Old 09-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #21
Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

Class/Position: Sniper, Spy
Gametype: Spy Deathmatch
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
And here's a working download of the map with the fixed Lua: http://www.ffpickup.com/files/ff_amped.zip
squeek, i fucking love you.

i spent a couple hours last night browsing all the way to page 19 of the map section. there's a LOT of maps that are pretty good looking that are either unfinished, or just get no play time. if i find any other ones that are damn good maps that people might actually like, would you mind if i bumped the threads (some from 07 holy crap...)? i find that looking at other peoples work, even if its older stuff, helps motivate me when it comes to finishing my maps (currently have 3 im working on...). also, it's just nice to play something fresh once in a while.
Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #22
Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

so i just played it a bit. very nice indeed. although it still needs some things to be finished. yard is not symmetrical as far as props (one side has props and even ladders to the bridge, other side does not) spawn doors open for both teams (i found out the hard way when i was roaming around and got lost, went in and scared the shit right out of me) and i dont think there are any clip brushes anywhere. i got stuck a few times in the yard behind the fences on the side, and i even purposely got myself stuck under one of the elevators lol. its a shame that Ambex disappeared...

Old 09-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #23
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Yeah, it's a strange and confusing map for sure. I don't even know how he managed to break the elevators so badly (if you ride them, sometimes they seem to literally flip your screen 180 degrees or something really crazy). And the dimensions/layout seem more suited to a game like Counter-Strike than a Fortress game. It does look good though, and the multi-level yard is pretty cool.

And, yeah, feel free to bump map threads if you'd like to check them out and you can't get them to work or find a working download.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #24
AtomicSphinCteR
D&A Member

Class/Position: Conc. vs object suicides
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Moto get this map on the server!
Oh yeah......please!
AtomicSphinCteR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #25
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
I was pretty excited when I saw the screencap of the yard. Looks like a good map. But after playing it I have little hope for it.

It isn't optimized in the least. On any given map, if I'm just running around idle without lots of explosions I'll keep 300 fps. On this map I get under 100. Like probly 60 and dipping down constantly.

Also it's just very awkward. It's seem very confused and there is no flow to the map at all. None of the entrances to flag make sense to me.

And with what squeek is saying, it might not be a very pleasant play in the state it is. Idk if the vmf is floating around out there but this map would need a lot of work.

It does look pretty good aestheticly though.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #26
Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
I was pretty excited when I saw the screencap of the yard. Looks like a good map. But after playing it I have little hope for it.

It isn't optimized in the least. On any given map, if I'm just running around idle without lots of explosions I'll keep 300 fps. On this map I get under 100. Like probly 60 and dipping down constantly.

Also it's just very awkward. It's seem very confused and there is no flow to the map at all. None of the entrances to flag make sense to me.

And with what squeek is saying, it might not be a very pleasant play in the state it is. Idk if the vmf is floating around out there but this map would need a lot of work.

It does look pretty good aestheticly though.
just decompile it. i already have... bspsrc_1.3.3 is what i use (based on the ole vmex proggy). you arent the only person that sounds like you didnt know you could decompile maps. I hear it quite a bit. is it a secret or is it just plain wrong to do it? im so confused.

EDIT: here we go

Last edited by Snipe; 09-27-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #27
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
I just forget I guess. I've only ever decompiled maps from other sdk bases and it usually comes out textureless. I assume that older sdks don't support newer textures or something.

Also every program I've read about seems to fuck up brushes a lot when you decompile. At least that's the general consensus among the reviews of said programs. I personally use vmex. Idk what the pros and cons of different programs would be, or which is best.

Last edited by FDA_Approved; 09-27-2012 at 11:52 PM.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #28
Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
I just forget I guess. I've only ever decompiled maps from other sdk bases and it usually comes out textureless. I assume that older sdks don't support newer textures or something.

Also every program I've read about seems to fuck up brushes a lot when you decompile. At least that's the general consensus among the reviews of said programs. I personally use vmex. Idk what the pros and cons of different programs would be, or which is best.
I personally have never had a problem using bspsrc. Everything comes out perfect as far as I can tell. Entities, props, textures, displacements, and brushes all seem to decompile fine. I have heard that the older vmex can cause texture issues and errors with displacements and props, but i dont know I have never tried it.