Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Tech

Old 09-02-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
My computer is acting up.

I had it upgraded in early July, it ran fine, but a problem came up. My sound got distorted sometimes, and I experienced a lot of lag on my end, computer slowdown I mean, so I re-installed XP, and it got good again, then after reinstalling xp a bunch of times it wouldn't work, but finally now it's working the way it's supposed to.

But there's a little problem.. I'm getting like around 5 fps in source games, especially the horribly optimized one: TF2. I'm getting less then 10 fps in that game, and less then 25 in TFC. plus it stutter lags online. Other games, they're slow in general.

Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.40GHz
4GB RAM
9800 GT 1GB
2.40GHz

Also, before I ask what you guys recommend, what's the proper way to removing a driver? I have version 182.42 of my nvidia driver installed, and the newest one is 190.62.

I already format'd a bunch, checked for viruses, cleaned my fans, restarted a bunch, and what not. Should I uninstall System Pack 3?

Last edited by Everything; 09-02-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Everything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
Epidemic
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Engineer (D and O)
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Ok. A few questions.

1. What do you mean by "upgraded"? What was upgraded? Processor? Ram?
2. How old is the computer itself?

Also, the best way to remove a driver is going in to device manager and finding the video card, right click on it and hit uninstall.

In XP this can be found by right clicking on My Computer and hitting properties, go the hardware tab and click on device manager. Your video card/s will be under display adapters.
Epidemic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epidemic View Post
Ok. A few questions.

1. What do you mean by "upgraded"? What was upgraded? Processor? Ram?
2. How old is the computer itself?

Also, the best way to remove a driver is going in to device manager and finding the video card, right click on it and hit uninstall.

In XP this can be found by right clicking on My Computer and hitting properties, go the hardware tab and click on device manager. Your video card/s will be under display adapters.
1. Meaning, new parts put in it. I had RAM upgraded to 4 from 1, Video Card from a 7100 GS 512mb to a BFG 9800 GT 1GB and I now have another hard drive, which is 250GB.

2. Well, I don't know, I got my initial one back in 2007, then it had its specs upgraded two times now.

5200LE > 7100 GS > 9800 GT
767 RAM > 1005 > 3.23GB (it's said to be 4)
Same CPU.

I'll try the device manager method, thanks.

Last edited by Everything; 09-02-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Everything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Go to the nvidia website and download the most recent drivers. Did you install Mobo drivers?

Old 09-03-2009, 12:44 AM   #5
Epidemic
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Engineer (D and O)
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
It could be caused by the thermal grease between the processor and heatsink. An overheating processor can cause all sorts of problems, including this. The grease can harden and will not cool your computer at all making your processor overheat. Being that it's a newer motherboard, you can install a program called speedfan, from http://www.almico.com/speedfan439.exe which will read you your temperatures for your thermal probes in your computer. Your CPU should genereally be under 120F idle. AMDs tend to run a little hotter. If you're seeing 170F or higher then that will definately be your issue. You may not see this issue though until you put your processor under some load (i.e. start gaming and game for a few minutes leaving the program running and minimize the game after a few minutes and see what it's at).
Epidemic is offline   Reply With Quote