Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Rounded corners on a wall

I'm new to mapping and I've been trying different methods to achieve this so I was wondering if it were even possible.

I have a 16 unit thick wall that has a half cylinder on top of it with 6 sides. The same wall has another half cylinder with 6 sides. Currently there is a gap where the 2 cylinders meet and I want to make a rounded corner that will fit each of those 6 sides on both cylinder ends perfectly. Is there a way to do this?

I've tried spheres, displacements/subdividing/clipping and nothing seems to work. The closest I can get is by creating a sphere but I think the fact that my wall is 16 units thick and the cylinder has 12 points before I cut it in half that when I try making a sphere 16 units wide with 12 points, it doesn't quite look like a sphere. I can make a 6 point sphere fine but when I clip it into its quarter, it doesn't match up with the 6-sided cylinder ends.

I've checked the interlopers site as well as some other resource/tutorial sites with no luck.

Here's a couple images of what I'm talking about:

Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
aleXtric
#FF.Pickup Dictator
Beta Tester

Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: KiNGz .
Posts Rated Helpful 100 Times
I'm very new to hammer so I could be wrong. I don't think what you're describing is possible.

But I think youd have better luck lining them up if you cut them and made them "rounded" yourself so that all the lines would be on the grid. Then pull the horizontal one forward above the vertical one and make cuts from the top that line up with the vertical one.

http://www.ffpickup.com/?p=irc

Last edited by aleXtric; 10-11-2013 at 01:12 AM.
aleXtric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2013, 02:58 AM   #3
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Ok so I finally got it. I followed this tutorial:
And while the overall end product is different, it was made using the same principle. After some tinkering with vertices I was able to get it all lined up with the existing cylinder ends.

Still, it'd be nice if hammer had a way to make this process easier.

Now I just need to figure out how to match the faces of those textures to the faces on the cylinders.

ff_plunder - Complete

Last edited by KubeDawg; 10-11-2013 at 03:00 AM.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
the_cake
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 144 Times
I think you can fake roundovers with displacements? Displacement master squeek might know. I think (emphasis think) displacements get a phong interpolation pass which more or less smooths out edges. Other than that you can use models, which allow a high poly count and support phong interpolation. You can kinda fake rounding with clever use of bumpmaps as well. Neither of the last two options are easy but when you see amazing looking source maps that's probably what the mappers are doing.

Last edited by the_cake; 10-12-2013 at 07:11 PM.
the_cake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
ddm999
worst ff player eu

Class/Position: o - no, d - scout
Gametype: IvDZ
Posts Rated Helpful 18 Times
Pro tip: Putting too much detail in a map is completely useless and a lot of people who are new to mapping do it!

Literally, look at any good map made by anyone and it has almost no rounded edges (closest you get is slightly curved edges on ksour) and misaligned textures.

No-one actually cares to look while they're playing, so...

Old 10-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm999 View Post
Pro tip: Putting too much detail in a map is completely useless and a lot of people who are new to mapping do it!

Literally, look at any good map made by anyone and it has almost no rounded edges (closest you get is slightly curved edges on ksour) and misaligned textures.

No-one actually cares to look while they're playing, so...
While the gameplay of the map itself is what matters, that doesn't mean that detail goes unappreciated.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
homie in reboks'

Class/Position: Soldier & Medic
Affiliations: ( ir :: ) iv| K^ †
Posts Rated Helpful 80 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
While the gameplay of the map itself is what matters, that doesn't mean that detail goes unappreciated.
Yeah, no one even notices the untextured bits in tidalwave, but we play it all the time. Fu FDgay

Old 10-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Well technically it's not a rounded edge, but has 6 sides with 6 15 degree angle slices, each at different angles, that make it look rounded. I know it's probably not that big of a deal, but this is FF, not Minecraft. A blocky looking map does not look good.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 10-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
I have a tendency to rush maps so I can see how they play. That doesn't mean a more detailed job would go unappreciated.

Quote:
Well technically it's not a rounded edge, but has 6 sides with 6 15 degree angle slices, each at different angles, that make it look rounded.
...It's a goddamn rounded edge.

Last edited by FDA_Approved; 10-13-2013 at 06:32 PM.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
Jay Mofo Mills
Jay|mOfO|Mills
Beta Tester

Gametype: Snag the flag beotches
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
My two cents

Kube, I appreciate a mapper that takes some time and adds trims and rounds edges and takes a minute to make their map look nice. No it may not add to gameplay, but anybody who makes maps will notice.

That aside, it may not be the fix you wanted but here is an easier way to do it taking the picture you uploaded into consideration.

lets assume the rounded corner you have missing and want to create is a 16x16 space. Take the top rounded portion (16x however long) and the side rounded portion and copy a 16x16 section of each that overlaps on the corner(the empty space you want to fill). Use the clipping brush on a 45 degree angle to cut out 1/2 of each block so it tapers the direction you want. This will make the corner meet and keep the curve of each wall but not make a complete rounded corner. If your rounded corners were created the same they will line up peachy and you will save a ton of time. Otherwise I'd use the torus tool and clip off what you dont need.... Displacements also will work but if you dont do it correctly (i.e. make 6 copies of the displacement then only use the middle one) the outside edges will not really be curves.

Make sure you make that stuff func_detail

Interlopers has great tutorials for this kind of stuff
Jay Mofo Mills is offline   Reply With Quote