Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #21
JECS

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
i never said anything about authentication. i do everything manually and i always use custom installing for everything. i dont want programs doing it for me. i run my computer lean. even my windows is a modified lite version. i dont want extra crap on here that isnt required. plus theres a chance i need to create an account. i dont want that..
crosus = not required = crap
JECS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2007, 11:27 PM   #22
richard nixon

seems like a good idea but i like the manual way

so ill go with JECS on this one
richard nixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2007, 11:43 PM   #23
DrEvil
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Wouldn't want to make anything easier on the devs would ya. Appreciate it.
DrEvil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2007, 11:44 PM   #24
Major Lee High
Retired Mapper

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
If they are going to update it weekly/daily I think its a good move.

If not, I agree that its useless and might as well just upload a zip file to filefront or megaupload or something easy.

Haven't played with it much yet, but its got my WoW mods and ET mods listed, if it updates all those thats kinda cool too. Be nice if custom mods/mappers could keep their stuff updated with this too.
Major Lee High is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2007, 11:56 PM   #25
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JECS
i never said anything about authentication. i do everything manually and i always use custom installing for everything. i dont want programs doing it for me. i run my computer lean. even my windows is a modified lite version. i dont want extra crap on here that isnt required. plus theres a chance i need to create an account. i dont want that..
crosus = not required = crap
your face is not required.

there's no reason to be spiteful about crosus whatsoever, stop being spiteful about it. noone's said we're removing archived downloads.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:48 AM   #26
JECS

that was the impression i was given from previous posts

Old 11-03-2007, 06:59 AM   #27
punkrockrocks
When patch will out?

JECS, do you have a 2gb hard drive or something?
Seriously, CrosuS is so small and insignificant, not to mention it's spyware free, just deal with it. If you quit on FF that easily, go play a game for people with shorter attention spans.
punkrockrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2007, 07:07 AM   #28
JECS

thats a great way to encourage more people to join the game. especially since there are so many people playing it... no i have 240gb. its not about the space it takes. i just dont want excess crap on my computer. its more about efficiency. the less it takes to get a job done the better. if its not required, and its still being used, its inefficient. plus thats one more membership i need to sign up for which i dont need, since i dont use the program for anything else and dont intend to. and i am switching games.. timeshift was just released, and crysis and cod4 are coming out very soon. and your post wasnt even needed because as mervaka said the archived downloads arent being removed which is what i thought was going to happen.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:47 AM   #29
Bakedbean
Crap, where's a gun!?

Quote:
thats a great way to encourage more people to join the game. especially since there are so many people playing it... no i have 240gb. its not about the space it takes. i just dont want excess crap on my computer. its more about efficiency. the less it takes to get a job done the better. if its not required, and its still being used, its inefficient. plus thats one more membership i need to sign up for which i dont need, since i dont use the program for anything else and dont intend to. and i am switching games.. timeshift was just released, and crysis and cod4 are coming out very soon. and your post wasnt even needed because as mervaka said the archived downloads arent being removed which is what i thought was going to happen.
Change is good, especially if we can get updates this easily with Crosus.

JECS, It seems you never even looked at the software to see what it could do or the many games it supports.
If your worried about inefficiency then you best stop using windows and switch to Linux. LOL
Bakedbean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2007, 02:26 PM   #30
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

I miss the WON days too but I'll take small updates that take 2-5 minutes over the old way of hunting down a mirror that had not maxed out its bandwidth or have a "line" to wait in for an hour before I could even download it any day.

I remember when they had to announce patches almost a month in advance just so people could get ready for them. If that patch failed or created a new bug you had to go through it again.

Steam really isn't that bad. Now you can add shortcuts to non steam games and use it as a launcher all on its own. How is that not practical? If you have a computer strictly for gaming Steam could almost be used as a shell by itself.
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2007, 04:49 PM   #31
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
I hope this is setup with a standard update day - Monday (or maybe the 1st and 3rd Monday of every month) for example. That way the server mods could do a check on the pre-scheduled update days and we'd not have to worry about having mismatched client/server files.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:44 PM   #32
JECS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakedbean
Change is good, especially if we can get updates this easily with Crosus.

JECS, It seems you never even looked at the software to see what it could do or the many games it supports.
If your worried about inefficiency then you best stop using windows and switch to Linux. LOL
i dont like change, i like routine.

why would i look at something i dont need?

i would love nothing more than to use linux but its just not viable for me right now. ms gets worse and worse every day and im sure one day linux will become standard. they lack support. its been a few years since i last tried to use it but when i did i had no drivers for my nic. so then i had to try to get back to windows and had a fun time trying to redo the partitions. it was just an overall bad experience so ive been avoiding it. alao kept hearing that windows programs wouldnt work which obviously isnt the case anymore, though i still dont know much about it. i wouldnt really call linux more efficient. all the companies make their drivers primarily for windows and even still they are full of problems.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:59 PM   #33
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
I personally do not mind Crosus... it uses 0% of my CPU's power and probably very little when an incoming update is coming in. It also uses only 32MB of RAM, so that is 3.125% of the 1 gig I have installed.

I know what you mean about resources. I like to keep things pretty tidy as is.

Now if only I remembered how to remove that stupid volume control icon. ):

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2007, 09:24 PM   #34
asdaa

Quote:
wow..do not make this mandatory... if the only way i am able to update my game is with some thirdparty software then im going to end up not playing ff anymore, sooner than expected

*everyone applause*
seriously, corsus sucks. my experiences with it were that it stopped dling at 70% and 2nd time didnt start dling at all. thank god someone upped the patch to filefront.
asdaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2007, 10:57 PM   #35
groovyf
In the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Now if only I remembered how to remove that stupid volume control icon. ):
Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices... "Place volume icon in the taskbar"

groovyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2007, 11:22 PM   #36
Major Lee High
Retired Mapper

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Imo, crosus as it is seems better for beta work (not sure if you can make it private).

Public releases should be kept the way they were.

If everyone would use it, and the dev team actually released stuff on it daily/weekly, there would still be some people who don't like it.
Major Lee High is offline   Reply With Quote