Old 07-26-2011, 04:27 AM   #1
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Anything.
Gametype: CTF/CP (AvD needs fixing)
Posts Rated Helpful 28 Times
Hitting the Server Revert Button.

So basically with the three pub server's really left in this game, 2 of the 3 (that I know of) have either completely sidetracked the balance of the classes (all in the name of "fun") or have converted back to 2.42.

I know that Old Timers doesn't use the Laser grenade anymore, nor the slow field. They both have been changed back to the nail nade and the mirv. Though they did keep the pressure hit.

Talos kind of twisting things up. They removed the slowfield nade and put the mirv back in its' place. the pressure hit now launches players further then a jump pad does, and the laser nade practically kills any medium class in 2 to three swipes (depending on fall damage :P).

I'm uncertian if Kube left the patch the same. Then that server would indeed be the initial 2.43 server atm (via US.)

I mean, I don't want to put the dev's down but no one is using the initial patch.

Honestly I think I can agree with their reasons. While on one hand the patch has made AvD a blast, anything ctf is trash unless organized and even then it's kind of "meh."

I know that Grawsbane posted something about moving the laser nade counter clockwise, but honestly that wouldn't solve the problem with how easy it is to avoid it. Just bhop in that direction instead.

So my thoughts on this is what if instead of 3 lasers there were 6 instead. 3 moving clockwise, and 3 moving counter clockwise. It would make it a little more challenging to jump in between them and out again, and would make up for it's like of damage. I mean christ, it's a grenade. Who's ever heard of a grenade in this world that you can play jump rope with? Atleast with 6 lasers instead of three, that'd be one hell of a game of jump rope.

The pressure hit is a good idea and talos kind of add's a crazy flavor with their now portable jump pad with a gatling gun (hw, lol). Now "officially" I think their push is a little too strong, but when I'm looking to laugh at the expense of other's lives, then i absolutely enjoy the crazy ass pressure hit. I'm not even sure if that was intentional.

So ya, I don't have a lot of idea's on how to fix the issue, but the point being -- if admins are changing their server's back to the 2.42 patch settings, well then I believe the community (for what it is) has spoken, and they apparently don't like the changes, unfortunately.

I think it's time to start asking the actual community what they want. Wouldn't hurt.

Up next, I teach children how to juggle the limbs of a koala bear.

Last edited by eomoyaff; 07-26-2011 at 04:46 AM.
eomoyaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
angrypyro
D&A Member

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
could still keep it at 3 lasers and just double the damage for touching the lasers
angrypyro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
We're not reverting. They don't represent "the community" (a single FF community is a joke of an idea anyway), they represent two specific server owners. They don't have good reasons for reverting, and you should boycott their servers if you disagree with them.

End of story.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by squeek.; 07-26-2011 at 06:17 AM.
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
We're not reverting. They don't represent "the community" (a single FF community is a joke of an idea anyway), they represent two specific server owners. They don't have good reasons for reverting, and you should boycott their servers if you disagree with them.

End of story.
And those changes were made because a majority of those people who played the new patch on those server's didn't like what they were given. Thus the changes were made by the admins to support those opinions so players would continue to play.

And stating "we're not reverting" is completely unrelated to what I was talking about. I didn't say anything about the dev's reverting. I'm stating that the admins are changing their shit back because that's what the people wanted. Toss a dog a bone that's covered in shit -- only a the dumb dogs will chew it.

Start asking what the community wants for once, nuff said.

... Or discuss the features with just a small group of people and release more shit that nobody likes.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
If this is bothering you so much, why not just stay playing on those servers and leave this be. The devs are going to keep doing their thing as they feel it's the right direction for the mod and I completely agree with it. Everything evolves and to be honest the way FF played before was far inferior to how it plays now (and will). Every class is getting it's own special tweaks to either separate its self and be unique or to balance the fact that some things were stupidly overpowered. These changes yes should deal with community interaction but with the game state that other servers are using make the game play not worth keeping contact if they just want to edit the files. I do like that OT made their server name Neo-FF, that at least gives some indicator that the server isn't default. I really hope we can address this problem and remove the ability to be able to change those settings. It really is splitting the community that we have into 3 separate parts.
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2011, 04:23 AM   #6
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoNL View Post
If this is bothering you so much, why not just stay playing on those servers and leave this be. The devs are going to keep doing their thing as they feel it's the right direction for the mod and I completely agree with it. Everything evolves and to be honest the way FF played before was far inferior to how it plays now (and will). Every class is getting it's own special tweaks to either separate its self and be unique or to balance the fact that some things were stupidly overpowered. These changes yes should deal with community interaction but with the game state that other servers are using make the game play not worth keeping contact if they just want to edit the files. I do like that OT made their server name Neo-FF, that at least gives some indicator that the server isn't default. I really hope we can address this problem and remove the ability to be able to change those settings. It really is splitting the community that we have into 3 separate parts.
I actually agree with this. I'm not saying I like that they changed the servers around despite all the dev's work.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eomoyaff View Post
And those changes were made because a majority of those people who played the new patch on those server's didn't like what they were given. Thus the changes were made by the admins to support those opinions so players would continue to play.

And stating "we're not reverting" is completely unrelated to what I was talking about. I didn't say anything about the dev's reverting. I'm stating that the admins are changing their shit back because that's what the people wanted. Toss a dog a bone that's covered in shit -- only a the dumb dogs will chew it.

... Or discuss the features with just a small group of people and release more shit that nobody likes.
...who is this community you keep referring to? How do I tell who is part of it and who's not? Is it a secret club that meets offline to discuss FF? Because from what I've seen in this thread, this thread and from talking to people directly, most people like the changes and disagree with these servers' changes.

"Appeal to the community" seems to be a very frequently used FF-specific fallacy. How exactly should I go about asking the community what they want?

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by squeek.; 07-26-2011 at 09:18 PM.
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2011, 04:19 AM   #8
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
...who is this community you keep referring to? How do I tell who is part of it and who's not? Is it a secret club that meets offline to discuss FF? Because from what I've seen in this thread, this thread and from talking to people directly, most people like the changes and disagree with these servers' changes.

"Appeal to the community" seems to be a very frequently used FF-specific fallacy. How exactly should I go about asking the community what they want?
Unless you just ignore the people who actually say they don't like the patch, via half the people I play with in pub server's. Not sure how aware you are of how many people that play this game, that don't actually come to the forums. You want input, start playing on public servers. Quit showing up everyone once in a while in pickups and rarely in pub servers that only contain pickup players, and actually learn more about your community (not just the ones on the forum.)

As far as asking the community, if you're actually serious about that, then I can toss out a several organized idea's that are smart, not overzealous, and is easy to comprehend so you don't get the wrong idea (again.)

No offense Squeek, but I NEVER see you in any of the usual pubs getting players opinions who play every day. You'd be surprised how valid some of their reasons are for going back on the older patch type. And I'm not going to post them for you, or find them for you, that's your job, as a developer, to grasp an understanding of how EVERYONE (not specifically) feels about these patches.

I mean I do disagree with the fact that these servers are making those changes, but I can semi-understand their reasons why (despite how much it might make the dev's here feel like their time was wasted.)

------------------------

Ricey, you're fat, shut up and run a laps around your even fatter mother

Last edited by eomoyaff; 07-27-2011 at 04:20 AM.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eomoyaff View Post

Didn't I ban you Bridget?

Also Kube's Server is 2.43, not some stupid mix of 2.43 and 2.41. As is mine, minus the snipers.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014

Last edited by Ricey; 07-26-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2011, 01:47 AM   #10
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
Also Kube's Server is 2.43, not some stupid mix of 2.43 and 2.41. As is mine, minus the snipers.
Fucking Jew! Can't stand to pay for Sniper bullets, eh?

Seriously, though... I am boycotting any server not running 2.43(although from what I heard in one of those threads Squeek pointed to, that O-T is at least letting people know they modified their server to run the mix). Not because I hate those servers, but because I want to play the current version of FF. It still needs work, but that's been the story of FF since 1.0.

If the people who frequent those servers want those changes.... fine. Just let people outside of their little world know that it's not a stock version of FF.

For myself, I have a blast on Kube's server, and will recommend it to any FF players out there.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote