Old 11-21-2008, 01:15 AM   #41
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
they inform of who goes down, throw grenades intelligentaly, take cover and switch each other to cover each other. they also know when you have your flashlight on, and can do cool melee attacks
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2008, 01:26 AM   #42
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
they inform of who goes down, throw grenades intelligentaly, take cover and switch each other to cover each other. they also know when you have your flashlight on, and can do cool melee attacks
They also walk in to your line of fire like they haven't a clue of whats going on around them.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2008, 01:56 AM   #43
tu!

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
can anyone else comment on l4d ai?
tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2008, 02:04 AM   #44
Caboose45

Class/Position: O Heavy, D Heavy
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: -lostjesters-
Quote:
Originally Posted by tu!
can anyone else comment on l4d ai?
I think it's pretty good; as a side note I don't think I have ever been shot by an AI teammate, not even when I try to run in their line of fire.

They adjust pretty well to the situation, such as watching your back in hallways and such and checking rooms that have been unchecked.

The only problem I see is that (particularly in single player) they don't take the lead and don't follow you close enough sometimes
Caboose45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2008, 02:36 AM   #45
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caboose45
as a side note I don't think I have ever been shot by an AI teammate, not even when I try to run in their line of fire.
I have....in BF2....cause the AI....is that good...

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2008, 03:02 AM   #46
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caboose45
I think it's pretty good; as a side note I don't think I have ever been shot by an AI teammate, not even when I try to run in their line of fire.

They adjust pretty well to the situation, such as watching your back in hallways and such and checking rooms that have been unchecked.

The only problem I see is that (particularly in single player) they don't take the lead and don't follow you close enough sometimes
I'll add to this and show some of the major flaws that can seriously ruin your experience.

1. There is no option for telling them what to do, so if they decide to climb up a ladder ahead of you, well, looks like you're not going up that ladder as they'll stand at the top of it "protecting you" for an hour and a half. Because they are RIGHT ON TOP of the ladder, you can't get up.

2. They will run head first in to your fire, but won't run in to the other AI's line of fire. An example:

I'm shooting down a hallway with my sniper rifle. Bam. Bam. Bam. Dead zombies. Then, a boomer appears behind us and infects him. Instead of staying put and going in to a corner like a real person would do, he runs in front of me, where the zombies are coming, and I shoot him as a hunter happens to pounce on him.

He died. Why? Because the AI is told to react as a protector when anyone becomes barfed upon. Even if he is the one who has been barfed on.

3. If you have more than one player (I.E. any time you don't have a full game) the AI will run back and forth between your players. If you have a person in the back shooting a tank and falling back while the others get to safety, that one AI will run back and forth between the two.

4. Often looks right at you getting tongued by a smoker and just stands there until you start taking damage.

Good AI? Can't say that it is. Too protective, never feels like it's under a sense of panic, pinpoint accurate, never friendly fires, not very observant of its surroundings, and just very AI like.

Kodus for it knowing how to jump on things.

Ronald Reagan

Old 11-21-2008, 03:15 AM   #47
greenday5494
D&A Member

you can walk thru your teammates, just like in TF2...

Old 11-21-2008, 03:30 AM   #48
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
you can walk thru your teammates, just like in TF2...
Yes, you can. You'll also probably notice that you get nudged in one direction. What does that nudge do? Throw you off the ladder.

Ronald Reagan

Old 11-21-2008, 04:12 AM   #49
greenday5494
D&A Member

it's not that drastic. i get up ladders just fine

Old 11-21-2008, 05:01 AM   #50
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
it's not that drastic. i get up ladders just fine
Have you actually tried climbing up a ladder with an AI standing right at the top? Specifically at the end of No Mercy? You'll spend an hour on that one god damned spot.

It is that drastic because a slight nudge knocks you off of the ladder.

Ronald Reagan

Old 11-21-2008, 07:48 AM   #51
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
yeah I notice that myself
The ladder by the ele

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #52
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
and the one getting out of the sewer.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #53
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
The bots are always behind me.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #54
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
The bots are always behind me.
They usually will be when you play alone. If you're playing in a group of people, they'll bounce back and forth between the person in the front and the person in the back. This usually means they'll stand on the ladder for the rest of the game until a tank comes and stomps you.

I would much prefer an option to play without the bots and have the AI director scale it like it's supposed to do .

Ronald Reagan

Old 11-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #55
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Yeah sometimes we would kill the bots but then they start bitching to take them out of the closet :/

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #56
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
The WC3 AI bothers me a good bit because it has a remnant of the Starcraft AI. It gives up.

It reaches a point where they have resources left but they just... stop attacking. I created a siege map for WC3 wherein two players defend a mountain stronghold against four assaulting players. Playing against computers, well... they do great initially, but eventually they just give up.

For instance, if you wipe out a base at a computer player's start location, it will immediately make efforts to rebuild a base at that location - even if the gold mine is depleted. No player would actually go and rebuild a base with no economic support nearby.

I'd like to see varying strategies for base-building in RTS AIs - the "fortress" player: "Yes, I DO need thirty towers around my base." The "guerilla" player: "Ha, that wasn't my only base! I have ten more!" Stuff like that.

Racing games notoriously cheat like this as well. If you're ahead of a computer opponent in a race, they are granted additional speed. I remember a car that was several tiers down (I think in NFS: Carbon) that managed to stay relatively close on my tail, defying the laws of physics themselves.

Cheating in AI is just lazy coding IMO.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2008, 06:02 PM   #57
greenday5494
D&A Member

i've noticed that too

Old 12-01-2008, 12:42 AM   #58
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Ahh racing games... NFS is terrible at that. I mean, it's great for keeping you on your toes but it sucks for other reasons. Sometimes you can have the best run of your life and still finish last if you screw up a little near the finish line. Or you could have your worst run and finish 1st by not screwing up near the finish line. AI cars are speed boosted if you go really fast and they slow down if you suck which I think fucks the overall experience imo cause it's totally unfair and what's worst than an unfair AI opponent.
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2008, 01:52 AM   #59
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Yep. Any time an AI cheats, it detracts from the game.

L4D does this as well. If one of the bots friendly fire you (they do and will), you take no damage. Instead, your screen jerks like it would if you took damage. I found this out the other day when playing with my dad. Really made me say "Wow."

I understand the reasoning though. If an AI continually friendly fired you, you'd get pissed.

Ronald Reagan

Old 12-01-2008, 02:20 AM   #60
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

I can live with not taking damage from my bots in L4D but watching cars do 10000km/h on the minimap to catch up on me in a race is another story lol.
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote