Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Tips and Tutorials

Old 09-18-2007, 10:46 PM   #21
cheese1085

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Is it possible to get out of cloak mode, but still remain disguised (if you are disguised as an enemy player)?
cheese1085 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 12:09 AM   #22
Jacob3212000

yea you can. i do it all the time i'll be cloaked in some spot. then when no one's looking i'll uncloak as the enemy and act like them i'll usually follow one and backstab him. its real fun to do that on the snowy map i forget what it was called. it had alot of ramps and two sniper points in the middle where they shot at each other.

but yea what i would do is disguise as a sniper and when another sniper comes to shoot beside i'll stab him in the back and go back to "sniping" again. that's fun.

And this is pretty obvious but i've figured out the best way to rack up kills with the spy is to sabotage like a whole bunch of turrets in the enemies base. yea i'm not very good at tranq gun so.
Jacob3212000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #23
Phantom Spiker

i am finding it harder to sabotage turrets now :/...engies are paranoid little buggers
Phantom Spiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 03:27 PM   #24
Riff Zifnab
-TPF-

Another important part of being a spy is knowing when not to be one. Some times the engies will get all paranoid and you'll be out of a job. Go HWG for a bit and lull them into a sense of security, then go sab. them back into the stone age. Remember its a team game, so if all your doing is sitting in their base pinned down you might be more useful as someone else.
Riff Zifnab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 09:21 PM   #25
TwoTired
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff Zifnab
Another important part of being a spy is knowing when not to be one. Some times the engies will get all paranoid and you'll be out of a job. Go HWG for a bit and lull them into a sense of security, then go sab. them back into the stone age. Remember its a team game, so if all your doing is sitting in their base pinned down you might be more useful as someone else.
Who said you have to attack the enemy base anyway?

Out of a job for an offensive spy?

Switch to midfield PITA or defensive asshat.

:P.
TwoTired is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 09:49 PM   #26
GotSniperorTurretProblems
i'm coming for you

Class/Position: whichever allows me to kill more sentries and snipers
Gametype: killing sentries and snipers
Affiliations: You're Fucked Inc.
I HATE defensive Spies, and there are a lot of them now. The little fuckers cloak in corners and wait for people. But I do agree with whoever said sometimes you just can't Spy. That is SO true, and it makes me mad. Especially when the people who are constantly paranoid and have 2 HW's constantly watching them talk shit and call you a bad Spy.
GotSniperorTurretProblems is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 10:21 PM   #27
Phantom Spiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff Zifnab

that is the problem though...it doesn't matter, engies will shoot every1 they see
Phantom Spiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 06:36 PM   #28
psycos1s

Well look my friend and i are defense players so i will tell you right now yes any good defense player will require anyone in flag room to fire their weapon or get shot. but when we play spy (me) and he goes pyro he causes alot of chaos and i slip in sometimes a spy is better for recon because i can stay cloaked kill the engy/hw and/or tell him where sg is to be destroyed and whatnot spy is not a solo class by any means if you want to be truly effective in offense you need backup and your purpose is to help break down the defense. spy isnt what alot of people think the spy cant run in and kill everyone without getting caught unless said people really suck. all spies will be caught and thats another thing you have to get used to they will catch you and they will kill you so you just try again so yeah take backup it helps a shitton

~Psycos1s
psycos1s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 06:44 PM   #29
Riff Zifnab
-TPF-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Spiker
that is the problem though...it doesn't matter, engies will shoot every1 they see
Try and shrug it off, act like your not worried about it. Some times they will just shoot you once or twice.

Re: Psycos1s
Deffinetly, just make sure that your not invis when your going SG spotting. (: A new spy tried helping me out (I was a HWG) once like that from the attic on Well. Poor guy didn't last long. But yeah, working with your team = the win. Go sab all the SGs you can and let your team know when they are going down. We have voice com, might as well use it.

Does crouching when you fall increase the distance you can go before you lose your cloak or is it just speed based? Man I hate that.
/me shakes his fist at the roof of Well.
Riff Zifnab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 08:56 PM   #30
NoComply

A lot of times if I'm in disguise, I try to ignore any shots fired at me if I can't get away without dieing. Seriously, just stare at someone without moving, and switch between weapons or act like you are adjusting where you are going to put your sg or something. If they aren't paying attention then, you can sneak away cause they've got bigger problems.

In ardvark, bhop till you can reach the water and use items for cover from snipers, jump into the water and cloak, those snipers will think you died and sneak into the base, run around the loop to the water to avoid getting blasted by someone and sneak into the base.

Keep a look out for sg's, they are often perched far away and you can easily take it out with your nail gun before the engy even knows it's gone. You may not even raise alert to your location, then you can move on to fun spy stuff.

When you are sneaking around, try and do stuff you won't get caught by anyone first, like in shutdown, don't always go for the flag first, go to the flag room and sabatage the sg's ahead of time so that when you go into the flag room, everyones dead and by the time they get back you are running out of the base with the flag.
NoComply is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2007, 05:40 PM   #31
lollerskates

- What are the exact mechanics of a backstab? Does it only work 100% when you're disguised as the enemy? I've been having some problems killing people.

- If I sabotage a sentry gun, can I wait for the engineer to upgrade it or will he somehow notice the sabotage?
lollerskates is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 11:43 AM   #32
TwoTired
Lurker

1. Exact backstabs don't require anything otherwise than landing a stab RIGHT ON THE BACK - if it's a bit "too tilted" to the side, you'll instead get a side stab, or rather a regular damage knife attack.

But if you mean "HAO I STEEL DISGUIZE?!" then in order to steal a disguise using a backstab, the conditions are as follows :

A. You must be disguised (whether friendly or enemy).
B. You land a backstab.

Whee!

2. Yes, you can wait for the engineer to upgrade his SG - he can't know if it's sabotaged or not.

I do it all the time, a l3 SG attacking is better than a L1 SG.
TwoTired is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 02:20 PM   #33
Andariel
Setting up an sentry gun

about the t not be spy can be tricky also, im used to get caught every now and then, but on the other hand i cause so much paranoia the enemy keep shooting each other all the time, even the flag carrier got killed a few times in the last match, the spys greatest weapon is the paranoia he causes, such a delicious chaos

the best on that occasion i had till today was an hwg mowing down some of his teamies and asking for healing which ended up in me walking away as hwg (after that i saw some medics mowed down while i camped the flag, why shooting an soldier facing from where the enemy comes)
Andariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #34
lollerskates

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTired
1. Exact backstabs don't require anything otherwise than landing a stab RIGHT ON THE BACK - if it's a bit "too tilted" to the side, you'll instead get a side stab, or rather a regular damage knife attack.
Last time I played I was exactly behind and as close as I could get to an engineer who was standing still, but I still didn't land a backstab. I think backstabs should require slightly less precision.

Quote:
2. Yes, you can wait for the engineer to upgrade his SG - he can't know if it's sabotaged or not.

I do it all the time, a l3 SG attacking is better than a L1 SG.
Great.
lollerskates is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 11:58 PM   #35
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollerskates
Last time I played I was exactly behind and as close as I could get to an engineer who was standing still, but I still didn't land a backstab. I think backstabs should require slightly less precision.

Great.
the reason they are small is becuase in TFC, the hitboxes for backstabs were huge and strangly placed. you could be the side of someone, with them seeing you, and kill them instantly, i like the new hitbox better
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2007, 10:18 PM   #36
AfterShock
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 45 Times
The best way to sabotage SG: cloak, disguise, run up to SG (staying out of sight. uncloak, sabotage

E.G. on monkey, great way to do it:

- Go water, cloak before exitting water
- Stay in water area waiting for engi to go resup
- When engi resups, uncloak, run up ladder, sabotage,
- Whole FR dies, you cap flag

AfterShock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2007, 09:03 AM   #37
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

Class/Position: Scout, Spy, Sniper
Gametype: CTF
Or the defense kills the SG for you (either because you are hiding behind it or because they think you already sabotaged it)
v3rtigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2007, 07:31 PM   #38
Grau

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterShock
The best way to sabotage SG: cloak, disguise, run up to SG (staying out of sight. uncloak, sabotage

E.G. on monkey, great way to do it:

- Go water, cloak before exitting water
- Stay in water area waiting for engi to go resup
- When engi resups, uncloak, run up ladder, sabotage,
- Whole FR dies, you cap flag

That won't work though. The SG will blow you away while cloaked even if you are disguised.
Grau is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #39
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Which is why you uncloak before sabotaging, sir.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:36 PM   #40
Grau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Which is why you uncloak before sabotaging, sir.
That's not the way he said it though.
Grau is offline   Reply With Quote