Old 08-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #1
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Computer Building Help

So my currently computer is reaching the end of it's days and I need to start building myself a new rig. While I have experience with hardware, I've never build my own computer and have no idea where to start.

Can only give a good site or something for recommendations?

Would you recommend a 32 or 64 bit system? I've been told that WIN XP's 64 bit port sucks.
2 CPU or dual core?
Will any of my current hardware (dvd drives/ HDDs) be compatible?
How do you chose a good MoBo?

Thanks a ton!

Old 08-11-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
SizeableSSonic
Joystick Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Engineer or Sniper
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to SizeableSSonic Send a message via MSN to SizeableSSonic
Well, your drives SHOULD be compatible. Also, another tip: try snooping around a few places when snooping for parts, you can probably find the part you need for a good price if you search around long enough. Definetly go duel core, it's been doing wonders for me over here.

Also, big suggestion: throw the other crap you have been hearing about Vista out the window (no pun intended). Most of the people who are saying that are people who are doing it just to follow the crowd. The OS works like a charm, and I cant tell you this because, unlike most other people, I am actually using it and the two new updates they recently released fixes most of the memory and performance issues, and pretty much completely fixes all of the compatibility issues. Definatly go Vista. As for the 64 bit version, I am using the 32 bit here, so I can't really say anything on that, other than that it was built for the ground up for 64 bit, so Vistas 64 bit would probably be better than XP's 64 bit version.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
Zydell
Ex-king
D&A Member

Affiliations: Knights of the Round
Send a message via MSN to Zydell Send a message via Skype™ to Zydell
I'm probably gonna build a new rig for myself also in the near future so I'll share what I've found out so far...

Here's a (dutch) website with some OK systems; especially check out 'High-end gamesysteem' (you can figure out what that means :P) and maybe workstation (but it's focussing on 2d designers so the videocard is crap and the monitor is overkill).

So anyways; I think it's pretty stupid to buy a 32bit system because as far as I know 32bit software runs on 64bit rigs also (not as fast as 64bit software though). It's a big leap forward and in the near future I think more and more software will be 64bit (only). I do believe that you require Windows Vista so make optimal use of 64bit processors and in my opinion you shouldn't run that without 2gb of memory, for 4gb of memory you again need Windows Vista because XP can only address 3.5 or something.

Personally I would go for the Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 2 CPU's will require a dual cpu board which will limit your choices and expand your budget for no really good reason I think (unless you think that you will benifit alot from multiple CPU's).

Personally I would buy a SATA DVDRW and 2 HDDs running in the new Intel Matrix blabla RAID. I was told basically that with this Intel Matrix Techn. you can combine the 2 HD's; make 1 RAID0 and 1 RAID1 partition; it means you would have 1 'fast' partition (for installing windows, programs, games, etc. that need fast reading) and 1 'backup' partition (for data, duh).

Of course many choices depend on what you need. I would be tempted to buy 4GB of ram and am also considering 24/30" monitor because I do graphic design and run many programs simultaneously.

For the Mobo, basically try to find out what you need/want (in the future), I would go for P35-chipset because of future support for new technology.

Also check out articles/reviews on Anandtech/Toms hardware, they're pretty good (allthough may be going into too much details).

BTW this is just what I think, don't consider it too much of an expert opinion...
Zydell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
The biggest issue with XP 64 has been, and always will be, driver support. XP64 was a nice idea just way to late in XP's product lifecycle to receive widespread vendor support in writing drivers.

If your drives are more than a year or so old and NOT SATA then do not consider them as having a permanent home in your new system.

As far as builds go I have been through a great many manufacturers as motherboards go. The one manufacturer that has been solid consistently for me has been ASUS. With regard to CPU's you've described nothing that suggests that your use warrants multiple CPU's. I would certainly go with dual core and I would be looking at Intel and not AMD. There's an interesting article in a recent PCWorld that talks about how AMD has been playing catchup for the last year and whether or not they will remains to be seen.

One other thing. You didn't ask but I would not get too gung ho on 800 mhz DDR2. Everything I am reading suggests that stability issues are a concern with this new edge of the desktop memory frontier.

There you go. My .02 adjusted for inflation.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
SomeOldGuy
older than dirt

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
One thing that might help is if you list your current HDD's, CD/DVD drive(s).

Are you looking for a "how-to build" as well as recommended parts, or ... ?

And finally, what price range are you going for???
SomeOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
Zydell
Ex-king
D&A Member

Affiliations: Knights of the Round
Send a message via MSN to Zydell Send a message via Skype™ to Zydell
And also tell us what specifically you want to do with your system (I can only assume playing games).
Zydell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2007, 05:40 AM   #7
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Since I'm a coder, I need a computer that can easily (and quickly) compile code. I would like to have the ability to dual boot to Linux (this shouldn't be a problem with any system). I know that I would like plenty of ram and a nice video card since I'm a huge multi-tasker and use a dual headed display. Gaming and graphic editing is also important. Video editing would also be nice to have... but not at all important.

I've been told that the problem with 64 bit is that it cannot emulate anything under 32 bit making compatibility an issue when it come to older software and games.

As for price... I plan on building up. So while I don't want price to be a problem... I don't want to be dropping too much into it. I really don't know how much a good system would cost me.

Thanks again!

Old 08-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #8
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
If we are just talking the tower you could probably build that rig for $1,500<. That is a rough estimate without going into specifics, of course.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote