Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 08-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
qwertyuiop
Voted #1 FF Forum Member
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Bethesda releases Daggerfall for download

After not checking the elder scrolls site in quite a while, I came back to find that Daggerfall has been released for free download just as they did with Arena, along with instructions on how to get it working with dosbox.

Daggerfall is arguably the best elder scrolls game. I enjoy Morrowind more, but Daggerfall is an excellent game. It's nice to play it again, I had stopped after getting my new computer as I didn't want to torrent it again, but now I don't have to.
qwertyuiop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I remember when daggerfall first came out. What was it, 1997 or 1998? Somewhere in there.

PC Gamer magazine wrote up a good review of daggerfall. If you bought the magazine that included the CD, a demo was included. The install file was around 100 megs. I bought the CD version of the magazine just so I did not have download 100 megs on dialup. If I remember right, the demo was 300 - 400 megs after it was installed. Which was huge for back then, a demo of that size was unheard of. Entire games at the time might have been 200 - 300 megs. So just the demo of daggerfall was larger then most of the games on the market at the time.

The actual playing area was supposed to be the size of England.

The one major draw back to daggerfall, there was no multi-player support. This could have been the first MMORPG. But the developers decided not to include a multiplayer side and dropped the ball in the process.

Last edited by ~kev~; 08-10-2009 at 02:41 PM.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
The one major draw back to daggerfall, there was no multi-player support. This could have been the first MMORPG. But the developers decided not to include a multiplayer side and dropped the ball in the process.
UO came out in 1997, and there were a few MMO's before that. Otherwise, yes, they probably should have put Multiplayer in, as they should have with Morrowind and Oblivion.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
qwertyuiop
Voted #1 FF Forum Member
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Daggerfall was released in 1996 I believe. I don't think online play should have been a part of it, I don't know how it could have been adequately incorporated into the game.
qwertyuiop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiop View Post
Daggerfall was released in 1996 I believe. I don't think online play should have been a part of it, I don't know how it could have been adequately incorporated into the game.
Yea, I looked it up on wikipedia after I made my post. I was going off of memory when I posted that.

The thing is, the internet did not really catch on until after the release of windows 95 - because it had built in TCP/IP support. Windows 3.11 did not have networking built in, but windows 3.11 for workgroups did.

When Daggerfall was released, the internet was just being born. So the idea of adding multiplayer support was probably frowned upon. Not too many people at that time knew that the internet would grow into what it is today. People dont like change, and adding TCP/IP support to a game at that time was almost unheard of. Even Doom did not have TCP/IP support. ID software did not add that until Quake. Even then the networking code was buggy and caused a lot of lag.

I can not say the daggerfall developers should have added networking support, because it was rare at the time. But I can look back 14 years later and say "guys, yall were on the edge of a gaming revolution and did not even know it."

Last edited by ~kev~; 08-10-2009 at 09:59 PM.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:14 AM   #6
YomMamasHouse

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
I can't imagine a multiplayer ever being possible given the way elder scrolls games handle resting. Certainly would suck to wait even 8 game hours while you slept and others continued to play.

Last edited by YomMamasHouse; 08-11-2009 at 04:15 AM.
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Quote:
Yea, I looked it up on wikipedia after I made my post. I was going off of memory when I posted that.

The thing is, the internet did not really catch on until after the release of windows 95 - because it had built in TCP/IP support. Windows 3.11 did not have networking built in, but windows 3.11 for workgroups did.

When Daggerfall was released, the internet was just being born. So the idea of adding multiplayer support was probably frowned upon. Not too many people at that time knew that the internet would grow into what it is today. People dont like change, and adding TCP/IP support to a game at that time was almost unheard of. Even Doom did not have TCP/IP support. ID software did not add that until Quake. Even then the networking code was buggy and caused a lot of lag.

I can not say the daggerfall developers should have added networking support, because it was rare at the time. But I can look back 14 years later and say "guys, yall were on the edge of a gaming revolution and did not even know it."
Since we are feeling all nostalgic and shit... Even if it did support multiplay most games at that time only supported IPX anyway.

As that is a non-routable protocol you could play games like Duke Nukem or Red Alert on a lan but not on the internet. Unless you had a plugin like heat.net or some shit. Heat died a long time ago so don't go to that site. Take a ride on the wayback machine...

Another was kali.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #8
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YomMamasHouse View Post
I can't imagine a multiplayer ever being possible given the way elder scrolls games handle resting. Certainly would suck to wait even 8 game hours while you slept and others continued to play.
But that is the real world. When your sleeping the rest of the world is still moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray kitten View Post
Since we are feeling all nostalgic and shit... Even if it did support multiplay most games at that time only supported IPX anyway.

As that is a non-routable protocol you could play games like Duke Nukem or Red Alert on a lan but not on the internet.

Another was kali.
Sure you can route IPX/SPX, here is an article on how to configure cisco routes to do it - http://www.pulsewan.com/data101/ipx_routing_basics.htm

Not being able to route IPX/SPX is a myth. Its a fully routable protocol and has be so for years.

When the internet was starting to go main stream, IPX/SPX almost won over TCP/IP as the primary protocol. But for some reason, TCP/IP won the vote.

People might think that IPX is not routable because internet service providers to not support it. But yes, you can route IPX.

Quote:
Cisco's implementation of Novell's IPX protocol provides all of the functionality of a Novell "External Bridge" (Novell refers to their router functionality as bridging). As a Novell External Bridge, a Cisco router connects Ethernets and Token Rings,
Quote:
To enable or disable Novell routing, use the novell routing global configuration command. The full command syntax of this command follows.
novell routing [host-address] no novell routing
Kali - that is a name I have not heard in a long, long time.

Last edited by ~kev~; 08-11-2009 at 03:39 PM.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Hahah yeah... I played D3D on Kali for a while, was pretty cool.

Anyone remember the custom map Mansion or something like that? With a fountain in the middle, and you had rooms all around. One was a cinema, in another one there was a table with food on it, and there was a bathroom of course... god that map was awesome for 1v1 DM.

Last edited by Sh4x; 08-11-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Damn, Heat was forever ago wasn't it? I installed an old game recently that was advertising it, I just found it annoying, lol. Viva la WON.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Quote:
Sure you can route IPX/SPX, here is an article on how to configure cisco routes to do it - http://www.pulsewan.com/data101/ipx_routing_basics.htm

Not being able to route IPX/SPX is a myth. Its a fully routable protocol and has be so for years.

When the internet was starting to go main stream, IPX/SPX almost won over TCP/IP as the primary protocol. But for some reason, TCP/IP won the vote.

People might think that IPX is not routable because internet service providers to not support it. But yes, you can route IPX.
It's not myth in the contexct of the internet. It has to be encapsolated that is what Kali and Heat did and what a cisco router does. Basically the cisco router bridges your internal network to the outside world using a Novel implementation of a network bridge. So technically (if you want to go technical) even the Cisco router is NOT routing it, it's bridging it to a tcp network where it is routed. At least the way I understand it.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.

Last edited by stray kitten; 08-12-2009 at 03:23 PM.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #12
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray kitten View Post
It's not myth in the contexct of the internet.
The "internet" is just a bunch of copper wires and fiber optic cables. Its no different then your home network, just on a larger scale.

Most internet service providers do not support ipx/spx. That is the only reason there is this myth that ipx/spx can not be routed.

ipx/spx has to be encapsulated so that your ISP will route the packet. If all of the internet providers adopted ipx/spx as a secondary supported protocol, it would be no problem to route ipx.

Last edited by ~kev~; 08-18-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #13
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
When Daggerfall was released, the internet was just being born.
you mean the web? Tim Berners-Lee is most displeased at you!
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote