Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:06 AM   #21
summit

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Don't know what you're talking about - I've got a 3-4 year old system running everything but texture level on high (textures on mid).

Old 09-18-2007, 09:07 AM   #22
snips

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
few seconds.. lmore ike an hour of slow annoying gameplay

Old 09-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #23
summit

You've done nothing more than prove my point - you're trying to use an hour as the basis of your entire opinion on a new game you've never touched prior? It wouldn't matter anyway, the bias is oozing through.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:10 AM   #24
Anthraxium[WU]
D&A Member

Class/Position: D Soldier
Affiliations: Notorious WU Tang
only took me an hour to realize that FF is the shiznit

Old 09-18-2007, 09:10 AM   #25
Tarron

its a good game, seems balanced, pitty i hate cp's

one thing that was good in tf2 was the fact that i had fps going from 60-100 *maxed* and it felt smooth even with low fps, whilst in ff when it felt really choppy even with good fps...

Old 09-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #26
Norris
The Good German

damn I'm disappointed that I can't play it here at work. 6,5 untill my wait for dustbowl is over

Old 09-18-2007, 09:15 AM   #27
Norris
The Good German

Guys post screenies!

Old 09-18-2007, 09:15 AM   #28
snips

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit
You've done nothing more than prove my point - you're trying to use an hour as the basis of your entire opinion on a new game you've never touched prior? It wouldn't matter anyway, the bias is oozing through.

... It doesn't take hours and hours of game play to come to the knowledge if a game is shitty or not.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:20 AM   #29
summit

lol nice comment, and you can tell me that you can find out all the games nuances in an hour, oh?

I guess it doesn't take hours and hours of reading through opinions like yours to realise bias when you see it. Disappointing, because it doesn't do FF any good - and FF is a great mod. But a mod entrenched with an arrogant attitude seldom lasts long.

Luckily the FF devs have been very grounded and have an awesome attitude. You however, had made your mind up before you started playing TF2.

Oh well, each to their own :S

Old 09-18-2007, 09:33 AM   #30
Hipshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concave
TF2 is hands down the worst FPS I have ever seen in 12 years of gaming.
=)

Old 09-18-2007, 09:34 AM   #31
snips

I've played TF2. Nothing like TFC, really. Disappointed is all I am.

I haven't found all the nuisances in the game, but I've found the biggest to me, respawn time, no bhop, nades. BIG NUISANCES.

In before THEY ARE DIFFERENT GAMES DON'T COMPARE THEM!!1 I can kinda compare them if TF2 is supposed to be a Team Fortress game. ;\

edit:TF2 looks amazing, I can probably start to like it for different reasons, kinda how I like CS:S.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:35 AM   #32
NoComply

TF2 in a word: SLOW, it's like the air is water. I played it for a minute and then it froze on me and I had to hard reset. Hoping they will speed it up. It's like using links iron boots, I'm sure scout is fast but man spy was ummm really slow. Can't imagine the heavy and soldier.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:38 AM   #33
groovyf
In the clouds

hl2.exe error. Well done Valve

Game crashes on startup, and once I manage to get in, crashes to desktop when I try to bring up the scoreboard

I played it for around 10 mins. default_fov is 75 so movement feels even slow than ever. People still finding there way around so I can't give too much of an honest impression. Graphics are smooth, nice and bright with loads of HUD info.
I want to give it more time, but will only do that once I can get it working correctly - ie, it doesn't take me almost 4 minutes to get things working :/

Old 09-18-2007, 09:41 AM   #34
Hogmeister

yeah i'm having a number of problems w/ TF2 and i thought i cured them but apparantly i hadn't.... almost as though when i play TF2 my video card instantly overheats and my video driver in vista craps out. not sure what the deal is there because im able to play FF all damned day without a single crash.

oh well, this last time i played was for like 20 minutes or so... i actually find it rather enjoyable, and i have to say.. whatever they did with the demoman.... sex.... thats all there is to it.. sex, i love it and it just feels right again.

2fort seems a bit small to me, almost too crowded but with the gameplay and lack of grenade spam its not bad, just feels cramped up. with the roof over the bridge sniping really isnt useful in that map, atleast in my opinion you can snipe off the deck.

back to sniping, from what time i have put into sniping i've found it to be frustratingly not good. don't know how to put it, but its an awkward style of "charging" if you will, and the scope zooms in wayyy too close but i think thats more or less because the size of the map is a good bit smaller than im used to.

one major bug i have and im not sure if its just me or not... but every damned game i go into now after my first wave of crashes shows me as [unknown] in the games, not hogmeister like it should..... anybody know of a file or something that has the name coded into it? like a cfg or anything.

overall i give it a thumbs up, and like others have said, feels like a different game.

oh i also dont like well in TF2 so go FF

edit: just wanted to add that the respawn timers BLOWwwwwwww big donkey ones. i've had a respawn time of almost 20 seconds, thats a long damned time if you think about it, and it feels even longer w/ the lack of action you see while dead most of the time .

Old 09-18-2007, 09:50 AM   #35
IvaQuaL

yeah.. i'm a bit disappointed too

there a few nice things, such as changing class in respawn without having to die, this sort of things. the actual gameplay is definitely slow paced, with extremely few options at your disposal.

the respawn delay isn't as bad as i thought but it's still a downside, although this is was surely a thoughtful gameplay decision.

when you think about it, this is closer to what team fortress what supposed to be, and the decision to remove grenades makes a lot of sense in that direction. however, i didn't expect the final result to be so.. boring. yeah, it feels kind of boring.

if one thing is sure, it's that FF and TF2 are completely different and cater to a completely different style of player. the major similarity are that they're both a 9 classes based team game, and that's pretty much it.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:53 AM   #36
ajniN

No nades.. FTL

Old 09-18-2007, 09:56 AM   #37
Coopz

This mod delivers, bugs but still brillient

But IMO FF is a more skill based, and more faithful to TF than TF2 is.
TF2 is a bit dumbed down, but it is bloody fun, be better once the crash bugs are sorted.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:57 AM   #38
JactusCack

I fucking love this game. Love the snipers, love the new *feel*. Check out some of my screenies:

New Soldier:

Going over the bridge on 2fort:

HWGuy:

Old 09-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #39
Coopz

Ah yes the 1999 preview

No nades is a pain but it stops the random spam, bit of a disadvantage to the scout and medic though.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:59 AM   #40
Hogmeister

hah that made me chuckle deep down inside thanks jactus.

my last post seeed to point out a lot of negatives, but there are great things. it is completely enjoyable experience if you give it a chance as another "game" not what you know and love as team fortress.. it is fun

Closed Thread