a dispenser should not run out of ammo IMO.

RE: new maps - apologies we have no completely new maps. We are working hard on them and they will be out ASAP. If we wanted to wait for 2fort and schtop, it would have delayed the patch for about 3 weeks, so I preffered to release now and get the maps in 2.1. That said, monkey was basically unplayable before, and openfire being included means every server and client will have it now which is awesome. Epicenter is also amazing now with the 3-cap system.
AfterShock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 12:55 PM   #30
Foxtrick

Thanks for the patch. I don't play often these days but impression is very good. Models and player grenades are more distinguishable, jump pad seems a welcome addition but should disappear after a few seconds maybe? on 2fort just now seemed like it was a permanent feature of the battlements which as people have said is just making it harder on defence knowing offy have one more conc spare!

^_^

Thanks for a well put together patch.
Foxtrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #31
mixer
Interzone technican

good work MrPatchmeister! apart from the classbalance which didnt went to my likings ... need more time to figure how it turns out. Hoping for bigger playerbase now!
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #32
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Guys the main objective of the jumpad is in deed helping heavy classes to be O, so thats not broken, i think it isnt a big change and on AvD maps they dont help much, on maps like cornfield if everybody`s skill is avg the caps will be fast, always, cos there are too many unknown paths and stuff, and in dustbowl lol, i remember this guy complaining saying that it would fuck the map dustbowl, that O would rape too much, he even went on O, 10 v 10 dustbowl, D won, by a lot? no, by really little, was a really good round.
GhostBuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #33
Firefox11

Class/Position: O&D: Pyro, Sniper
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
I think that what he means is something like this:

TFC, no Friendly Fire (not even stripping), last CP of Dustbowl. A HWGuy grabs the flag, Demo lays 6 pipes in the corner before the bridge to the CP. HWGuy gets a boost, lands near the CP with 100HP / 300AP. Now you try to stop him from capping, since you can't push him as you would do with a Scout. I've seen this happen. A lot.

This is what could happen with the Jump Pad. Not in league play, because Clans tend to push forward and disrupt any kind of jump set up, but in pub play most of the D stands near the CP.
Firefox11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #34
Vicious
Nothing left to believe in

Then show them the error in their ways and the game will evolve.
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #35
Handym
I got some bread, bitch

Send a message via MSN to Handym Send a message via Skype™ to Handym
First impressions:
Soldier is so ridiculously overpowered now it's not even funny. The splash and the damage makes it almost impossible to counter any kind of decent soldier at mid-close range.

Spy cloaking still sucks, ive been sitting in a corner, where suddenly a busy soldier turns around, killing me as i sit completely still with no signs of presence.

Also, the fov changes while travelling while flying are really annoying. I'dd much rather have the motion blur..

Other than that, win

Last edited by Handym; 02-19-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Handym is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #36
JayDee

Pyro is a right meelee class now. Not particulary decent for defending a set spot but for just general mayhem and killing its great

Jump pad is very useful, however making it destructable or having a shorter timer on it might be an idea.

Gameplay wise, it feels REALLY smooth now. Great stuff
JayDee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 02:20 PM   #37
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

i dunno what the whole beef w/ the "sgs are weak" are, but sgs seem more powerful now...last night i was on 2 full pubs for 2 hours, dustbowl and aardvark, and the highest frags counts were by engies...on both maps, on both sides;

in addition, there were more scouts on each team; i noticed at least 3 on both sides on aardvark; and they were building the jumppads for both getting in the base and getting out w/ the flag; this is a good sign since 1.11 was so geared toward defense, that often, there were usually less than 3 or 4 on O on a 11 vs 11 game;

on dustbowl especially, w/ the increased grounded push by sgs and radius increase for both soldiers and demoman, it's difficult to get out of the spawn; the jumppads actually helped the attacking team once they were out of spawn, to help hw and soliers move ahead faster; even then, the opponents used them too and re-installed sgs and demoman at spawn again; last nights game, on e0, the attacking team lost even though the flag was almost there;

as for the hwguy, i'm not quite understanding the problem: hwguys fire so fast that they run out of ammo, so they should be given more, so that they can shoot longer at that firing rate? the reason why hw runs out so fast is when you hold it down to make it shoot fast, it seems to shoot ~40 bullets/second, where as if you don't hold it down, but clamp(+attack2), the hw can maintain a steady, more accurate and lower firing rate; so by giving the hw more bullets, isn't that's going to over power the hw since most people wouldn't care to spare bullets, but always try to use the superfiring rate?

in conclusion, first impressions suck; it's all about the data over a period of time that will provide any useful feedback

[edit] the dustbowl map i was in was the one ghostbuster was in; he expressed my sentiments regarding that in his post;

also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftershock
Agreed about dispenser ammo tick time. An HW with a dispenser should not run out of ammo IMO.
but see, there were like 3 hw standing around the dispensor...in which case, i think it's ok for the dispensor to run out of ammo...

Last edited by Dr.Uudge; 02-16-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 02:27 PM   #38
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Agressive Medic or Pyro...as long as I can fly baby!
Gametype: CTF
I didn't play it for a ton of time, but in the short time I did, I liked quite a bit:
-Jump pads are cool, but they always push you in the direction you're facing, not which way you're moving....no going backwards into one.
-Pyro's flame push is fun as hell...who needs ladders now?
-The Soldier's new nail grenades rock.
-The trails and halos on nades are quite cool...although I may be in support of the team color idea, rather than nade ID.
-The SGs seem much more deadly now.

Thing to fix, besides the above mentioned:
-The Soldier is too brightly colored.
-I want the Medkit selectable by right-clicking...I'm really used to that.

One question for the Beta testers:
-Were you guys happy with the increase to offensive strength?
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”"
- George Carlin
Peon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 02:33 PM   #39
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

If u hold the AC to the maximum it unleashes a huge firing rate that would be overpowered if u could hold that shit for long, so we got the clamping system, wich u have to use smartly, you dont need to always fill the bar to the maximum, just do it for the half or very little of the enemy is far, thats why the clamping system is here, on 1.11 u had to keep it as high as posible but with out overheating, now that overheating is gone, u dont have to keep it as high as posible but simply using the fire rate that is necesary, far = low, medium = medium, close = high.
GhostBuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #40
Lt Llama

I love the new conc animation and that there is less conc effect, noones gonna miss it. Concing at walls feels very familiar now if you are a tfc concer like me. Big cudos to to AfterShock and team for fixing this. There are more conc physics that could be tweeked but this was a really really important upgrade for us concers.

My second positive impression is that FF runs way better for me than before. That means I can enjoy a -10-12 player pub server without to big fps issues.

Lots of players have dropped from my server today because if differant class tables aka not current client. I really hope they do upgrade and come back .