Old 04-13-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
FreaK367
Everyones favorite FreaK
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout, Engineer and Sniper
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 17 Times
Pirates, Vikings & Knights II

Thought I'd give a shout out to another fellow mod through Steam, Pirates, Vikings and Knights II.

Official site here: http://www.pvkii.com/
Steam Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/17570/?snr=1_4_4__13

It is a mainly melee based game, which is as simple as the game suggests, 3 teams, Pirates, Vikings and Knights, which is something for everyone, each team has it's own different classes, with different weapons and abilities.

The game is multiplayer only, and has a fairly large community, always servers up and populated. When you strike, your weapon has a charge, the bigger the charge, the more power/damage. Like most melee games you can parry, and use shields, if you parry with a smaller weapon, you take only some of the damage. Unlike some other games, you strike with your weapon the way you are moving, each movement strikes in a different direction, left, right, up down, often pressing down when charging thrusts your sword or spear forward instead of slashing to the left or right or overhead. This also applies to Parry, you parry the way you move.

Each class has it's own special move, if you cause damage to others and kill you have a special bar that fills up, and by pushing an assigned key, you can unleash your special attack, whether it be an unstoppable charge, an extremely powerful 360 swing, or anything, it ranges from class to class. And causes huge damage.

There are some ranged classes/weapons, that have ranged and melee weapons, an Archer class for Knights, two of the Viking classes, and all of the pirate classes have ranged weapons.

The graphics are great for a mod, and the gameplay is excellent and pretty balanced, maps are large and well designed and there's always multiple ways to get somewhere so you can avoid and flank enemies.

And the game has 120 Steam Achievements to get, I've only collected 58 so far.

I could talk for much longer about all of the game mechanics and such, but you get the picture, it's a complex, fun, active mod. Check some of the screenshots on the steam page or website for an insight into gameplay. Or just watch a youtube video of the gameplay, there's plenty of them.

I would recommend you try this mod out, it's the main rival to the other popular melee mod Age of Chivalry.

Last edited by FreaK367; 04-13-2011 at 01:03 AM.
FreaK367 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2011, 02:08 AM   #2
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
Yeah, It's pretty enjoyable for a while. the melee combat itself doesn't have much depth IMO, but the three-way combat is really fun and the classes are unique.

Frankly, though, FF has a smaller community than PVK, so it's kind of a dick move advertising it here and trying to take our players.
Crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
FreaK367
Everyones favorite FreaK
D&A Member

Haha, you mustn't have much faith in your game if you assume advertising a fellow mod will take away players.

I play hundreds of games, and Fortress Forever is still my favorite. It is hardly a comparible game. I'd be taking the piss if I advertised Team Fortress 2 or another fortress game however.

And although I have just got round to joining the FF forums, I have been playing Fortress Forever since soon after it came out.

Last edited by FreaK367; 04-13-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl View Post
Yeah, It's pretty enjoyable for a while. the melee combat itself doesn't have much depth IMO, but the three-way combat is really fun and the classes are unique.

Frankly, though, FF has a smaller community than PVK, so it's kind of a dick move advertising it here and trying to take our players.
I don't think it's a "dick move" or trying to "steal our players". This is the "other games" section, after all. It's simply telling us about yet another game out there we may enjoy. At least, that's how I read it.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 12:12 AM   #5
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
Yeah, I'm not mad or anything. It just rubbed me the wrong way because Insurgency, PVK, and Dystopia are already bigger than FF (afaik). They're not new or unknown if you follow mods at all.
Crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 01:15 AM   #6
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Generally, I don't. I randomly discover new games/mods either when Steam puts up their window, or when someone mentions them(here on other forums I'm on). I'm thinking this game is worth checking out. It certainly looks interesting.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
FreaK367
Everyones favorite FreaK
D&A Member

All of the mods I have posted, including Fortress Forever, are completely different from eachother, for someone to change from one mod to the other, would need to be quite simple minded.

One is a Team Fortress mod, one is a modern warefare mod, one is a futuristic cyberpunk mod, and one is a mod with pirates, vikings and knights in it.

It would be like someone returning Black Ops because they picked up a copy of Kirby's Epic Yarn.