Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2006, 12:35 PM   #41
o_sobe green

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT
I say make a separate Fireman class. His main weapon will be the fire extinguisher and his melee weapon can be a pick-head axe..
If you are going to have a Fireman class you need a Dalmation class to balance it out. When both are together they get a morale boost.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2006, 11:58 PM   #42
o_leandros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
He can use the axe to break down any door, even spawn doors.
And short-circuit electronics (SG, spawn SG, dispenser) with his fire extinguisher?
o_leandros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2006, 01:31 AM   #43
o_rp

Maybe we should just drop the pyro?

Yes it's a TF game, 9 classes and all that, but maybe we should just admit that the pyro doesn't fit in the TF game...
As he is now he's poop and basicly useless (not to mention annoying).
And if we making him usefull, he'll become even more annoying and not fun to play against against due to the nature of this class.

I really want to have 9 classes, but I can't really think of any way of making this class usefull...

And if we look on any other TF games (except for qwtf which i don't know since I didn't play) - in any of them either the pyro was too weak (like in TFC), or it was overpowered, I have yet to see one game where a pyro is balanced properly and fun to play with and against.

I know that the team is trying to stay true (is that in english?!) to the original tf/c in the classic features, but still I think that a pyro is a mistake to leave him in the game.
o_rp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2006, 02:21 AM   #44
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Man, some people just can't hack it.

Old 03-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #45
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
Mobility is the primary concern in buffing classes for offense. We can address this with pyro and demo, but spy is really a question mark right now in my mind. We'll just have to see.
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2006, 01:09 AM   #46
o_aftershock

The most important thing to remember is that a fun class doesn't use its abilities to weaken the enemy, but to buff itself/team.

If you can give a class a fun ability that lets it do something cool, that is obviously better than an ability that just annoys the opponent.

What do I mean?

I mean: Caltrops, gas grenades, napalm, being set on fire etc - all annoying abilities because they reduce the set of abilities the opposing player can do. Rather than getting past the enemy player with your own skill, you are relying on the reduction of the enemies powers, which i find frustrating.

Concing, Disguising, healing teammates, giving teammates armour and ammo, bunnyhopping, etc are skills and abilities that make the game more fun, because you arent stopping the enemy do what they want to do.

So to relate this to the pyro, I would say giving it more abilites in its own movement (IC jumps?) and perhaps somehow helping teammates, should be preffered over skills such as obscuring the enemies screen with fire.

Oh and when a pyro is sharking, he should be able to fire into the water behind him to propel him along like a speedboat []

Last edited by o_aftershock; 03-12-2006 at 01:14 AM.
o_aftershock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2006, 03:03 PM   #47
o_loyus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterShock
The most important thing to remember is that a fun class doesn't use its abilities to weaken the enemy, but to buff itself/team.
Oh, that's a pretty good point, I've never been able to put a finger on this distinction before I agree.
o_loyus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2006, 03:37 PM   #48
o_ernest

Seems to be rather true in TFC. I wouldn't make it too much of a general rule though.

But I had also been thinking that it could be interesting to have a propulsion effect added to the flamethrower. Not to the extent of making him a flying class, but enough to give him the ability of maintaing himself in the air for a moment while firing towards the ground. Would also make him very difficult to follow since he could fire backwards to boost his speed a bit.

But this idea might be sort of daring.

Either way, don't make him a lightweight soldier with reduced armor, reduced weapons and more speed.
o_ernest is offline   Reply With Quote