Old 07-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #21
episkopos
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: anything but Sniper and Spy
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrt View Post
Maybe change the team names from red team and blue team and make them offense and defense.

Maps need to be designed around OvD if people want to play in a unilateral fashion. Blue team vs. Red team with two identical bases with team flags. Of course some logical first-timer is just going to hit the ground running. Instead of two bases with two flags you could have a single base and the opposite team has a home respawn with cap point or something.
Yes, OvD versions of popular CTF maps should be released. destroy, openfire, shutdown2, 2fort, monkey, and aardvark, with the area around blue's flag room walled off.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #22
rdrt
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Another option which I believe I saw on CHURCHMOUTH's server was to just make the opposite flag not able to be picked up so even if the opposite team tries to cap they can't take the flag anywhere. This obviously doesn't avoid the confusion of two replica bases. On openfire for instance: the Y should lead down the corridor to the cap point with a few bags of ammo and health for blue (kinda like an open respawn) and remove the rest of the blue base. Leave the rest of the map the same and you have a more straightforward version of the map that makes it pretty unmistakable what the blue or offense team is suppose to do. Almost any current CTF map could be modified in the same way by making the cap point somewhere inside the entrance of the blue base and removing the rest and leave the rest of the map intanct. I know some mapper types out there could use a current map and create a mock-up of one of these to test out the gameplay in 5 min.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #23
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
map_l

Have the lua for the blue flags not trigger until there are at least 6-7 players on each team. No need for physical changes to the map, unless they're also bug fixes.
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves
7:00 PM - zE: like watching fox news
7:00 PM - zE: its like wtf

Old 07-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #24
DeToXxX

Class/Position: Offense
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] .t5
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Ok, i'm confused. We gave the mirv back to the HW. Which has been the case since TFC. And everyone has an issue with this? Did you guys already forget that was the secondary grenade of the HW since the beginning. Seriously? Rofl... Find something to really complain about.

The HW was nerfed. We gave it back to him, the Spy was nerfed. We gave him back the gas grenade. Maybe we can get a scout a primary towel grenade so you can cry into that.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:01 PM   #25
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Some people disagree with the changes you made (irony at it's finest), and some people disagree with breaking gameplay consistency in such a small community, which could potentially confuse and alienate new players.

But, all in all, removing the weapon/player script files is something that must be done and has been planned for a long time.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by squeek.; 07-18-2011 at 11:02 PM.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:50 PM   #26
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
and some people disagree with breaking gameplay consistency in such a small community, which could potentially confuse and alienate new players.
This is my primary concern. Maybe the easy solution would be for the Talos server to put a password on the server, and post it on their forums(and possibly here), so that random new players won't be confused. I don't really have a problem with them customizing it the way they want... it's the new players that I'm concerned with. People who know their servers "adjustments" will understand that their is a difference between playing there and playing elsewhere.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 07-19-2011, 01:00 AM   #27
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToXxX View Post
Ok, i'm confused. We gave the mirv back to the HW. Which has been the case since TFC. And everyone has an issue with this? Did you guys already forget that was the secondary grenade of the HW since the beginning. Seriously? Rofl... Find something to really complain about.

The HW was nerfed. We gave it back to him, the Spy was nerfed. We gave him back the gas grenade. Maybe we can get a scout a primary towel grenade so you can cry into that.

this is from me rice, as rice, not as a dev
I could of sworn this game was called, Fortress-Forever, not TFC:Source, or maybe I am just blind.

I'll complain about something and that is you and talos in general has bitched over and over again for changes, then when they happen, you bitch some more.

First off, if you wanted this to be sooo TFC like, give the demo and hw both 4 mirvs, you know.. like they were in TFC when it first started. Wait, I have a better idea, go PLAY TFC. OMG.

The HWGuy was not nerfed, he was made unique and now owns even more. I am not sorry that you nor other players now suck at the class because they can no longer throw a mirv at an area and get a kill.

The Solider was not nerfed, he was changed like the HWGuy. I'll keep it simple l2play.

Engineer, does he really need 4 EMPs? No, and my main class is Engy. Hell, even Siscos would agree. (then again he is my ho).

I could go on and rip your little 'buffs" into pieces, and pretty much say you are doing more damage than OT has ever done, but I shall not.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:13 AM   #28
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
I could go on and rip your little 'buffs" into pieces, and pretty much say you are doing more damage than OT has ever done, but I shall not.

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:

Old 07-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #29
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Quote:
rice i couldn't agree with you more.
Quote:

lol the heavy was nerfed? it wasn't nerfed at all. i don't think you've seen the heavy weapons guy with a slowfield at his best, because they are far more powerful then with a mirv. they can plug up whole hall ways with a snowfield, mini-gun, air blast combo of destruction. the only thing ive seen the mirv do to the heavy is lower his defensive capabilities by a lot. he can't plug hallways and chokes the same, he almost feels weak now. (on talos.) also the mirv only addes less teamwork and more team deathmatch dueling. the only time i think the mirv is better is in pickups or 6 people or less on the server the slowfeilds are less effective but still the game shouldn't be about playing with 6 players but 12-18 (i hate the attitude in pickups and as more and more pickup players spill into the pubs its become very apparent that the general disrespect of fellow human beings that they are a problem. but thats another rant for another day.)
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!

Last edited by WiFiDi; 07-19-2011 at 09:04 AM.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #30
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFiDi View Post
the only time i think the mirv is better is in pickups or 6 people or less on the server
Actually the slow field is far more usefull in pickups than mirvs ever were.

I've never seen pickup players shout out after being killed "God damnit I hate those mirvs". But I've seen them express their frustration countless times for that slow field, and I don't even play pickups all that often anymore. If a slow field is tossed on the flag, the demo man never misses a det, and if it's timed right, the demo can det back to back to back incomings making 3 kills easily with a single slow field.

In pubs with less than 6 people... well with that slow field I've been able to defend my flag in a 1v2 situation no problem on maps like openfire. 1 HW vs 2 offense, and can still successfully defend the flag! And they think he was nerfed? lol. That's just proof that people are soo focused on the past and stuck in their ways they're incapable of learning the new power of a class, and boy is he powerfull.

I just can't believe they think mirvs are better, they're good for the demo man when he runs offense to spam shit up. But omg was I soo happy when the HW actually had a purpose and became viable in almost every map, to go back to mirvs is not only a fail decision based on feeble decisions, it's an insult to the developers who are still working on this game.

I love that the game got a facelift, and hope it happens to other classes too, and you wonder why people are upset that your server is stuck in the past.

I also loved when they removed the gas grenade, as it's a useless skilless annoyance and nothing more, and always hated that it got put back into some servers (like talos)

I sure hope the devs fix the ability to modifiy their game like squeek implied, and fix it soon.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #31
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

My only thing about putting the gas nade back in, is that the Spy needs a secondary grenade. The gas nade was removed, but not replaced. With the HW, the Mirv was removed and replaced with something usefull. The gas nade was usefull, if used properly. The thing is, most people just spammed them(sounds like the Mirv, doesn't it?) aimlessly.

Personally, I would love to hear some ideas to replace it(the gas nade).

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 07-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #32
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Then we would need to put things like caltrops back in the game too then, right?
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 07-20-2011, 01:19 AM   #33
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

No, because the Scout was given something to compensate for the loss of Caltrops. While it can be said they were usefull(slowing down enemy D players), the Jump Pad is equally usefull(helps other O players get to the enemy base faster, thus they can help disrupt the D and get the flag out).

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 07-20-2011, 02:16 AM   #34
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock View Post
Actually the slow field is far more usefull in pickups than mirvs ever were.

I've never seen pickup players shout out after being killed "God damnit I hate those mirvs". But I've seen them express their frustration countless times for that slow field, and I don't even play pickups all that often anymore. If a slow field is tossed on the flag, the demo man never misses a det, and if it's timed right, the demo can det back to back to back incomings making 3 kills easily with a single slow field.
Really? It was one of the worst things before.

Five fucking mirvs on the fucking flag, %h %a etc. It was dumb that it would just instagib you as you walk around a corner or into the front door.
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves
7:00 PM - zE: like watching fox news
7:00 PM - zE: its like wtf

Old 07-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #35
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynian View Post
Really? It was one of the worst things before.

Five fucking mirvs on the fucking flag, %h %a etc. It was dumb that it would just instagib you as you walk around a corner or into the front door.
adn this is why it was the right decision to be removed (just one of the many.) but also doesn't a heavy only get one of those you'd have to have about 5 heavys to do that.
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!

Last edited by WiFiDi; 07-20-2011 at 12:15 PM.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #36
DeToXxX

Class/Position: Offense
Affiliations: [TALOS] .t5
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
[i]Blah Blah Blah New players, etc.
FF has new players? Sense when? Realistically the only reason why this game is updated is for pickup player "elite". It's NOT geared toward new players. Stop kidding yourselves. And you know that is a fact. Everyone has complained and/or commented about how the updates were effecting the "pickups" ffs... And the only reason why you would compare Talos to OT is to troll. But, it's ok. We understand. =D

Old 07-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #37
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
FF has new players? Sense when? Realistically the only reason why this game is updated is for pickup player "elite". It's NOT geared toward new players. Stop kidding yourselves. And you know that is a fact. Everyone has complained and/or commented about how the updates were effecting the "pickups" ffs... And the only reason why you would compare Talos to OT is to troll. But, it's ok. We understand. =D
I'm so confused right now, where in my post did I say new player? OH WAIT, yea I didn't.

I even tried to find the word NEW in my post.

Shall I just completely make you look like a fool?

Old 07-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #38
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Double Post Admin Abuse Time!

I'll make it very simple, the PUG Group is using the default 2.43 config, while Talos does not. What does that say? If this game was soo geared towards pickup players, then why are they using the 2.43 configs and not a fucked up config with 4 EMPS and a HWGuy Mirv? Or a Solider who's laser grenade pretty much instagibs everying? Hmm?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #39
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Quote:
Double Post Admin Abuse Time!

I'll make it very simple, the PUG Group is using the default 2.43 config, while Talos does not. What does that say? If this game was soo geared towards pickup players, then why are they using the 2.43 configs and not a fucked up config with 4 EMPS and a HWGuy Mirv? Or a Solider who's laser grenade pretty much instagibs everying? Hmm?
Pickup community plays within the bounds of the game created, always has. They might make specific rules to optimize the game play to create a more competitive streamlined match, but they don't change the game.

I know your question was directed at the lunatic (he has to be insane, he's reading words that don't exist), I just wanted to answer the question

But I am curious to hear his answer, or an answer from anyone who despises the pickup community. What really sounds worse? Changing the game parameters and refusing to play the game that was created for them, or learning a few rules created by a group of players who seek a competitive game, no matter how the devs actually change the game.

Changing the game parameters on a public server when there are only a few active ones out there, giving no choice but to play the game their way and not the proper way.

Or choosing to accept the rules enforced by the pickup players and play with them, or choosing not to accept the rules enforced and to not play with them.

Lol, and everyone thought the pickup community is full of arrogance.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #40
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Turns out this "enhancement" has made its way onto the O-T server as well...

Closed Thread