Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2006, 11:38 PM   #41
o_littleandroidman

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651ett
Well, if his heart lies with the llamas and he never goes outside, I suppose yellow really is the place
Going outside is overrated. Too many weirdos.
o_littleandroidman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2006, 11:40 PM   #42
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
We don't know what the groups are for. It was hinted maybe they had something to do with beta testing, but that's not likely anymore. They might just be for the hell of it.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:41 PM   #43
o_rifle

Join yellow it's the right place for you, zydell will teach you the way of the yellow team.

EDIT:We could be FF's harry potter win the most points and get to beta teast first.
o_rifle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2006, 11:43 PM   #44
o_littleandroidman

Do I get money?
o_littleandroidman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2006, 12:30 PM   #45
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
join my darker shade of yellow. a lot of the other yellows are a bunch of clowns.

Old 07-23-2006, 03:09 AM   #46
o_nezumi

Disliking TFC is one thing, but to say that it didn't ivolve any skill is not an opinion and is factually wrong.

P.S. Merv, aren't you at least a little embarrased to be on yellow? I mean, if it comes to winning house-points the reds have got everyone else beat, no question...
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2006, 04:49 AM   #47
o_the russian

The arguements are persistant and lines are too easily drawn between those who enjoyed one type of TF mod over another. What people forget is it is not their loyalty that is in question, but the feel of the gameplay. And no-one should truly comment on something like QWTF or TFC being better than either unless they haved played them both before any questioning of which was the best was introduced into any forum. Because when you can only truly judge gameplay when you have no false expectations.

It is the same reason why reviews from GameSpot or IGN seem out-of-wack sometimes. Each reviewer is forced to rate a game and give a scale, and to formulate any scale you need to have an idea or expectation of something appearing or something not appearing.

When you take into account that QWTF and TFC, each have a large and different history, you can see the scope of bias reaching into anyone who has played them.

So, to solve the problem of these threads being simply personal oppinions, people should consider posting what exactly about THAT mod to them was special, and contrasting it with the other mod in a detailed way. Point being, so there can actualy be something constructive about these arguements that can be gained by the next generation of gamers.

I'll start...

I enjoyed QWTF more because it felt fluid, it felt like TF was not just a mod of Quake but an extension. The persistance of the same weapon models only added to this. My love for the mod is for its autheticity, as it was the first TF mod created and not under the guise of arbitrary business practices like product testing and profitability. In truth what I mean by this is that it was created for the sake of being created, for ingenuity... it is further highlighted by the fact that rocket jumping, strafe-speed-runing, bunny-hopping, hanging from a grapple and concing were all accidental developments that added to the flavour of the mod simply because they were accidental. And since they were accidental it took a lot of mastering to perfect them. Right now we take these aspects of TF to be granted as the dimensions of gameplay within TF, but back then it was like "watch what I can do!" and "I didnt know that was possible!". The original fact that you could rocket jump to the top floor of 2fort4 with a single rocket was totaly accidental.

What I see in contrast to TFC is that, firstly, it was created as a product test for Halfe Life 1 when they assimilated the Team Fortress designers. It was meant to be used as a guide for mod-makers and not the hardcore gaming experience enjoyed from it today. Just adding to the feel that they made the mod without caring about it. Purpose-of-Creation asside, it seemed evident that not a lot of effort went into the first TFC release, where the gameplay seemed diss-jointed by the fact that physics didnt work quite right. They tried to build the elements that were accidentaly discovered in QWTF into TFC and they failed to get a handle on them. Everything was affected, from missile radius and speed, to the way people used rocket juping or gren jumping, to the way that the shotgun was used and beyond. They tried to create a stripped down clone of TF with what Halfe Life could offer. Later this would be improved upon, but only because of the mods popularity, and not greatly because it was not proffitable to do so. There is no doubt that the gameplay in TFC is smoother now than when it was first released but it seems like they just had a lot to make up for.
o_the russian is offline   Reply With Quote