Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 10-30-2007, 02:32 AM   #1
CaLeB-
Whitest Kid You Know
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
[REQUEST] FF_XmasWell

Hello. I don't post around here often, but I do play Fortress Forever frequently. I remember back in the day of TFC that a guy nicknamed LeeW created a map called XmaxWell. I was young, but damn I loved that map. To recall your memory, here are some snapshots:

Outdoors:

Indoors:

Flagroom:

Since Christmas is only two months away, I'm proud to suggest that someone should recreate this wonderful map for Fortress Forever. I'm sure servers will use this map around the Christmas holidays.
CaLeB- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2007, 03:08 AM   #2
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Someone also needs to remake the map December. I had a hella great time in the secret disco room just partying!
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2007, 03:45 AM   #3
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
This should be renamed the "Please make a Christmas-theme map thread", because here I am adding a third choice.

This is one of the few maps I know of that is not an xmasACTUALMAPNAME sort of remake (which are great, I know), but it was specifically created as a winter holidays map.

I have been saying that someone should create an Xmas map for weeks now, but personally I would like to see grinch remade. (You can download it from the link I have just provided).

I forget how to class this map; I think it is Attack and Defend? If the defending team defends successfully, then they score 25 points, and if the attacking team succeeds in their objective then THEY score 25 points. Teams never switch.

Quote:

First we start off in Red Team's spawn. Red Team is trying to save Christmas and protect the Christmas tree in their base. Green Team is trying to ruin it. The Red Spawn has this security monitor, which if you click on it...
Quote:

...shows you a view of Storage Area 1, where the tree is kept.
Quote:

Here is me actually IN Storage Area 1, with the aforementioned camera clearly visible to the left. The Green Team's objective is to get back into the base here and detpack the tree.
Quote:

This is the front of Red's base. Note the chimney up top?
Quote:

Yes...
Quote:

...you can go down the chimney.
Quote:

This is the ice lake in the yard which shows both bases. Green's base has a respawn turret outside of it, so if you go past the ice lake towards their base it attacks you. This forces Red to be completely defensive and makes yard D unappealing.
Quote:

This is the interior of the Green base. The water down there goes nowhere, it is just decorative. On the deck directly underneath me (where you can not see) is the way to the front door. If I go off to the sides...
Quote:

...I can come out the secret door which is built into the stone. TFC architecture does a poor job of concealing it when it is closed, but something really cool could be done with FF I bet.
Quote:

This room leads straight to Storage Area 1 where the tree is kept. Normally there are lasers here. If someone on Red works their way around to the tree room and comes out the other side, they can hit the Security Override and shut down the lasers for 60 seconds. 60 seconds is a lot of time in this map...
Quote:

...because each round is 5 minutes long. Every round starts at "11:55PM - 5 minutes to midnight" and the Grinches (Green Team) have exactly that long to get into the Red base and detpack the tree. If they succeed, they are presented with "Green team scores! Christmas is ruined."
The base is actually quite small when it comes to vertical height (there is not a lot of room to conc around), so demomen and Engineers are limited to 2 on each team (built into the map). Personally I would like to see this map not just remade but reimagined (much like ff_well was, the little changes here and there really make the map great). Something a bit bigger that could better accomidate the awesome movement skills in Fortress Forever.

But hey, I will be happy with any one of these maps being made... we need somethin' to celebrate the holidays properly. And by properly I mean fighting out it with explosives and shotguns in Fortress Forever. (:

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2007, 05:10 AM   #4
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I'll gladly throw alpine_escape aside for a little bit to give that map (grinch) an attempt... can't say how good it'll be though. If someone wants to work with me to do textures and displacements, we can make it prettiful.

Who's with me!?

BTW I LOVE Christmas themed maps... I've emailed the original mapper, going to see what he says.

First infraction! Flaming!

Last edited by zSilver_Fox; 10-30-2007 at 05:17 AM.
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2007, 05:15 AM   #5
punkrockrocks
When patch will out?

hell yeah for xmaswell and christmas themed maps!!! we need to get at least 3 out before christmas and make a server devoted to them. hah.
punkrockrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2007, 06:15 AM   #6
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
I'll gladly throw alpine_escape aside for a little bit to give that map (grinch) an attempt... can't say how good it'll be though. If someone wants to work with me to do textures and displacements, we can make it prettiful.

Who's with me!?

BTW I LOVE Christmas themed maps... I've emailed the original mapper, going to see what he says.
Fuck yeah man!

I hope you make the tree explosion look bitchin'. In TFC the tree just vanishes. In FF it should like... fall over and land on some poor bastard Engineer who happens to be unlucky enough to be standing there.

I think the spawn turrets might be better replaced with lasers or something to guarantee protection for the Green base.

"Look at all of these presents under the tree! My, aren't they nice! Wait, why is that one present beeping? HOLY F-" *THWOOOOOM*

Old 10-30-2007, 06:37 AM   #7
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Get me the props and all your wishes shall come true. I'll start work on it sometime soon. PM me or something with more pics, I lack TFC atm. Nothing will be released to the public though untill I either get a reply, or a week or two goes by.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:58 PM   #8
barronofhellion

lol as long as you can shoot/toss xmas presents as grenades and it says merry xmas about every 5 mins ... it helps with the maps
barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2007, 07:17 PM   #9
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barronofhellion
lol as long as you can shoot/toss xmas presents as grenades and it says merry xmas about every 5 mins ... it helps with the maps
Isn't that something steam / valve forces to happen...like on steam's b-day the newb quotes and whatnot? Or is that all server side?
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2007, 10:43 PM   #10
foamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
Someone also needs to remake the map December. I had a hella great time in the secret disco room just partying!
If you show me some screan shots of what it look like and where the sectret teleport it i could maybe remake it i might try to remake this but hell i dont know how to make snow....
foamy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2007, 11:11 PM   #11
barronofhellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
Isn't that something steam / valve forces to happen...like on steam's b-day the newb quotes and whatnot? Or is that all server side?
well i think its a server option to have on, because i plaied many a server that was normal on xmas/bday newyear
barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 04:29 AM   #12
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Ok, got a good idea of green spawn area. Gonna get to work on it.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:18 AM   #13
5chaap2k
XS4ALL Games

well if the maps are here.. im willing to make my 24/7 duckhunt server a XMASS server .. but i need atleast 2 xmass maps pref. ctf
5chaap2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 11:30 AM   #14
stino

i'll theme my flag4sky to a xmass map big tree in the middle and a lot of snow
stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 02:06 PM   #15
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy
If you show me some screan shots of what it look like and where the sectret teleport it i could maybe remake it i might try to remake this but hell i dont know how to make snow....
That can be arranged!!!!!
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 06:40 AM   #16
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stino
i'll theme my flag4sky to a xmass map big tree in the middle and a lot of snow
1) Yes.

2) Make a model of a sleigh and some reindeer, and have it floating in the distance (clipped off, because we know some enterprising player will figure out how to triple conc or something over to it). Maybe even have it moving around the map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy
Well I just started figuring out how to map, but my guess would be the ground would still be flat... and then on top of that, you would make brushes textured with snow. Then, use Tie to Entity to make the snow brushes "func_brush" and change the Solidity to "Never Solid". Bam. The ground stays the same and people have snow they can walk through.

REQUEST:

What we really need here is good models of the following:
  • Santa's Sleigh
  • Christmas Tree(s)
  • Present (a few different sizes/types)
  • Fireplace
  • Christmas String Lights
  • Various other Winter holiday decorations (garland, bells, etc.)
I say models and not prefab brushes because it would be cool for CTF maps... you can put a tree in a flag room with a present where the flag would normally be, and it would be "CTP" (Capture The Present") style gameplay.

But the tree is priority!

If someone can figure out the tree and presents at least, I have a great idea for a map that would probably not take too much time.

Last edited by Ihmhi; 11-01-2007 at 06:47 AM.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:51 PM   #17
5chaap2k
XS4ALL Games

sounds awesome
5chaap2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 04:10 PM   #18
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
1) Yes.

2) Make a model of a sleigh and some reindeer, and have it floating in the distance (clipped off, because we know some enterprising player will figure out how to triple conc or something over to it). Maybe even have it moving around the map.
If it wasn't clipped off someone would get a sniper on it somehow xP

Old 11-01-2007, 05:58 PM   #19
stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
1) Yes.

Well I just started figuring out how to map, but my guess would be the ground would still be flat... and then on top of that, you would make brushes textured with snow. Then, use Tie to Entity to make the snow brushes "func_brush" and change the Solidity to "Never Solid". Bam. The ground stays the same and people have snow they can walk through.

REQUEST:

What we really need here is good models of the following:
  • Santa's Sleigh
  • Christmas Tree(s)
  • Present (a few different sizes/types)
  • Fireplace
  • Christmas String Lights
  • Various other Winter holiday decorations (garland, bells, etc.)
I say models and not prefab brushes because it would be cool for CTF maps... you can put a tree in a flag room with a present where the flag would normally be, and it would be "CTP" (Capture The Present") style gameplay.

But the tree is priority!

If someone can figure out the tree and presents at least, I have a great idea for a map that would probably not take too much time.

make it urban themed, so capture the present from one house to another, and maybe 4 teams to make the mayhem complete

(4 teams doesn't mean a lot of players needed, just lock 2 bases if there are not enough players and limit it to 2 teams)

and for the snow, better use displacements those can be non solid to, but most of all they can have some nice shapes, look at my site for de_snowfactory (css map) and you'll see what i mean
stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 09:17 AM   #20
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Status update?