Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2006, 02:56 AM   #21
o_nezumi

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
If the pyros can kill, then you'll be dead before you get too annoyed. I think this is what the goal for balancing them should be. Also, yea, some sort of rj capability would be helpful. Or some sort of expanded movement capability.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2006, 03:09 AM   #22
o_kam

Pyro will fail if he's still annoying though.
Sure it's a weak class so that's a reason not use it, but if anyone does, it's instantly gay/lame since it takes absolutely no skill to be an annoying pyro and people just don't want to be annoyed like that.

If he is just beefed up it'll be frustrating that the annoyance is actually effective. Which just isn't fun.

So yeah, what Afx said.
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2006, 04:04 AM   #23
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

I don't know. Outside of massive spamming of napalm grens (which is less annoying than spy gas spamming), I don't really find Pyros that annoying to play against. I find HWs more annoying, anyway. They take even less skill to hit you, and they can do so from pretty much any distance
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2006, 07:07 AM   #24
o_gman55

Please don't dumb-down the pyro class by buffing it too much. In Dustbowl, the pyro is a great class.

On defense, he softens up targets so the big guns can more easily take them out. And he disrupts the offense, slowing down their advance.

On offense, he can use his flame cannon to burn the engies crouching behind the SGs. On stage three, pyros will often strafe back and forth just behind the bridge to red's base, spamming the defenders with flame rockets.

I only ask that the flamethrower be adjusted to actually work. In TFC, it just sucks because the technology didn't exist at the time to make it work.
o_gman55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2006, 08:47 AM   #25
o_toffee

just giving the pyro the ability to rocket jump as well as the soldier would be a big boost to his usability as an offensive player
o_toffee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #26
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
indeed. giving the pyro a better jump and a bit more range on the flamethrower will make a worthy O class without overpowering it imo.

EDIT: oh, and the IC rockets need speeding up too!

Old 03-07-2006, 11:35 AM   #27
o_valk

man, if its beefed up too much it will just be made -1 in leagues
so do whatever u want to it, in the end it will only kill pub play
o_valk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #28
o_afx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
I don't know. Outside of massive spamming of napalm grens (which is less annoying than spy gas spamming), I don't really find Pyros that annoying to play against. I find HWs more annoying, anyway. They take even less skill to hit you, and they can do so from pretty much any distance
Im sure you'd find the hwg even more annoying if he could bhop around you at medic speed, whilst peppering you with blinding napalm

I can probably accept that giving him rjing ability(not on a par with the soldiers i stress, perhaps just 2fort balc capable)would be a reasonable boost to the class, but i definitely dont think his ability to damage should be increased as well. I guess the aim for the pyro should be to make it a class that can cause distractions as opposed to one thats going to get a lot of frags.
o_afx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2006, 02:19 PM   #29
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman55
Please don't dumb-down the pyro class by buffing it too much. In Dustbowl, the pyro is a great class.

On defense, he softens up targets so the big guns can more easily take them out. And he disrupts the offense, slowing down their advance.

On offense, he can use his flame cannon to burn the engies crouching behind the SGs. On stage three, pyros will often strafe back and forth just behind the bridge to red's base, spamming the defenders with flame rockets.
Yeah, he works much better in AvD, mainly because O doesn't have concs. If they did, they could conc right past him on D, and on O, he would be too slow. The problem is, there aren't a lot of gametypes outside AvD where Medics/Scouts don't get concs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman55
I only ask that the flamethrower be adjusted to actually work. In TFC, it just sucks because the technology didn't exist at the time to make it work.
That's really all I'm suggesting, other than a bit better jumping skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afx
Im sure you'd find the hwg even more annoying if he could bhop around you at medic speed, whilst peppering you with blinding napalm
That would basically be the uncapped bhop HW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afx
I can probably accept that giving him rjing ability(not on a par with the soldiers i stress, perhaps just 2fort balc capable)would be a reasonable boost to the class, but i definitely dont think his ability to damage should be increased as well. I guess the aim for the pyro should be to make it a class that can cause distractions as opposed to one thats going to get a lot of frags.
I'm not suggesting they deal more damage, just that you can actually hit with the damn flamethrower. Also, make the flame effect less "laggy" than it is now, since, outside of HW, you can "outrun" the flames by strafing (at least, when I last played you could)

Old 03-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #30
o_afx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
I'm not suggesting they deal more damage, just that you can actually hit with the damn flamethrower. Also, make the flame effect less "laggy" than it is now, since, outside of HW, you can "outrun" the flames by strafing (at least, when I last played you could)
Thats the thing though, by making it easier to hit and making the flames less laggy you'll automatically be giving him a rather large boost. I guess it'll all come out during the testing anyway.
o_afx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2006, 03:36 PM   #31
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Sure, it would be a boost, but I think it's a rather tough argument to make that Pyro is a good class on non-AvD maps. On maps with concs, Medics can do just about everything as well, or better than a pyro.

But yes, this is the sort of thing that playtesting is for

Old 03-07-2006, 04:52 PM   #32
o_darknight

If flames actually blinded properly, it'd be a massive hinderance to any def players, esepcially HwGuy. Then increasing his range on his flamethrower and making it easier to hit, increasing his IC rocket speed and increasing his ability to RJ is one hell of a boost that's being discussed. Dont forget he can already spam tonnes of frag/Napalm grenades as it is.

It'd easily become too difficult to def against. Whilst blinded by fire it's much more difficult to be accurate. Especially if you're being attacked by more than one target and being conced.

Uhh food, I'll get to the point: watch out with the Pyro, making him too strong and used in every offy lineup IMO would be a bad thing. It being overpowered would be much worse than it being underpowered.
o_darknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2006, 04:01 AM   #33
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Sure, but that's no reason to leave him as underpowered as he is now. My basic point is that the Pyro is too weak to use on most maps. Thus, he needs to be improved. How much is up to playtesting.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:45 AM   #34
o_nezumi

Another problem with pyro is that he's completely inefective at defense if the enemy ignores him. The pyro can still cap flags and stuff if peopel ignore him, but just running away from him is normally the best solution. If his rockets pushed enough to JR with, then they'd also push around other people. This would make the pyro very difficult to ignore.

Er, to reduce spamminess, you could make it so that the flames are easier to see through if you're running foreward. This way anyone trying to defend a position (especially HWs and snipers) would stay blinded and people trying to fight could see as long as they kept moving.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:27 AM   #35
o_ernest

I'd like to see him boosted, but not by making him even more of a nuisance. All considerations on his effectiveness aside, the pyro is already no fun to play against.
o_ernest is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2006, 09:12 AM   #36
o_toffee

to further increase his potential as an offy player and non-spammy type...reduce damage for when he does rocket jump - will give him a boost for bunny hopping, dodging etc
o_toffee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2006, 02:08 PM   #37
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Just give the non-pyro classes a "stop, drop, and roll" button

Old 03-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #38
o_sobe green

Haha or a one bucket-o-water per respawn.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2006, 03:41 PM   #39
o_ghost

I say make a separate Fireman class. His main weapon will be the fire extinguisher and his melee weapon can be a pick-head axe..
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2006, 05:26 AM   #40
o_nezumi

He can use the axe to break down any door, even spawn doors.