Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 06-20-2005, 05:52 PM   #1
o_thedingo

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
HL1 can't run Totalwar

I wanted to run through Totalwar to get a feel for how hard it might be to recreate this map. Keep in mind I haven't run TFC for a looooong time, I just re-installed it via Steam. I unzipped the map files into my tfc/maps directory, but when I try to run it I get "Cannot open totalwar.wad".

A little help? I have run a few other custom maps I downloaded so it just seems to be an issue with this one.
o_thedingo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2005, 06:09 PM   #2
o_player

Did the .zip file come with the wad file? If it didn't you will have to download the map again from somewhere else and hope it has the wad file with it.
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2005, 06:15 PM   #3
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

You've got to install the .wad properly, it goes in the root /tfc/ directory. If the .zip doesn't have the .wad, download the map from a known website to make sure everything is included.

Old 06-20-2005, 07:26 PM   #4
o_donny

I havent played totalwar ever cause of this "bug". I used to play alot in jolt's 02 classic maps server and every time totalwar came I got the same error. I downloaded it via steam. Steam didnt download the .wad?
Dunno.
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2005, 07:31 PM   #5
o_player

I think there was/is a problem when trying to download a wad file through Steam where it didn't download it properly or at all but I am not sure.
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2005, 07:40 PM   #6
o_donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
I think there was/is a problem when trying do download a wad file through Steam where it didn't download it properly or at all but I am not sure.
Totalwar was only one which was bugged for me atleast. Every oher .wad has been working like coffee machine. Dont ask why I putted coffee machine in there.
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2005, 09:26 PM   #7
o_jinx

ffs it's not that map's fault, or the mapper's- that map was out loooonnnngg before steam came around. Just find the wad and put it where it goes. How long have you been playing Half-Life?!
o_jinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2005, 09:27 PM   #8
o_drahk

Re: HL1 can't run Totalwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDingo
I wanted to run through Totalwar to get a feel for how hard it might be to recreate this map. Keep in mind I haven't run TFC for a looooong time, I just re-installed it via Steam. I unzipped the map files into my tfc/maps directory, but when I try to run it I get "Cannot open totalwar.wad".

A little help? I have run a few other custom maps I downloaded so it just seems to be an issue with this one.
If your the one thinking of remaking this map you might wanna read up on some tuts if you dont know about wads. NOTE: im not trying to flame just some advice.
o_drahk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2005, 10:32 PM   #9
o_thedingo

I know what a wad file is, silly wabbit. And the download I got included the file. Just wondering if someone knew the correct location for it (which Defrag seems to have provided). I haven't played TFC since Steam came out so I wasn't familiar with the process. Other maps I downloaded had the directories imbedded in the .zip so they worked without a hitch.

And the probability of me making a good remake of Totalwar is about 1 zillion to 1. But it might be something fun for me to fiddle around with.

Old 06-21-2005, 01:29 AM   #10
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

"Steam" doesn't download maps. The server sends you the map file (always has done), but unless the server's .res file is set up correctly for the map, the extra resources won't be downloaded -- you'll get the map but no wad / models / whatever else extra was used. You can't run a map without having all of the models, sounds, wads and so forth. Solution: google totalwar.zip and read the installation notes :P

Old 06-21-2005, 02:50 AM   #11
o_thedingo

Actually your first suggestion worked. I just moved the wad file to the /tfc directory.

Old 06-21-2005, 02:51 AM   #12
o_meisteh

http://maps.ozfortress.com/t/totalwar.zip

that has the wad file. as defrag said, just chuck it in /tfc/
o_meisteh is offline   Reply With Quote