Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Tips and Tutorials

Old 09-20-2007, 06:00 AM   #1
Pincus

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via MSN to Pincus
BHopping like Q1 + CVar?

Hey guys,
I've played the mod and I enjoy it so far, but there are a few things which kinda confuse me. I searched, and all I could find were six month old threads...

What's up with air strafing? Is it just me or do you not gain speed from air strafing? You can turn around while going fast just fine, but I seems like I don't gain any speed. But in Q1 it's very obvious.

Is there a cvar for a speed meter (like the speed meter in qw/cpm), cl_showspeed doesn't quite cut it, as I cannot tell exactly what my horizontal-axis speed is (I think).

And is there a cvar for removing the speed limit? I've got a conc map I downloaded, and it would be more fun to be able to keep that speed. I find that if I am going at 1000 ups, as soon as I land and jump (holding +jump while in the air) that my vel goes to about 750, then 600, then 450 etc.

My only complaint would be the loading times for the maps. It takes about four minutes for some maps! (but it's worth it )

Thanks!
Pincus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 06:11 AM   #2
tu!

they should utilize the long load times with some good short educational videos showing how to hh/rj/air control/turning in midair/bhop/etc for newbs. at the very least this will atleast make em aware of the possibilities available in tf and maybe they might try this stuff and like it too!

***edit*** can videos be played during the load screen even?
tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 06:21 AM   #3
Doompiggy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tu!
***edit*** can videos be played during the load screen even?
In theory they could, but it would make load times longer
Doompiggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 06:47 AM   #4
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
There is not, nor will there be, as decided by the devs, a server variable for a bhop cap. Sorry :/

As for Conc maps, it MAY be possible to code something in LUA that could change this, but I have no knowledge of LUA, so I cannot help you there.

Strafing still gets you speed [its obvious if you try playing with 0 gravity and just strafing to move], but the way the speed cap is made you wouldnt be able to keep move of that speed after a few connections with the ground.
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
rebo

In TFC you have a very abrupt limit, jump past 170% the classes base speed and you immediately slow down to 109% of the class base speed. This is quite frustrating as you keep slowing just as you get a decent ryhthm. Also it means front door spam is greatly increased as its much harder to bounce past the front defenders. In when bhop was uncapped you could speed up generally from a standing start without limit. This alienated a lot of players and created a huge divide between new players and people who knew how to bunnyhop.

What FF does is give an elastic limit, it lets you keep some speed when you land after a conc for instance. This enables jumping thru front door areas at speed and lowers overall front door and midfield spam, something that was great about the old unlimited bunnyhopping. Conversely it prevents hwg's from speeding up from a standing start and bouncing around A/Cing like crazy uber scouts.

I think the balance is good & sensible.
rebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
FragBait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincus
Hey guys,
Is there a cvar for a speed meter (like the speed meter in qw/cpm), cl_showspeed doesn't quite cut it, as I cannot tell exactly what my horizontal-axis speed is (I think).
The only cvar i know of is hud_speedometer. Not sure if it's quite what you wanted.
FragBait is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #7
Pyr0
Can you feel the heat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Eye
As for Conc maps, it MAY be possible to code something in LUA that could change this, but I have no knowledge of LUA, so I cannot help you there.
Something I learned from coding LUA weapons in Garry's Mod:

If you can think of it, LUA can make it!
Pyr0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #8
punkrockrocks
When patch will out?

yeah, there is a little hud_speedometer or something like that that shows what speed you're moving at.
punkrockrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2007, 12:27 AM   #9
Pincus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragBait
The only cvar i know of is hud_speedometer. Not sure if it's quite what you wanted.
Yeah that worked. It was exactly what I wanted. Thanks

Bunnyhopping seems almost pointless in FF UNLESS you gain speed of ramps. I've noticed that you start to lose speed as soon as you go over the players sprint speed. I find if I stay on the ground and kinda ground strafe or whatever, I go faster than bunnyhopping. It's really annoying. I was thinking it would be great if the two jumps after a double jump would be frictionless (no speed lost at all), so you can actually do something.

Obviously the grenades makes all of the little double jumping and stuff movement pointless.

I'll search for some LUA things here. I know some programming, and apparently LUA is really loose :\

Althought I can already see myself failing

Old 09-21-2007, 12:57 AM   #10
Doompiggy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyr0
Something I learned from coding LUA weapons in Garry's Mod:

If you can think of it, LUA can make it!
If you have coded something release worthy, you would know that lua isnt in caps...
Doompiggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2007, 04:39 PM   #11
dan_g

Send a message via ICQ to dan_g
i would also appreciate to gain more speed as i postet here.

so that we can have extra speed maps to bhop in.

greetz

dan_g
dan_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #12
Zatoichi

wow im glad this was brought up..i used the speedometer cause i play scout alot and it felt like i was going slow..turns out my max forward speed was changed to 300 somehow!!!no wonder i was getting owned :X
Zatoichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #13
Jixe

Quote:
There is not, nor will there be, as decided by the devs, a server variable for a bhop cap. Sorry :/
Why is this?

If a large/meduim majority want features that a handful of devs already decided against and then the devs still outright refuse then thats imo a BIG problem.
Jixe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 04:11 AM   #14
Pincus

Yeah. If the problem is having heavys and other classes nade jump, and continue that forever, then why not write pure frictionless no speed limit for the scout and medic class only? Or at least for the scout class.

I would like to know if this has already been done, but removed for whatever reason while the game was being made.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:38 AM   #15
Rojola

Gaining speed from aircontrol would be cool. Now defenders have to either sacrifice their health to get into position with rocket jump etc or get in there slowly

I have a feeling that the battle for the new players is bit useless as the new players will go for TF2 and those who come for FF are probably looking for some extra effort and complicity anyway so gaining speed from aircontrol would propably not scare them away. Especially if bunnyhopping would be tutorialized.

Of course there will be the group who don't like to gain speed from aircontrol but still want to play FF. How big is this group vs. those who want to gain speed from aircontrol is the question I think. I have no idea about the volumes but does someone from devs know based on feedback or something?
Rojola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 04:50 PM   #16
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixe
Why is this?

If a large/meduim majority want features that a handful of devs already decided against and then the devs still outright refuse then thats imo a BIG problem.
Your large majority is a small percentage of the players in the game. It was found early on to be detrimental for a hundred different servers to have different bhopping values. You may try to play on one with it set to 250% while another may have it at 100%. If you can't understand why this would put new players off, then you won't understand why it's hard coded and unchangeable.

Again, maps may be able to be programmed through Lua on a map by map basis, but in general, there will be no bhop svar.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 06:04 PM   #17
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Lost beat me to it.
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 10:24 AM   #18
rannibunny
You are a pirate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Your large majority is a small percentage of the players in the game. It was found early on to be detrimental for a hundred different servers to have different bhopping values. You may try to play on one with it set to 250% while another may have it at 100%. If you can't understand why this would put new players off, then you won't understand why it's hard coded and unchangeable.

Again, maps may be able to be programmed through Lua on a map by map basis, but in general, there will be no bhop svar.
Clanserver4u.de messed with things they shouldn't be messing with and implemented a Bunnyhop Cap on their server.
Can you prevent them from doing so or add the possibility, to filter out certain server names?
rannibunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #19
Industrial

wtb steam banned server list next to the favorites - so i can ban all the crap ass servers with bots (I see some with 1 bot already), and "fun" servers that implement their own rules into the game.
Industrial is offline   Reply With Quote