Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
JackBauer

Posts Rated Helpful 20 Times
Fortress Forever Blog

I don't think too many FF players actually visit this forum, especially the "pub community" is probably not aware of this board.

I think we should have one community site, that gathers all infos on patches, community activities as in leagues, tournaments, fun nights etc and FF in general. an easy blog would do the trick in my humble opinion.

if we kept it up to date, there would be at least some signs out there, that the game ain't completely dead yet. also it could be used as a commercial site to attract some new players.

to make sure it won't fail completely (it might, but at least not completely), a few things need to be done:

1. the devs need to agree with the idea. if possible, they could provide the blogwriters with infos on upcoming and released patches. also the devs have their own say, they can use the blog for their own purposes too. communication between the writers and the devs is essential.

2. it also requires help of the major server owners (ze, talos and ot). not only should they spam the blog url once in a while, also a note in the server info could be useful. communication is vital once again. a server owner can also advertise his/her/their new mapcycles, achievements (like zE), server community sites etc.

3. irc activity. promote the blog (especially pickup chans), set up an irc channel if necessary.

4. everybody. tell your friends and foes, spam the url in every forum, blog, site whatever. this can't be a success if no one knows about it. the more the better.

if you still are reading my post, then well done so far btw, you might wonder who actually sets up the blog.. well to be honest, I don't know either.
I would do it, but as you can see English ain't my first language and I'm also a blog n00b. if it's full of grammar and spelling mistakes, people might don't take it seriouly.

However I'm willing to contribute and help in any way (could translate the blog in other languages for example).

I'd like to present anyone a pic of my vision. like I said, I'm a blog n00b, this was my first blog ever (took me 20 mins to get into it haha). the banner is shamefully stolen off the FF site. it's just a test to show you guys what I'm talking about.

also the design is horrible, the font sucks ass. everything can be modified.

things like FFWiki, Youtube, Facebook etc could be added too. it's just a lousy blueprint.

something like this: http://fortressforevertest.wordpress.com/

thoughts?

Last edited by JackBauer; 11-18-2010 at 12:52 AM.
JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 03:20 AM   #2
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
It all depends on the person. They would need to be willing to create their own content, which means lots of writing and talking to various people in order to get information. That would require a skilled person and a big time investment. They'd have to be unbiased in whatever they write about.

If that person came around, I'd be willing to give them full access to the devs and use of the FF front page.
Crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 03:30 AM   #3
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl View Post
If that person came around, I'd be willing to give them full access to the devs and use of the FF front page.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
I offered to write for a Fortress Forever blog a few months back. I would have just wrote something down and gave it to the developers to use. No front-page access needed nor some arbitrary development team tag or access! Of course, because the offer comes from me, the development team shoots it down. That’s some hardcore grudge. Good way to run your mod, on personal vendettas!

Like the time I brought up zE being disallowed in beta, despite the beta team needing all the help it could get, and Green Mushy went on to say he "seems like an idiot, someone who would contribute nothing to this game." Way to insult one of FF's most prized contributors who has offered premium servers to the community loaded with dozens of excellent well-made skill maps. This mod will go far with that attitude.

(The current excuse now for zE's exclusion is the language barrier, despite the fact that a lot of people in the community can speak to zE and be understood as well as understand him without a problem. Sure, he doesn't write walls of text like I do, but you can still understand him. I even offered to explain points to him and detail his points back to the dev team if ever it were necessary.

Before this excuse, it was because he was too strong-minded toward making FF into TFC:Source, which is a bullshit excuse because a lot of beta testers (You know, the 50 or so inactive ones) want(ed) the same thing. Before all of this, it was rumored that he was excluded because he brought gas grenades back on his server, because the community wanted them. Lol mad much because someone else does a better job satisfying the community than you?)
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
shut up bridget
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Bridget
Banned

Someone's mad because I'm telling the truth.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
Like the time I brought up zE being disallowed in beta, despite the beta team needing all the help it could get, and Green Mushy went on to say he "seems like an idiot, someone who would contribute nothing to this game." Way to insult one of FF's most prized contributors who has offered premium servers to the community loaded with dozens of excellent well-made skill maps. This mod will go far with that attitude.

(The current excuse now for zE's exclusion is the language barrier, despite the fact that a lot of people in the community can speak to zE and be understood as well as understand him without a problem. Sure, he doesn't write walls of text like I do, but you can still understand him. I even offered to explain points to him and detail his points back to the dev team if ever it were necessary.

Before this excuse, it was because he was too strong-minded toward making FF into TFC:Source, which is a bullshit excuse because a lot of beta testers (You know, the 50 or so inactive ones) want(ed) the same thing. Before all of this, it was rumored that he was excluded because he brought gas grenades back on his server, because the community wanted them. Lol mad much because someone else does a better job satisfying the community than you?)
For someone who talks about intellectual honesty... you don't seem to care about practicing what you preach.

Even the word "excuse" is dishonest.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
I don't understand 3/4th of what zE says.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #9
Bridget
Banned

That says more about you than zE.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:55 PM   #10
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Bri stop stirring the pot, damn.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #11
Born_In_Xixax

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Advertising this site and the forums via server in-game messaging and pickup channel spam seems like a good idea.

IMHO there is not enough going on to justify a blog. Not shooting it down - it would be fantastic to have a daily blog of interesting articles about FF and the community, linking into a robust discussion forum - just saying it's a lot of work, made harder without much grist to mill.
Born_In_Xixax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
For someone who talks about intellectual honesty... you don't seem to care about practicing what you preach.

Even the word "excuse" is dishonest.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees that trend.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #13
Skillet

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born_In_Xixax View Post
Advertising this site and the forums via server in-game messaging and pickup channel spam seems like a good idea.

IMHO there is not enough going on to justify a blog. Not shooting it down - it would be fantastic to have a daily blog of interesting articles about FF and the community, linking into a robust discussion forum - just saying it's a lot of work, made harder without much grist to mill.
can you please join irc ff.pickup, you seem like really cool guy I only see you in-game though.
Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #14
zE
Pew pew ze beams

Gametype: Gathers
Affiliations: pew pew
A post about me Lol and ricey stfu : p But anyway my care´o´meter is really low atm, and about the beta testers in Euroland and stuff, only caesium friends are acepted basicly and we aren´t big friends so thats why : P
And that argument of me beyng all about tfc source isnt true at all at the moment. Atm im all about keeping with the present, Achivements, Rewards for wining, Unlocks, Ranks, Customizing etc, but those wont happen in ff world i supose.

I mean i just hate shooters type of games like mw2, but i gave it a try, i kiled some dudes and was promoted to sargent or whatever i was wow cool, then i saw that i could unlock this cool gun at next level so i played a bit more and more, and in the end after 5 hours i kinda had some fun, and in the next day i had a incentive to continue to unlock more stuff eran more $ buy more stuff and rank a bit more.
This wont happen in ff i supose but the next big "fortress" game out will have those for sure, thats what fills the servers and makes players play the game 3 times longer.
zE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #15
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zE View Post
I mean i just hate shooters type of games like mw2, but i gave it a try, i kiled some dudes and was promoted to sargent or whatever i was wow cool, then i saw that i could unlock this cool gun at next level so i played a bit more and more, and in the end after 5 hours i kinda had some fun, and in the next day i had a incentive to continue to unlock more stuff eran more $ buy more stuff and rank a bit more.
This wont happen in ff i supose but the next big "fortress" game out will have those for sure, thats what fills the servers and makes players play the game 3 times longer..
Sacrifice TF gameplay and add micro-transactions and stupid shit to unlock = TEAM FORTRESS 2.

Last edited by moosh; 11-18-2010 at 09:47 PM.
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 09:50 PM   #16
Bridget
Banned

SHHH ZE, WE'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND YOU.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:55 PM   #17
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
zE, it would help people understand you if you used less abbreviations (omg,afaik,imo) and proper spelling (suppose,achievements,sargeant).

Just a heads up.
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #18
zE
Pew pew ze beams

Gametype: Gathers
Affiliations: pew pew
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh View Post
Sacrifice TF gameplay and add micro-transactions and stupid shit to unlock = TEAM FORTRESS 2.
I play FortressForever because the gameplay only and nothing more.

What gameplay have to do with ranks ? U could argue that unlocks could mess with it, but it depends, you can tweak it to still be balanced and be better in some core aspects and worst in others.

I´m just looking at the big picture and telling my perspective of how to make the game more enjoyable and rewarding for new players, and also to old dudes like me who still enjoy the concept of reward after sucefully doing something in game that helps your team.

But anyway that shows that im not stuck in the tfc source concept, as I sayd before i dont even care more if sniper is removed if engeneer gets 10 times stronger if it gets more players good.
zE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 11:50 PM   #19
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Ranks would be cool, actually. It wouldn't affect gameplay, but would give players incentive to play(more), become good(higher rank) at individual classes, and have the ability to show that off besides pwning people.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2010, 12:20 AM   #20
Bridget
Banned

Yeah, get to work on it now, and you'll be able to release it by 2030.