Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Tips and Tutorials

Old 03-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Flametrimping.

Also, FTP.

It's something I've kept to myself since the release of 2.0 but felt I should share it anyway since I've shared it with a few people already.

The technique is simple and makes the pyro usable on offense but has absolutely no use on defense. This could also be a skill used on skill maps.

First, you must understand how the trimp works. I can't explain why it works, or how, as it doesn't make sense to me. Just think of it as a jump and a half when you've only done half a jump. Eh. See what I mean? You'll know what I'm talking about if you've ever jump a lot on a ramp. Every now and then you'll go higher than a normal jump. That is a trimp.

And that is what we are taking advantage of with this move.

So, we all know by now that the flamethrower has some push to it. In fact, it can propel you in whatever direction you are facing. If you see where I am going with this then you already understand how to do it so don't bother reading anymore. If you're still lost, continue on.

To start, look straight up with your flamethrower and start firing. Hold down your attack button. Now, jump. You should notice that you quickly return to the ground. Now, while in the air press and hold space. This will make you jump again.

After you land, immediately point your flamethrower directly under you. This will cause you to go incredibly high in the air.

Here is a quick video of me doing this:

http://www.wegame.com/watch/Flametrimp/

Enjoy.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
Adamido
Its over nine thousands!!!

Class/Position: midmap pyro / o spy
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I was doing that, and also I thought It was normal , well-known technique :P.
I kinda fail at doing it incredibly high, but much higher than normal. Guy named Icculus is awesome in doing this, he can jump from the ramp in the yard to catwalks at shutdown2.
Adamido is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
this is really cool...ty.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
SmellyCat
Darknight

Nice! So obvious actually seeing it, but it never really occured that it'd work, and that well too!.
SmellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
what you wanna call shit doesn't rly matter, but just so we all speak the same language: that's a double jump, not a trimp. a trimp is when you're sliding a ramp (or just about to hit a ramp and would slide it if you didn't trimp) and use jump to pop up into the air. some ppl call a "downwards trimp" when you bhop down a ramp to get speed (cos it's the same thing kinda, just the other way round). a double jump is when you jump within a certain amount of time of your previous jump you go higher (mainly useful when going up ramps/ledges/etc, when under low things so that you can hit your head on them and get down again fast, or indeed using the pyro's JETPACKEXTREME, etc)
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
Player
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
This could also be a skill used on skill maps.
Oh no, you read my mind!

I have already made a skills map utilising this technique :P

I also have sections where they have to get up stairs, but alas, they cannot jump up and their grenades / ammo have been removed! What do they do? What do they do? They use the low-laying ceilings!
Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #7
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesium
what you wanna call shit doesn't rly matter, but just so we all speak the same language: that's a double jump, not a trimp. a trimp is when you're sliding a ramp (or just about to hit a ramp and would slide it if you didn't trimp) and use jump to pop up into the air. some ppl call a "downwards trimp" when you bhop down a ramp to get speed (cos it's the same thing kinda, just the other way round). a double jump is when you jump within a certain amount of time of your previous jump you go higher (mainly useful when going up ramps/ledges/etc, when under low things so that you can hit your head on them and get down again fast, or indeed using the pyro's JETPACKEXTREME, etc)
Thanks for the wonderful history lesson. Except you forgot that what causes trimping to work is the same thing that causes the 'double jump' to work. They are the same thing. Exactly the same thing.

Ronald Reagan

Old 03-26-2008, 10:18 PM   #8
Mr. Happy
FF LOL

I don't think so. As I recall a trimp works because angular momentum is translated into forward momentum in quake based engines (which is why bunnyhopping works), where a double jump is not because of that.
Mr. Happy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #9
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Happy
I don't think so. As I recall a trimp works because angular momentum is translated into forward momentum in quake based engines (which is why bunnyhopping works), where a double jump is not because of that.
You have to jump on the ramp in order to trimp in the quake engine.

Ronald Reagan

Old 03-27-2008, 04:18 AM   #10
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Double jump and Trimmping is not the same. Here's an example, in openfire. Your in the water and you forward conc to the ramp and you ramp slide then you jump, thats trimping. Jumping the same ramp in openfire the jumping again, but 2nd jump makes you jump higher, thats double jump.

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2008, 04:34 AM   #11
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Thanks Geo. I actually didn't know that

Old 03-27-2008, 05:30 AM   #12
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
This is an exploit and it's going to ruin and unbalance the game.

(I don't really mean it, but no one's said it yet and the thread feels empty without some insane opinion. d: )

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2008, 05:53 AM   #13
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblowtatoes
The FF tutorial videos say otherwise. Let me find them.

Trimping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx4Tzin80sU

The concing ontop a ramp is called sliding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNimPfMMxV8

There is no such thing as double jumping..unless you are refering to a trimp.
Geo has it right. It is termed double jumping unless it involves rampsliding.

Although, I don't personally like the term double jump.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2008, 06:32 AM   #14
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
I was fucking around with "Double Flame Jump", and its a nice technique to know.

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2008, 09:11 AM   #15
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

unless FF has changed a load recently (i've been without pc cos of moving house):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
Thanks for the wonderful history lesson. Except you forgot that what causes trimping to work is the same thing that causes the 'double jump' to work. They are the same thing. Exactly the same thing.
no it's not the same, and they are not the same thing.

Quote:
The FF tutorial videos say otherwise. Let me find them.
those video tutorials have the name wrong. i told acid a while back but he obviously doesn't think it's important enough to update them (and it's not important tbh, it's just useful if we can all use the same terms so we can understand each other!). the big problem with naming them both "trimping" is that ppl might not realise all the cool movement "it" (i.e. trimping and double jumping) can let you do because they think it's only one feature.

Quote:
There is no such thing as double jumping..unless you are refering to a trimp.
yes there is.

PS as others have said, simply whether it involves a ramp isn't what determines what it is (e.g. probably the most common way to trigger a double jump is by jumping at a ramp). the best description i can give was in my last post, so read it carefully if you wanna understand.

Last edited by caesium; 03-27-2008 at 09:20 AM.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:26 AM   #16
Jester
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: O: Scout
Affiliations: {NFO} - New Family Order
Dear caesium,

You are wrong.

Love,
Everyone
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 AM   #17
Player
D&A Member

Quake terminology will settle all!

Trimping = ramp jumping = jumping on a ramp; effect most noticeable performed with speed; horizontal speed is converted into vertical speed, so to speak.

Double jumping = jumping in quick succession = find a ledge, jump from the lower surface up to the higher surface with a second jump queued; if done correctly, you should receive a boost to vertical speed, thus gaining more height.

They are two different skills, but the principle behind them is the same.

Double jumping does not work well in Fortress Forever as the player easily clips edges. In pretty much all Q3-based games, the player does not clip edges so easily, double jumping (the space between you and the corner of the ledge is not as strict as Fortress Forever, making double jumping more viable / readily performed) or not (you can hit a corner yet you seem to "bend" around it, not so with Fortress Forever)

Old 03-27-2008, 10:32 AM   #18
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

both are extremely useful in FF.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #19
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

pasted from a pm, figured might be useful:

pure trimps and downwards-trimps you can ofc check out going up/down any ramp.

for double jumps, aardvark has a load of places you can play around with them. some examples...

a nice easy one: from either of the hallways, jump at the little ramp leading up the fr and hold jump so that you jump again as soon as you hit the ramp. if your 2nd jump is soon enough after your 1st (if it's not, just do your 1st jump closer to the ramp) then it will trigger a double jump and send you easily high enough to air-control around and get up to the sg balcony bit (the low one opposite the big window). the fact that your 2nd jump is off a ramp in this case is not the point, it's simply the fact that you are jumping within a certain time of the 1st jump that is triggering the double jump (although in this particular case you are also trimping, trimps and double jumps can both be done independantly...). anyway, this jump is obviously a v handy jump for defenders as well as offy.

a harder one using the exact same principle as the first: do the exact same thing but do your 2nd jump off the curved ramp that leads up to the semi-circular bit where the flag is, and try to double jump and air-control to get up to the left end of the high balcony in the fr. you need to do a decent fast strafe jump for this on your first jump to get enough height on the 2nd jump.

a fairly simple one that doesn't use a ramp (hence a "pure" double jump with no trimping, thought this might be useful for some ppl on these forums to go try out): run under the security bridge, and jump so that you bang your head on the underside of the bridge and then land on the first step with jump held so you instantly jump again. it's a bit fiddly to find the exact right place to jump so you do that, but if you do it right you will trigger a double jump and can air-control around to land right on the button. pretty useful tbh, and this is the same principle as the pyro thing this thread was supposed to be about..

a fcking hard one that doesn't use a ramp: start at the cap point, and run towards the boxes by security. time it so that you: do a nice fast strafe jump from the floor, then air-control so that you land at the top of the diagonal trim at the bottom of the wall on your left (and have jump help so that you instantly jump again), then air-control so that you land exactly on the metal rim of the box (and have jump held so that you jump again). if you get it right you will do a double jump off the box edge, and land at the button.

Last edited by caesium; 03-27-2008 at 05:28 PM.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #20
Player
D&A Member

I still stand by my opinion that double jumping does not work as well as it should when low ceilings (like your ff_aardvark example) are ruled out.

Quote:
Lol...and in what game does jumping from one ledge to a higher one do anything special at all?
Right, tell me where I said that, please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
find a ledge, jump from the lower surface up to the higher surface with a second jump queued