Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 08-18-2005, 09:47 PM   #121
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Bump RAM definitely.

Vid card...if you can get a good and cheap upgrade by the swap around...go for it!

Edit: I am playing on a Barton Core 2800+, 1 GB PC2700 (333 MHz), Radeon 9700 Pro on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe (Nforce2)....so our systems are similar. I play at 1024 x 768 at high detail level and it plays fine....just wish I could get my joystick tweaked for use with the Jet. Heli with KB/Mouse I have down pat.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2005, 10:11 PM   #122
o_salty milkshake

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
I am playing on a Barton Core 2800+, 1 GB PC2700 (333 MHz), Radeon 9700 Pro on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe (Nforce2)....so our systems are similar. I play at 1024 x 768 at high detail level and it plays fine
You sure? with that spec, must be like watching a slide show
o_salty milkshake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2005, 10:31 PM   #123
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

I play it nightly and it's very smooth. I will say that before the Nforce2 drivers that Nvidia released a few months ago I had it at lower settings to keep it smooth. Since then I am at high detail and it runs very nicely. But then all I do is game on this machine...no web browsing or anything else at all so there's no issues with spyware/malware or any of the other things that steal system resources when you're trying to game.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:12 PM   #124
o_broodingdude

Wow... you guys are getting HIGH detail???

I am running AMD Athlon64 3000+(socket939), 512mb 400mhz RAM, geforce6600gt (PCI Express!) and all that crap...

I can barely get it to go good at 800x600 at LOW!

.......WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING WRONG!?
o_broodingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2005, 11:21 PM   #125
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by broodingdude

I am running AMD Athlon64 3000+(socket939), 512mb 400mhz RAM, geforce6600gt (PCI Express!) and all that crap...

Well, for starters the lower amount of RAM is a good place to look. Also, if you read my post above again you'll note that it wasn't until the last few months that Nvidia really got the lead out with their drivers. Just a WAG places Hard Drive throughput at 500% faster alone. Also, what are you using for sound? BF1942 and BF2 are notorious for issues with sound and certain onboard sound steals significant system resources. Also, are your temperatures stable and good for the CPU and GPU? I seem to recall something with Nvidia video cards with the coolers and/or driver set making the GPU overheat.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:41 PM   #126
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Yeah, with those specs you should be able to turn BF2 to high settings at 124x768, though only having 512MB of ram will lead to some serious stuttering on the larger maps.

My specs:

Athlon 64 3500+
ATI x800XL (PCI Exp)
2 Gigs of DDR400

I run BF2 at 1024x768 w/ Medium Ani and 2x AA
All other settings are maxed.

I'm not sure exactly what fps I get, but it's smooth; I could probably increase my settings if I felt like it.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2005, 12:17 AM   #127
o_broodingdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
Quote:
Originally Posted by broodingdude

Well, for starters the lower amount of RAM is a good place to look. Also, if you read my post above again you'll note that it wasn't until the last few months that Nvidia really got the lead out with their drivers. Just a WAG places Hard Drive throughput at 500% faster alone. Also, what are you using for sound? BF1942 and BF2 are notorious for issues with sound and certain onboard sound steals significant system resources. Also, are your temperatures stable and good for the CPU and GPU? I seem to recall something with Nvidia video cards with the coolers and/or driver set making the GPU overheat.
More RAM huh?

My temps run stable all night and all day. The cooling scheme I got is very dynamic so I don't have overheating problems. I use this onboard sound thing. It's like a 6-channel conglomerated thing-a-mabob. I am by no means an audiophile, as long as it doesn't sound like a Peavey Guitar Amp.

Okay... so boot the onboard sound, and double the ram. :P....

Old 08-19-2005, 12:40 AM   #128
o_nezumi

Knifing! Who here likes knifing? I've got my Veteran knife badge now. Every time I see someone running through the grass with their back to me, I HAVE to stab them. I can't help it now. I'm addicted. I love going to Sharqi peninsula, running in the big building and knifing everyone up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles just
My specs:

Athlon 64 3500+
ATI x800XL (PCI Exp)
2 Gigs of DDR400
Wow Jiggles! Me and you can be Athlon 64 3500+ ATI x800 buddies!
I only have a gig of ram though.

I run everything at high, and draw distance at max. I keep Anisotropic filtering on sorta low 'cause I can't notice the difference, and anti-aliasing on 2x because if it's any higher it lags the shit out of my compy when the map first loads, for some reason.

Oh, and if anyone plans on mapping for Battlefield, make sure you have more than a gig of ram. The editor has devoured all of my ram on more than one occasion. :|
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2005, 12:46 AM   #129
o_tennovan

Ignore Post.
o_tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2005, 12:51 AM   #130
o_broodingdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennovan
Where do I go looking for mobo drivers? nVIDIA or Shuttle? Shuttles page isn't that easy to understand really. Not to mention I have the SN45Gv2 and they only offer drivers for SN45G and the SN45Gv3 yeah so I'm confused.
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

No "OMG GOOGLE n00B!" this time for you.

Yeah, the nforce2 drivers should do it for you. They are pretty much universal.

Old 08-19-2005, 12:53 AM   #131
o_tennovan

hahaha right as I edited my post you posted that. So yeah, i found em without your help SO BOOYAH. Yeah I dunno, just go with it.

Thanks though.

EDIT: Weird, I run the exe and it starts the setup and then just stops. Disappears, acts like nothing happened.

Old 08-19-2005, 01:10 AM   #132
o_vampiricus

Quote:
hahaha right as I edited my post you posted that. So yeah, i found em without your help SO BOOYAH. Yeah I dunno, just go with it.

Thanks though.

EDIT: Weird, I run the exe and it starts the setup and then just stops. Disappears, acts like nothing happened.
and you wonder what trojan was just installed on your system, muahahahahhaaha!!
o_vampiricus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2005, 03:42 AM   #133
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:

Thanks though.

Have you tried COOLWEBSEARCH yet? (kidding!)

Old 08-19-2005, 03:55 AM   #134
o_osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
My specs:

Athlon 64 3500+
ATI x800XL (PCI Exp)
2 Gigs of DDR400

I run BF2 at 1024x768 w/ Medium Ani and 2x AA
All other settings are maxed.

I'm not sure exactly what fps I get, but it's smooth; I could probably increase my settings if I felt like it.
Mine:
Athlon 64 3200+
ATI X800XL (PCI-E)
2x512mb PC3200 Ram (Dual Channel)

I run BF2 at 1280x960@70hz with every setting at max, and 2xAA. Turn up your settings you cunt.
o_osiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2005, 09:12 AM   #135
o_tennovan

Bought it today. Played for a bit and its pretty good so far. Even with my computer as it is, it runs really smooth. I think the only time its really jerky is right as I connect. I suck though.

I played for about an hour and half and finally decided enough was enough when i knifed my teammate. Beat that.

Old 08-19-2005, 09:29 AM   #136
o_nezumi

Just so everyone knows, battlefield is only 1/37th as much fun if you're not playing with someone else in the room. (So, as much fun as you're having alone, multiply it by 37. Battlefield is a good game )

Keep this in mind. Maybe we should organise a FF-board lan party. But where? To answer this, figure out how to do a least mean square distance curve fit over a sphere. Then party on the curve, bitches.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2005, 02:25 PM   #137
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
agh! i really want to put mines to good use, but theyre too suseptible to TKs.... i was sitting out the back of a chopper just now repairing when necessary and throwing AT mines out the back upon capping a point... except the pilot decided he was gonna lose control, flew backwards and crashed into my mine, which detonated, blew the chopper up, killing all the crew members (my squad), and i consequently got banned for TKing....

the common situation is where you mine a bridge to buggery in advance of a convoy, except some self proclaimed leetboy spec ops in a jeep drives off over the bridge towards the enemy base for the artillery or whatever.. you blow him up with the bridge to kingdom come, despite the BIG RED SKULL AND CROSSBONES GLYPHS over each AT mine, and yet he punishes you for the TK :/

i really do wish mines and claymores made team members suicide kill, just for the shear stupidity on their part
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2005, 02:29 PM   #138
o_salty milkshake

yeah a lot of people are hoping they're gonna sort that issue out with the next patch cause it is annoying.

I tend not to use mines at all just because of the number of TK's you get.
o_salty milkshake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2005, 03:02 PM   #139
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
if it wasnt for the fucktards that dont understand mines....

....yes these things are things that fucking hurt when you drive over them, they go boom, you die etc

aircraft shouldnt be affected by anti tank mines anyway... hell even jeeps and stuff are debatable depending what mines they actually are meant to be.

as for claymore mines.. they should have a bit more setting up to them. if im not mistaken, theyre triggered by means of a trip wire, as opposed to proximity. they also have a range of about 75m, which is significantly reduced in BF2
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2005, 03:36 PM   #140
o_ginger lord

Claymores do remote detonate, trip wires and proximity.
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote