Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 09-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
Hirohito
The last true Emperor
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
New Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 details revealed!

So the devs of MW2 let the press into an exclusive event yesterday and showed off a ton of new info about MW2's multiplayer mode.

New shiz:

The "sidearm" category has been replaced with "Secondary". In addition to pistols, you can use shotguns, machine pistols, a grenade launcher and a single shot rocket launcher.

Deathstreak: If you die for a certain amount of time without getting any kills, you'll be able to use a special ability, such as copying a person's weapon and perk layout if they kill you.

A new perk, Bling, lets you put two attachments on a weapon at once.

UAvs can be shot down.

Shotguns and Sniper Rifles can now accept silencers.

The Frag Grenade can be replaced with other weapons and items, such as a throwing knife and a blast shield.

One of the things you can replace the Frag Grenade with is something called a "Tactical Insertion"; basically, its a neat device that lets you spawn wherever you want! However, it must be thrown somewhere, and it can be destroyed by enemies that notice it.

Perks now have challenges; if you complete them, you'll unlock a "pro" version of that perk.

A new killstreak reward is Care Drop. When you get "Care Drop", a special smoke grenade appears in your inventory. Toss it and a big crate with your team's logo will fall from the sky. Inside it is a random goodie, such as a killstreak award, ammo or health. However, you have to hold down a key to for a second in order to get your goodie, which makes you vulnerable to enemy fire.

If you haven't been catching up with MW2, the Call of Duty wiki has a great summary here. It has every bit of info that has been released about the game so far, including the info that was released yesterday.
Hirohito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Bling ftmfw.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
Hirohito
The last true Emperor
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
Bling ftmfw.
getting sniped by people that have rifle with a silencer and rds is gonna own

Last edited by Hirohito; 09-16-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Hirohito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2009, 12:19 AM   #4
EquilibriuM
G9-
D&A Member

Class/Position: D Solly,Engy
Gametype: ALL
Cool
EquilibriuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
Anshinritsumai
°_o

Class/Position: Medic & Engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: DM, OC, -[CfH]-
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=745&Item id=111
Black Saturday?

A day of infamy?

It's hard, very hard, for me to write objectively right now, but here is a summary of what we heard on BASH 123. If you missed it...we will have it on demand in a few minutes.

The raw version of BASH 123 can be found here temporarily.

Fourzerotwo was on our BASH webcast this morning and he had a few surprises for the PC community.

Here are the snippets:

* We're doing a lot on the backend to make the game accessible for everyone.
* There is no delay for the PC version of MW2
* There's prestige mode
* Jason West at the MP event, said that he was dead on, on the matchmaking servers. We've been building a system on the backend called IW.NET.
* You are completely reliant on IW.NET. There are no server lists. There are no dedicated servers.
* You have private matches where you can customize the game
* You cannot put MW2 on a dedicated server.
* This is the first time we've ever done something like this and the team has huge plans for what IW.NET develops into.
* Customizing your game...you have quite a few options in a private match
* You're getting same game (as in Console), plus matchmaking and private match.
* Server admin point-of view, NO DEDICATED SERVERS

General
* IW partnering through Steam is what you will see in the future. Matchmaking is not through Steam, but IW.NET is run in conjunction with Steam.
* GSP's will no longer be renting out servers.
* No PunkBuster. VAC will be used as an anti cheat.
* Retail distribution: Pre-orders will get a disk. Or you could order from Steam.
* DLC may now need to be paid for - not confirmed.
* Piracy was only a small reason for going to IW.NET - not the whole reason.

Clans:
* No more clan servers. Private matches, replace clan servers.
* Listen servers will connect to each other.
* IW.NET/Steam will replace the community server admin

Competitive Gaming
* Competitive gaming has changed forever.
* It might be possible in the future for IW engineers to load a "competitive" setting on IW.NET, but it is far from a guarantee. It might also never happen.

Modding
* Modding the game is now very much in question. Fourzerotwo had no info on modding. However, it appears that there will be no mods or maps for MW2.
* Modding in SpecOps? Unknown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://games.on.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=170132
"According to BashAndSlash Podcast, Amazon has received over 2,000 Pre Order Cancellations, resulting in a loss of $120,000 in pre orders in past 12 hours and only at amazon but other sites are also loosing pre-orders fast."
So basically this boils down to this:
- profiles stored online and not client-side (this is a very good thing)
- no dedicated servers, p2p only
- no dedicated servers means no maps or mods
- no maps or mods means paying for map packs

So basically this is a way to get pc gamers to pay for map packs.

Obligatory Hitler rant video -

Last edited by Anshinritsumai; 10-18-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Anshinritsumai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I was playing TF2 last night and people were going crazy over the whole server thing.

Frankly, in CoD4, setting up a Dedicated Server was a pain in the ass anyways because they never released a dedicated tool for it. So it required uploading a full game install and running off that... annoying as hell. This is compared to other companies which normally have a dedicated server installer freely available. There were rumors at one point of a CoD4 DS tool being added to hldsupdatetool but it never happened.

I probably wont play online anyways. However it's just a cheap trick to piss off PC gamers. I'm sure the mod community wont be very happen to see that they can't release any multiplayer maps. The main reason why I feel FPSs are so much better on PC (besides controls) is that there is so much great, free 3rd party content. If the TF2 community was stuck playing the same few maps over and over again, I'm sure there wouldn't be a single person playing the game. Even though so many 3rd party maps are crap, there are plenty that are great and worth playing.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:16 AM   #7
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
What is the point in removing the ability to host dedicated servers?

And if they're using VAC, it really seems like they're only a step away from using Steam to host games in a manner like L4D. Fortunately in L4D, you can bypass the matchmaking system through the console, doesn't look like there's a fix for that for MW2.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2009, 12:12 AM   #8
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
What is the point in removing the ability to host dedicated servers?
Control. In order to play with a several people, it's important that the server and clients are all on the same page. This means that they all need the same files. Taking over all servers puts the control into the game company's hands. This is bad in several ways:
1) No LAN - Without a dedicated server, players can not play on a local server. All servers are hosted by the company.
2) Strict Control - Only the company can choose what is running on a server. This means that you can only play what has the official seal of approval. Want to try out a new multiplayer map you made? NOPE. This can also limit or remove the option of custom skins.
3) No 3rd Party Mods - Without the ability to run a dedicated server, multiplayer 3rd party mods are impossible. This has put the PC community up in arms because many people get the PC version for the wider range of 3rd party content and mods.
4) Pay to Play - While not strictly Pay to Play, this helps them implement map packs that much be purchased. I think this is a big PC thing. PC users have always been lucky with FREE updates and patches while console users expect having to pay to improve their experience. When you consider that you can play a PC game like TF2 where updates and changes continue to be implemented and added 2 years after they game was released, FOR FREE... giving full control to the company and having to possibly pay for updates and changes is a BIG DEAL.

However, the way these guys run... I don't foresee any change to this.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:25 AM   #9
Anshinritsumai
°_o

Class/Position: Medic & Engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: DM, OC, -[CfH]-
No official word yet.... but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourZeroTwo via Twitter
Definitely made a big wave, and the response will not be ignored. I'll ensure everyone at IW sees the petitions and responses to it.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
They should take the route Valve uses, free updates for all platforms when viable. They are so fucking rich they swim in money. They also don't mind letting the community mod their stuff, it keeps games viable long after they've become obsolete in the mainstream view of games. People still play HL1 mods.

You are a pirate!

Last edited by Lost; 10-20-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #11
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Valve should follow id and release the source code after X years. But, of course, this will never happen because people are still BUYING AND PLAYING HL1!!!!! How seriously crazy is that? HL1 is nearly 11 years old now and tons of people are still playing.

They was MW2 is, once they release MW3 they can shut down all the MW2 servers and BAM, you need to buy a new game. Can you imagine what would happen if Valve killed all the CS servers in the world?

Old 10-21-2009, 02:46 AM   #12
xks
Exceedingly Correct.

Class/Position: Variable
Gametype: QuakeLive CTF
I really can't stand automatic matchmaking nonsense in online games. It irritated the hell out of me in Dawn of War II and it bothers me everytime I go near a console and try to play online.

I didn't buy (or download) any of the CoD games, I had no intention of buying (or downloading) MW2, but if I did I'd certainly boycott it based on this nonsense.

Unfortunately the trouble is, boycotting the game on the PC will just reduce PC sales to the point where IW might just think "lets not bother with the PC next year and just release on the consoles, that's where we make our money anyway".

For IW it's a win-win situation, they only really care about the console market and I don't see them caring much about leaving the PC behind. They are still going to sell millions of copies to casual gamers who will lap up the game based on brand/advertising more than any other reason, with or without the PC market.

If they are going to try and turn the PC into a restricted console then at least let the PC gamers play seamlessly against their console loving brethren. I'm sure many PC gamers will be happy to show console idiots the virtues of 100+fps combined with a mouse and keyboard. This would at least provide a little perk to the idiocy that is automated matchmaking, no dedicated servers, no mods and no community.

Oh and they can try and use piracy as an excuse, but no one really pirates games that have a multiplayer mode worth bothering with as they all want to play it online against their friends and in competitions.

The saddest part about the whole thing is that they've raised the price of the game, crippled the PC version and will still make millions upon millions for their evil overlords ActiBlizz (who have certainly overtaken EA in the idiot field).
xks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #13
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Call of Duty sucks. It went from a decent game to a terrible twelve-year old illogically constructed pile of shit that threw in a Chernobyl level just to appeal to the market that had adored Stalker with sub machine guns that do more damage than full on assault rifle rounds with shitty perks that make it feel unrealistic (though it claims to be so realistic) and only serve to overpower already overpowered weapons while saturated fat magnets rap their cheeto-dusted whale fingers on their shitty dell keyboards or scream their high pitched mating calls into their microphones as if they achieved anything by dying and then killing me with a martydom perk as I reach down to pick up their unearned and unachievable weapon to perpetuate my complete ass-raping abilities on them, their team, and anyone else brave enough to enter the server and fall within my crosshairs. I have no faith in a sequel.

Call of Duty sees you in an epic war against faggots who pick the most powerful sniper rifle and hide in the bushes on the very edge of the map. You see little shits prancing about with their maxed-out AK74s with the rate of fire increase mowing people down in seconds. You got bitches spraying you through walls with inaccurate machine guns from across the map, scrubs feeding on your team to allow the enemy to essentially barrage the map with air strikes, uav, and helicopters. You got lamers sniping with shotguns, and maggots too afraid to use vanilla ak-47 like a real man because 'boo hoo the recoil is too much for me and it doesn't fire weally fast like da wittle ak74 sub machine gawn wit da pew pew faster shootin' perkz'.

The maps are beautiful, though in a multiplayer game, you don't give a flying FUCK about how scenery it looks or how awesome the faint glow of the night sky ricochets through tiny spots between tank and rubble pile. Often, I have ran through a building and been shot seemingly from nowhere, only to have some dickhead emerge from the shadows that never cease no matter how high you turn up the brightness. The maps are littered with so much trash and debris and whatnot that you often find yourself taking 'pot shots' at a random static bucket prop or at a breezing scrap of Islamic propaganda that whizzes by the broken tank. It's a cluster fuck and I don't like it.

Turn the graphics down, and it looks like you're playing Counter Strike 1.6, max 'em out and the game looks amazing, but you can't see shit. Tweak it to the middle and it's like spray painting a pile of dog shit gold. The single player was where the graphics were put to the test, but it only took me an hour to beat the campaigns, and I took my fucking time experimenting with the weapons and environment. For $40.00 I could have bought many smaller and cheaper but superior games, or I could have bought a very cheap gun and shot myself in the face, time better spent than in the depths of Call of Duty: Modern Fuckfest.

Last edited by Bridget; 10-21-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2009, 03:15 AM   #14
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
YES BRIDGET YES.

YOU SUMMED UP THE GAME PERFECTLY.

God I laughed so fucking hard.
Everything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #15
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
Call of Duty sucks. It went from a decent game to a terrible twelve-year old illogically constructed pile of shit that threw in a Chernobyl level just to appeal to the market that had adored Stalker with sub machine guns that do more damage than full on assault rifle rounds with shitty perks that make it feel unrealistic (though it claims to be so realistic) and only serve to overpower already overpowered weapons while saturated fat magnets rap their cheeto-dusted whale fingers on their shitty dell keyboards or scream their high pitched mating calls into their microphones as if they achieved anything by dying and then killing me with a martydom perk as I reach down to pick up their unearned and unachievable weapon to perpetuate my complete ass-raping abilities on them, their team, and anyone else brave enough to enter the server and fall within my crosshairs. I have no faith in a sequel.

Call of Duty sees you in an epic war against faggots who pick the most powerful sniper rifle and hide in the bushes on the very edge of the map. You see little shits prancing about with their maxed-out AK74s with the rate of fire increase mowing people down in seconds. You got bitches spraying you through walls with inaccurate machine guns from across the map, scrubs feeding on your team to allow the enemy to essentially barrage the map with air strikes, uav, and helicopters. You got lamers sniping with shotguns, and maggots too afraid to use vanilla ak-47 like a real man because 'boo hoo the recoil is too much for me and it doesn't fire weally fast like da wittle ak74 sub machine gawn wit da pew pew faster shootin' perkz'.

The maps are beautiful, though in a multiplayer game, you don't give a flying FUCK about how scenery it looks or how awesome the faint glow of the night sky ricochets through tiny spots between tank and rubble pile. Often, I have ran through a building and been shot seemingly from nowhere, only to have some dickhead emerge from the shadows that never cease no matter how high you turn up the brightness. The maps are littered with so much trash and debris and whatnot that you often find yourself taking 'pot shots' at a random static bucket prop or at a breezing scrap of Islamic propaganda that whizzes by the broken tank. It's a cluster fuck and I don't like it.

Turn the graphics down, and it looks like you're playing Counter Strike 1.6, max 'em out and the game looks amazing, but you can't see shit. Tweak it to the middle and it's like spray painting a pile of dog shit gold. The single player was where the graphics were put to the test, but it only took me an hour to beat the campaigns, and I took my fucking time experimenting with the weapons and environment. For $40.00 I could have bought many smaller and cheaper but superior games, or I could have bought a very cheap gun and shot myself in the face, time better spent than in the depths of Call of Duty: Modern Fuckfest.

+1
MonoXideAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 07:05 AM   #16
Etzell
D&A Member

Spoiler alert:

Soap MacTavish is the goddamn Batman.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote