Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
yeah it is...

you stay in the water area (out of sg range) while cloaked. when the engi leaves to resupply, you uncloack and climb the ladder and sabotage.

read it again, sir.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #42
Grau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss
yeah it is...

you stay in the water area (out of sg range) while cloaked. when the engi leaves to resupply, you uncloack and climb the ladder and sabotage.

read it again, sir.

I don't think I'm the one who has trouble reading here.

Quote:
The best way to sabotage SG: cloak, disguise, run up to SG (staying out of sight. uncloak, sabotage
Edit: I understand what he is trying to say (I think). However, the way he worded it makes it sound like you can cloak right up to the gun.
Grau is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #43
x00m
dreamer

Though it's extremely frustrating to get into the spy class at first, I think Im starting to get the hang of it. I do have two problems atm though:

1) What am I supposed to do on push maps? There is constant grenade spamming, rocket spamming and bullets flying everywhere and everyone is spychecking everything. These maps are extremely biased to spamming firepower (soldier, HW, medic with disease stuff, pyro, demo). I usually go sniper on these (the second class I love) but those have it hard too on these maps. Should I just avoid these maps, go HW/Soldier (classes I think are boring/too easy) or is there any special things spies are supposed to do on these maps?

2) I usually have zero problems getting inside the enemy base and behave like one of them, but my problem is to actually find enemies to stab! Bases are almost always deserted when you face an aggressive team (most ppl are aggressive) except for some engi's. And I can't go near the engi's or their SG because they spycheck. And I can't pretend to be a soldier guarding the flag either because they spycheck the living crap out of me too. I've had some success capturing the enemy flag and so, but I want to stab and sneak around. What should I do when there is only snipers to kill? (and sometimes there isn't even any snipers around)

Last edited by x00m; 10-03-2007 at 08:39 PM.
x00m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #44
Riff Zifnab
-TPF-

a) Not every class works on every map, yeah push is a spam fest, no way around that. Work on another class, there are other classes then HW/Soldier.

b) You could always run after them and BS them after they leave the spawn (pretend to be a sniper at the main doors, from invis, or something. Tranq snipe midfield so your snipers have an easier time. If you have access to greandes (Well) you could just leave pressents around for people (spamy and cheap). DM in mid-field. Pick a different class and do something else.
Riff Zifnab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2007, 11:45 PM   #45
x00m
dreamer

I like ff_well a lot. It offers many kinds of gameplay and tactics, and most of the time there is room for spy business. And if the base is empty I can always put a gas nade on the other side of the spawn doors.

Is there any other class besides snipers and soldiers I can "act" like if I wanna stay in the enemy base? Everybody seems to spycheck engineers, and for good reasons. If they see me walk around doing nothing (not setting up any dispensers/SGs at all), ofc they will shoot me. Every other class but those 3 are offensive classes.
x00m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2007, 06:50 PM   #46
Riff Zifnab
-TPF-

Oh yeah, for fun try running around as an enemy spy. I find the irony delicious. (:
Riff Zifnab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #47
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grau
I don't think I'm the one who has trouble reading here.
aye, you win. GOOD JOB. just so its clear, uncloak BEFORE you get to the sg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x00m
1) What am I supposed to do on push maps? There is constant grenade spamming
RONG

there are no grenades on push.

and you can do well by going up the ramps on the sides cloaked and waiting until theres an opening. demos and pyros are usually good classes to disguise as since they are similar to the spy in speed, and demos generally camp out in defensive positions anyway so you wont be out of place.

unless you mean AD (attack, defend) maps, in which case those are where the spy can really do some damage. again, disguise as a demoman or hw, and once you get past the gates kill the engineers manning their guns with your nades or backstabs, sabotage, DESTROYYYYYY
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 02:51 AM   #48
AGronbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Tranq is single-shotty on Soldiers. Nailgun is RPG.
In the next patch, will there be a box that will show information such as the above?

Please...
AGronbach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #49
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGronbach
In the next patch, will there be a box that will show information such as the above?

Please...
To be honest, it's not a very hard concept to grasp.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 12:38 AM   #50
asdaa

ive been running this whole time with SS in my hand thinking it would show up as a RPG.
asdaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2007, 03:27 AM   #51
toshinator

heres a tip that you guys havent mentioned yet:

when cloaked always stay on the outer walls. enemies tend to take the shortest way to their destinations. also, by pushing against the wall you can move forward or backward at a slower pace making it harder to see you.

you guys have been talking about having trouble with push maps. here is what i do... forget the secret agent man style playing and just ru around like you would anyother class and kill people or tranq them.

best way to deal with enemies(especeally snipers) at a distance(too far to use a shotty or farther):

cloak, whip out the tranq, shoot them, cloak again. repeat until either the enemy dies or gets pissed of and leaves to go somewhere else.
toshinator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #52
Agent_W
The Black Shield

This is Agent W, the Black Shield, and I approve this thread.

<--stamps 'seal of approval'

That is all.

Agent_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2008, 10:39 PM   #53
Jet Pack Pyro
Guy who steals your fries

Class/Position: Offensive Pyro
Gametype: Waterpolo, when I'm pyro? yes
Affiliations: I'm a loner...
Well, you all have covered the offensive Spy very well. But (in my mind) I always thought of the Spy as hybrid, being good at offense AND defense. For those people who want to be different, here's some DEFENSE tips:

As a spy, you can basically be at any part of the defense. You could be front line, middle line, or last line. Here's how to do each one:

Front Line:
Step 1. Stand at the entrance to your base or at the less-used entrances or in a tight, commonly used entrance. WHILE CLOAKED.
Step 2. Do the smart thing and throw a gas grenade there to weaken enemy offense.
Step 3. If they run through the gas, whip out your tranq and shoot them. (I find hallucinations + tranq = a severe case of deadness.
Step 4. If your enemy is fast (scout/medic, etc.) try ONE tranq shot and follow up with your SS to injure them as much as possible for the rest of your defense. If you try any more than one tranq on them, they'll be long gone.
Step 5. If your enemy is tough (soldier, pyro, etc.) tranqing them should be easy. Once they're tranqed + hallucinating, go for the backstab. They'll probably be firing wildly, so, uh, try not to get hit.

Middle Line:
Step 1. Find a chokepoint or tight hallway.
Step 2. Go the end opposite the enemy will come and go as far down as possible.
Step 3. Throw a couple gas grenades.
Step 4. Cloak and be ready with your tranq with the nailgun set at quickswitch.
Step 5. When they come, fire a couple tranqs to cover the whole hallway.
Step 6. With the enemy slowed down, taking constant DoT, and horrible vision, fire your nailgun down the hallway and watch them die.

Last Line:
Step 1. Stand on your flag (wherever it is) while cloaked with your tranq at the ready and knife on quickswitch.
Step 2. Toss a gas grenade at the entrance.
Step 3. When the enemy comes, WAIT FOR THEM TO GET NEAR THE FLAG to ensure the tranq hits.
Step 4. Whilre the enemy is disoriented, run around and backstab.
Variation to Step 4. Wait for the enemy to take your flag and they turn around, then take a few steps to ensure the backstab.

Also, I've noticed some people on this thread saying that they can sabotage an sg while cloaked. You can't. The best way to approach a SG is to hide behind some kind of cover or when no one's around. Do this "UN"cloaked AND disguised.

Last edited by Jet Pack Pyro; 11-21-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Jet Pack Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote