Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #41
Caboose45

Class/Position: O Heavy, D Heavy
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: -lostjesters-
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
If heavy weapons guy will be tough to translate without being too long or silly sounding, you could always try translating it out as heavy man or something like that. Or scouts could be Fast Man, Demoman could be Demolition (explosion?) man.

I don't know, it depends on how those things look when they are translated, just an idea
Caboose45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #42
Rultes

What about russian language, do you need it?
Rultes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #43
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Sure... just follow the above guidelines.

We'll seriously take any language, but you guys have to do the work. We don't have the staff to handle stuff like translation.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #44
s0undch4s3r
The guy you love to hate.

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Chinese

内容1.介绍/重要信息(这个岗位!) 2.翻译岗位规则3.重要信息4。 FortressForever_english.txt介绍/重要信息堡垒最近永远得到要求帮助翻译FF成他们的各自地方语言球员的汇集。感激地,来源引擎实际上支持多 种语言和it' 我们会非常喜欢支持的s特点。您会再对翻译另一种语言的FF感兴趣的如果,在这条螺纹的岗位。这您必须真正 地做的全部:有一个文本文件在您的FF目录里在这个地点: X:\program files\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\fortressforever\r esource \ FortressForever_english.txt那里x是安排蒸汽安装您的驱动。这个文本文件(被 列出在岗位的末端)包含永远被写屏幕上和在菜单为堡垒的所有材料。如果您能翻译所有这些词成您的各自语言, 则我们支持您的在未来补丁的语言将是非常容易的。对于您的便利,文本文件是列出的在这则消息的 末端在 [代码]标记的。

Last edited by s0undch4s3r; 06-02-2009 at 10:16 AM.
s0undch4s3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #45
LowLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garland-W View Post
I'll translate it to Swedish if you have the swedish letters å,ä,ö in your font.
same here, I can translate into swedish aslo
LowLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2009, 11:11 PM   #46
LowLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
What about the vocal flag sounds and voice commands?
Hmm...find a good Text-To-Speech program? :S
LowLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #47
VMX

I'm about to start translating the file to Spanish (Castellano, from Spain), as I don't see any posts here that show that it's been done.

There's a lot of chat about it, but there doesn't seem to be any actual finished translation (they should be here in this thread, right?).

Let's try to give Fortress Forever as much help as possible to gain popularity, or otherwise we'll never have an actual TFC followup to play in the future...
VMX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #48
VMX

Erm, could I ask who wrote this? :

Quote:
"Training_AvD_Desc" "Attack versus defend is when one team is being quite aggressive and the other team is sitting back and being nice but still shooting the other team."
"Training_Spy_Desc" "Learn how to play spy it is really good. You can stab and shoot and all sorts of exciting things like that."
The 'help' texts below for each class seem alright, more serious and well written, but those 2 paragraphs look like written by a 10 y/o (no offense intended).

Should I translate that just as it is, or could I be a bit more creative just to avoid the poor sintax and descriptions?

Last edited by VMX; 08-17-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #49
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
You can ignore those training entries. They aren't used.
Crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2009, 10:08 PM   #50
Firefox11

Class/Position: O&D: Pyro, Sniper
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMX View Post
I'm about to start translating the file to Spanish (Castellano, from Spain), as I don't see any posts here that show that it's been done.
Seeing the other guy hasn't shown for quite a while, I'll offer my help in anything you need to translate it to Spanish.

Also, I believe those two entries are written like that just for comedy value (or I always thought that O_o)
Firefox11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #51
VMX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox11 View Post
Seeing the other guy hasn't shown for quite a while, I'll offer my help in anything you need to translate it to Spanish.

Also, I believe those two entries are written like that just for comedy value (or I always thought that O_o)
Cool. I'll tell you what I came up with to solve the classes naming issue. Tell me what you think.

I think it's just absurd to leave something like "engineer" or "medic" untranslated. You'll later have to use it in the help texts, etc., and saying something like "Un engineer es..." is really weird in my opinion, because they're normal and usual profession names.

So I think that we could translate the most obvious classes, while leaving the others as they are in English, paying special attention at how people name them in TFC too.

So I thought that Sniper, Soldier, Medic, Spy and Engineer should be translated to their obvious Spanish counterparts, as they are single and normal words. While things like Scout, Demoman, HWGuy and Pyro should be left as they are, because you either need various words to translate them, or just there isn't a proper way to translate it without changing the meaning a little.

Scout and Pyro could be translated to 'Explorador' and 'Incendiario', like in TFC, but I think those don't really respect their real meaning so it would be better to leave them as they are. That way, Spanish players will have it easier when talking to English speaking people in-game about the classes.

Also, I believe sentry gun could be translated like in TFC, Arma centinela, and jump pad would be something like "Plataforma de salto", although it's a bit long... what do you think?

Detpack would also be good as "Paquete bomba", but I'm not sure yet...

You know, any opinions you have on this will be welcome.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #52
Firefox11

Certainly, the class names is a big issue. Translating them can make it easier for players that don't understand English to get a small idea of what each class does, but translating Demoman (Experto en explosivos) is too long and probably would "kill" the hints (not fitting in the hint space) due to excessive lenght.

However, translating only some while leaving other in English may look like unpolished or just plain weird. Either translate it all, or leave it in English a la TF2.

Weapons and buildables should be translated, if possible. So I would use "Arma Centinela", "Dispensador", etc. The mancannon/jump pad, I think it should be translated as "Pad/pod de salto" (choose whichever sounds better); even if it's not a complete translation, most gamers can get an idea that "pad" or "pod" is used to reference a hi-tech device (although "pod" makes me think more of robots, but w/e).

Detpack is a tricky one. Literaly it's "Paquete Bomba", but as many of the translations you may run out of space in the hint/weapon selection menu. However we don't know yet, so it's probably better to use this direct translation unless there are confirmed issues about length.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #53
VMX

Yeah, I see what you mean.

Then I'm probably more inclined to keep them all in English, even if the texts in the help, etc. look really stupid (people won't read them more than once anyway).

However, would it be alright if we left them untranslated in the class selection buttons and hints (everywhere else where there are spacing issues), but deployed the full Spanish equivalent in long texts (like the class description, etc). That way people would quickly know what the class names mean by seeing the English name in the menus, then reading the Spanish description. The texts wouldn't look stupid and spacing issue is solved where it applies.

What do you think?

Old 08-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #54
VMX

Hey, something else.

What should I do with these:

"FF_MEDENGYMENU_ARMOR" "engyme; say_team I need armor! H:%H, A:%A"
"FF_MEDENGYMENU_MEDIC" "saveme; say_team I need health! H:%H, A:%A"
"FF_MEDENGYMENU_AMMO" "engyme; say_team I need ammo!"

I know "engyme", "say_team", etc. are commands, but should I translate the "I need armor", "I need health", etc.??

Right now I guess there are mostly English speaking players in every server, so I'm not sure if it would be too useful for a Spanish guy to have those translated. He would understand them better, but maybe nobody else could read that, which is the point if you need help

Plus, if those got translated in every other language, the team chat would be a mess with everyone asking for help in their own language

Should I leave them in English?

Old 08-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #55
Firefox11

It's your call to translate them when there is no space problem. Maybe put both in English and in Spanish:
Code:
El Explorador (Scout) es la clase más rápida ...
so it' even easier to tell which class you are speaking of.

As for the "help" commands, I can't really tell. I imagine that you don't send that same message, but every client receives the data that you used the FF_MEDENGYMENU_ARMOR/MEDIC/AMMO command and loads it on the same client on it's own language, so everyone will get the message in the language they've set FF (like in TF2, where the Incoming, Go Left, Go, etc. commands are translated to your set language). Would be nice to have some confirmation on this before translating it.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #56
VMX

Great idea for the "Scout (Explorador)", that's the best option I believe.

As for the chat messages, if they work anything like in TFC (and thus HL1), they'll appear as they're seen there.

The commands "say whatever" and "say_team whatever" will just print the word "whatever" in either the public or the team chat respectively. It's widely used in binds, to assign custom sentences to particular keys so that you don't have to type. So basically the command "FF_MEDENGYMENU_ARMOR" will probably be called only in your own client when you ask for an engy (it'll probably be assigned to a key), and it will just shout for help while printing that plain text into the chat for others to see, showing YOUR health an armor.

So, using a command from your client like:

Code:
"say_team I need armor! H:%H, A:%A"
will always output this in the chat:

Code:
Player (TEAM): I need armor! H:100, A:200
while:

Code:
"say_team ¡Necesito armadura! H:%H, A:%A"
will always output:

Code:
Player (TEAM): ¡Necesito armadura! H:100, A:200
The "saveme", "engyme", are just the usual commands to shout "MEDIIIC!!", etc.

That's why I believe it'd be better to leave them in English.

Some more stuff:

Battlements - ? Maybe "barricadas" or something? It's quite hard because there isn't really a word for it.

Plank - Tablaje? (not sure what it refers to)

Respawn and Spawn - ? Should I leave them in English? Hard ones really.

P.S.: Translation is at 60% aproximately

Old 08-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #57
Firefox11

Hm, now that I think about it, I don't recall ever seeing a help message after using the Medic or Armor call (and I use them quite frequently, just for fun), so maybe there's no message after all. Not sure though, so it's probably best to leave it in English.

Now, the locations.
- Battlements: Seeing as they usually function as a Sniper zone, might as well name it "Zona de tiro". If there's any Sniper Deck location, you can translate it as "Puesto de Sniper/Francotirador". No real translation as you said, so it's pretty much a matter of taste.
- Plank: Kinda hard to do this one. Literal translation doesn't help at all, so since the plank is usually an alternate route to the flag room, you could name it "Corredor/pasillo trasero" or something along those lines.
- Respawn & spawn: Probably best to leave them as is. At most, you could change "respawn" as "reaparición" in any non-location text.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #58
VMX

Thanks a lot! That was really helpful.

We'll have:

Battlements - Zona de tiro
Sniper perch - Puesto de francotirador
Plank - Corredor trasero (after thinking a lot about it, I really couldn't come up with anything better).

And yes, I had already translated "respawn" when it appeared as a verb (i.e.: "volverás a salir/aparecer", etc.), but I'll definately leave the location name untranslated. Any attempt would require 2 or 3 weird-looking words.

I'll keep posting here if I need anything else. Let's hope this can be finished in 1-2 more days.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #59
VMX

oh, about some funny stuff:

The "radiotag" rifle's bullets are called "95.8 CAPITAL". Since the rifle has been fusioned with the sniper rifle, I don't think this is used anymore, right?

Though we could always translate it as "40 PRINCIPALES"

Also, the "40MM THINGS" for the grenade/pipe launcher, should we go for the literal "cosas", or can you think of something more funny?

I also have a doubt with the engy's "cells".

In TFC, they were translated as "clavos". Wrongly in my opinion, since you get confused with the nailgun and you end up thinking that the engy shoots nails with his railgun, which is a mess

We could say "celdas" / "células", or go for a more liberal approach and use something like "chapas", "placas" or even "tornillos" (as he uses a wrench to build stuff).

I like chapas, but it can seem like the ones in the coke/beer bottles, which may sound weird. Tornillos is the most "liberal" one, but I think it would do the trick, since you avoid the confusion with "clavos" yet give the feeling of something countable, composed by little units, and certainly used with the spanner to build/repair stuff.

What do you think?

Last edited by VMX; 08-18-2009 at 02:54 PM.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #60
Firefox11

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMX View Post
The "radiotag" rifle's bullets are called "95.8 CAPITAL". Since the rifle has been fusioned with the sniper rifle, I don't think this is used anymore, right?

Though we could always translate it as "40 PRINCIPALES"
Rofl xD Yeah, I guess you can go with whatever you like here ;D Same as with the Demo's... things =D

As for the Engie, I think the best bet is to go with "metal", much like in TF2. Although "tornillos" wouldn't be bad either!

By the way, if you haven't got past the weapon naming part and plan to translate them, my suggestion for the "nailgun" is either "claveteadora" (because it shoots "clavos") or "remachadora" (because is the real life weapon that acts similar). Having to put it as "pistola de clavos" sounds a bit weird, but maybe it's just me. As always, your call.