Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #21
o_balls

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
does it matter? I mean, so what if you cant custom some things, its not as if it takes anything away from the game
o_balls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2006, 04:51 PM   #22
o_zaskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls
does it matter? I mean, so what if you cant custom some things, its not as if it takes anything away from the game
Oh?

A games life is greatly extendded by the ability to customize it.
o_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2006, 05:06 PM   #23
o_mescalito

The game isn't even out yet and you want to extend its life allready?
o_mescalito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2006, 05:09 PM   #24
o_zaskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mescalito
The game isn't out yet and you want to extend its life allready?
Have to. If tyhey open it up when they think the game needs some boosted longevity later on then its alwreayd too late cause there is no resivour of mods out there.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:00 PM   #25
o_balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Oh?

A games life is greatly extendded by the ability to customize it.
Errr.. how does changing a player model skin extend a games life? Ive messed around with custom things in tfc before purely because I wanted to see if it benefited me in some way. It didnt, hence why ive gone back to almost default everything
o_balls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2006, 10:27 PM   #26
o_zaskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls
Errr.. how does changing a player model skin extend a games life? Ive messed around with custom things in tfc before purely because I wanted to see if it benefited me in some way. It didnt, hence why ive gone back to almost default everything
Breaths new life into an old game, rember not everyone is a hardcore TFC junkie who will play it for forever regardless of content.

Moddability is what made HL stay alive so long, it is an example on a bigger scale of the effects of modding. For the game its acual mods, but for the mods themselvs its the ability to customize.

It was a dark day when CS 1.5 (or was it 1.4?) came out and banned all custom models.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:28 PM   #27
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Custom models are banned in CS? Since when?

Old 07-08-2006, 11:11 PM   #28
o_zaskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Custom models are banned in CS? Since when?
Atleast in the non source version you cant swap models. Ive gotten errors saying that im not using the default files when you do that.

Old 07-08-2006, 11:26 PM   #29
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
The Customization Community will be sad
We hate limitations in customization
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2006, 11:38 PM   #30
o_zaskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKill----->
The Customization Community will be sad
We hate limitations in customization
Object textures is a given and also map textures.

Problem is there is some textures that show through multiple walls, usually a texture that has transparent spots (like those surf maps that use that texture that shows weapons on it) if someone made player or weapon models usin that it would be like a wall hack.

Also unrestrected player models or weapon models means people can make markers or whatever abive the players normal height so u can see them from over walls, etc.

Old 07-08-2006, 11:49 PM   #31
o_geokill----->

Mmmm I see your point

Old 07-08-2006, 11:51 PM   #32
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Atleast in the non source version you cant swap models. Ive gotten errors saying that im not using the default files when you do that.
Oh, okay. In the Source version you can use all kinds of custom models. Just no w_ or p_ weapon models (which kinda sucks 'cuz then they don't match the super-cool v_ models, which has always bugged me and is the main reason I don't use many customizations these days).

Old 07-09-2006, 12:18 AM   #33
o_tu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alligator
Hmm I have experimented with the source SDK in the past using my knowledge. I came to a point where I was able to lock the customization of a player model. However, after finishing a hack I made, I was easily able to bypass the locking system. I am not saying I have this in mind for this game but I am just stating that there is always a way to bypass anything to ruin a game. I think this is a somewhat bad idea and hope that nothing gets locked in the end. Instead, the team should focus on how to eliminate certain "texture-type" or "w/e" that is making the idea even be thought about. I love the ability to customize my TFC every now and then so I always feel free in the game. As Fooley mentioned, this hasn’t even be talked about in the dev team – just his opinion. I somewhat have to agree with his ideas but like I said, there is always a way to get around the system. I believe that servers/leagues should focus more on this point than the actual team (though it can sadly be bypass as well).
lol a tfc hacker already preparing ff hax...
o_tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2006, 01:01 AM   #34
o_sensai

Quote:
Originally Posted by tu!
lol a tfc hacker already preparing ff hax...
did he ever say he was making FF hacks? no. do not start this crap about someone hacking in TFC, it already got my awesome leakage rant thread locked. alligator was pointing out the fact there are ways around things, and he has personal experience, so what? he never said he was going to hack in FF, so quit assuming. if you want to start this crap up again, take it to the catacombs' cesspool where this crap belongs. i am not wanting to see another thread locked based on pointless non-ff related crap.
o_sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2006, 01:42 AM   #35
o_tu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensai
did he ever say he was making FF hacks? no. do not start this crap about someone hacking in TFC, it already got my awesome leakage rant thread locked. alligator was pointing out the fact there are ways around things, and he has personal experience, so what? he never said he was going to hack in FF, so quit assuming. if you want to start this crap up again, take it to the catacombs' cesspool where this crap belongs. i am not wanting to see another thread locked based on pointless non-ff related crap.
lol he will...anyways i will shutup now.
o_tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2006, 01:47 AM   #36
o_geokill----->

Owned...

But I do agree with Alli
Is there a way to set limits in customizing?

Old 07-09-2006, 01:53 AM   #37
o_lithium

Locking Customization isnt a bad idea , i'd rather have a cheat-free game than a katana for a crowbar. Seriously , there's nothing to argue on this issue , if *custom* models jeopardizes with the safety of the game , i'd rather just see everything locked.
o_lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2006, 03:34 AM   #38
o_sensai

Just had to get the last word in on that huh tu! ? Show me proof he will in a PM, until then Alligator gets the benefit of the doubt.

anyway, locking all customizations is a bad idea. let's think about a possible scenario...

3 party modding for hl2 is good, but not strong yet. lots of modders out there are crossing over into different mods because there is still a lack of people to draw from. and this is not to bash the modders that cross over and do multiple projects, they tend to be very good at what they do. but, this does speak for the lack of people out there to pull from. a mod starting up will always be looking for mappers, coders, modellers, etc. Things like making maps, designing new weapns to customize the game are gateways for people to learn if modding is something they want to pursue. How are the future fortress modders going realize their potential if they aren't given the chance? It has been said many times that the majority of people on the dev team are TFC players themselves and they've be able to create and customize the game (which helped them immensely in the creation of FF).

Making customization illegal would caue the community to be stagnant after a while. It's like telling people they can't create maps - without the rejuvenating spirit of the community and its leaders, the game will lose its appeal. Also, closing everything so they can't be customized will make people want to hack more, because there is a big draw to customization. I think one of the strongest points of TFC was the fact that everything was very customizable (something that I did not find quite so true for CS/DOD), and its a reason why I still play.

I understand concerns about exploits/hacks with customization, but to close off everything from becoming diverse is the worst move you can take. I have full faith in the dev team that they will figure out ways to make it so everything won't be barred from customization.
o_sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2006, 04:06 AM   #39
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

For the record, EVERYTHING won't be closed off. v_models at the least will still be available.

Old 07-09-2006, 04:26 AM   #40
o_geokill----->

Sensai speaks with wisdom once again.
Very well said
Trust me, I know some one who has done the impossible, possible in TFC for customization like for example grenades were lock and he found a way around.

Trust me, people will find ways around