Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Communities, Leagues, Clans and Guilds

Old 05-31-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Trailer
[Caleb]
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Scout, D demo and Engy
Gametype: Attack / Defend
Affiliations: -nZ [LAW] *TG* M|M TRISPIRAL (Back in the TFC days)
Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Thinking about creating a training guild.

There is little that pisses me off more than seeing someone tell a new player how badly they suck, and offer no feedback on how to improve. I learned most of what I know from being in guilds and clans from TFC. So how can anyone get better at a game that offers no training? You can only learn so much from public servers, and most of it is ass backwards anyway.

I'm going to be buying a couple servers soon, and one will be a private locked server for pickups and/or guild member training. It will be a fun guild and the only requirements will be a basic knowledge of the game, the urge to improve your gameplay skills, and the ability to give and/or receive "constructive" criticism. I stress constructive. Shitty attitudes are the only instant denial.

The guild will be called Rage Quit. I'm not going to bother thinking up a creative pretty tag for it yet, not until I get a little feed back and possibly some members. So, would anyone be interested in helping me with this training guild? If not, any "constructive" criticism about my guild idea will be appreciated.

"This game is dead, your guild is pointless" Is not constructive criticism. Could we please keep this thread on a positive note and flame free. Thank you

-Trailer
You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.
Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:15 AM   #2
carryonplease

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I like the name haha. and the idea. "training" is needed for players at multiple skills levels I would say. I'm no noob but I for sure could learn a thing or two.
carryonplease is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2011, 04:50 AM   #3
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
http://forums.fortress-forever.com/s...ad.php?t=21619
http://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=21619

It's been done before. It failed.

Maybe if we get more players in 2.42. Maybe.
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves
7:00 PM - zE: like watching fox news
7:00 PM - zE: its like wtf
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2011, 04:58 AM   #4
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
It's destined to fail because eventually the new players have to move past that point and start integrating with the more competitive Fortress Forever players which has its fair share of elitists assholes who will turn you off from playing this game no matter how good you've become. There's also the chance that it's just training you up to join their ranks and further make this game dismal to new players.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
To be honest, the pickup community isn't even that bad anymore. I asked someone who still plays and they said most of the trouble players moved on to other things or are banned so..
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2011, 02:56 AM   #6
Trailer
[Caleb]
Beta Tester

It's not so bad, I would say there are about 3 pickup players that are raging assholes. Most of us don't really care what you play and win or lose.

Anyway, it may have failed before, but I have immense love for this game and am going to give it another shot. With the new patch coming out, I would say the timing is pretty good. Some may say it's a waste of time, but is it any more of a waste of time than fragging on the same server everynight is?

I have a server that is being created as we speak. A 12 man NFO server with stats included.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
Atreuce
Tiny Asian Penis Man
Beta Tester

Class/Position: D - Engy/Demo
Gametype: CTF/AvD
Affiliations: rQ
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Send a message via AIM to Atreuce Send a message via Yahoo to Atreuce Send a message via Skype™ to Atreuce
I know I for one will be joining, and not because I live in the same house as Trailer... but because I'm pretty terribad at this game.

We're still waiting on the server to go live, and we also have a 10 man ventrilo server that will be free to use as well. As we gain users - I will raise the limit, but until then, there's no point.

Trailer can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we are the only U.S. server now that will be tracking stats. So come get your free kills on me

Vent Info:
trailer.vent.nfoservers.com:11090, also written as 64.94.238.13:11090

I look forward to learning with the best, and one day being useful for a pickup or something
Atreuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
Theres really no point in tracking stats. Talos did it, and it was pointless. By the time you racked up enough points to look decent, you would lose them all by dying as a scout.
If your gonna track anything, track FF points, make them useful lol. Going by k/d is a very bad idea
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
Trailer
[Caleb]
Beta Tester

Talos' stats had a point, it brought a lot of players to their server (and this mod) and gave them a reason to come back. Their players became so loyal, that they still play on the Talos server, even though it is lag paradise these days. 10+ choke with any more than 4 players, with 8 players the choke jumps to 30+, yet it is the only active server besides O-T.

I believe if a new player tries the mod for at least an hour on my server, he will feel more impelled to come back because of the stats over a server with no stats. It gives you a greater goal to work towards, that's why I think a lot of players stick to TF2. The hats / mmo style weapons are ridiculous, but it gives you a greater goal to work towards and a reason to keep playing.

I agree, stats do encourage noob tactics like spawn camping. It discourages light classes and offense all together, but the purpose of the stats isn't to give a certain players skill level a rank. The purpose is to give players a reason to keep playing, especially new players. After the Talos server got rid of the stat system, I noticed a HUGE drop in their player base. Yea, it might have been because it became lag city, but I think the stats played a part too.

What do you mean by track FF points? Is there a way to only get points but not lose them? Any feed back or tips will be appreciated, as I am new to the server game. Is there a way to implement some sort of achievements on a server too? I could take suggestions and come up with 50 or so different achievements to work towards, giving players even more reason to come back.

Atreuce and I will both be admins, and we play a lot, so there will almost always be an admin either on the server, or a simple message click away. I might be adding a few more moderators for more control, but I would have to find trustworthy players that aren't power nazis.

One thing I will be doing different is setting class limits. There will not be 3 seperate pipe traps or 4 sg's to get past. There will be 1 sniper, 1 or 2 pyros (haven't decided yet), and probably 2 of everything else aside from scouts, medics, and soldiers.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
episkopos
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: anything but Sniper and Spy
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Trailer, I'd advise you to re-enable snipers and pyros. They may be annoying (I hate them as much as anyone), but if they're disabled completely, the people who like to play them will go elsewhere (i.e. Talos). They're also the most accessible classes to new players.
episkopos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #11
Raynian
D&A Member

Maybe pyros.

Snipers can fuck off.

EDIT: before you QQ about snipers, let me expand on this.

Nobody likes being sniped. If we get all the omgprosuperlegit fapfapfap snipers on this server, then the newbies will just constantly get sniped while they try to do...ANYTHING. Then they will leave.

So in all honestly.

Fuck snipers.
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves

Last edited by Raynian; 06-14-2011 at 05:38 AM.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #12
Trailer
[Caleb]
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynian View Post
Maybe pyros.

Snipers can fuck off.

EDIT: before you QQ about snipers, let me expand on this.

Nobody likes being sniped. If we get all the omgprosuperlegit fapfapfap snipers on this server, then the newbies will just constantly get sniped while they try to do...ANYTHING. Then they will leave.

So in all honestly.

Fuck snipers.
^^^ That's one reason.

If people would play these classes the way they are intended to be played, I wouldn't take them out. However, it seems more popular to be completely lame and play O sniper and D pyro.

Last edited by Trailer; 06-14-2011 at 07:33 AM.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #13
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
It's destined to fail because eventually the new players have to move past that point and start integrating with the more competitive Fortress Forever players which has its fair share of elitists assholes who will turn you off from playing this game no matter how good you've become. There's also the chance that it's just training you up to join their ranks and further make this game dismal to new players.
I remember 32 man Newbie servers back in TFC that were pretty successful. I guess it all depends how it's run.

It's only destined to fail if 0 new players show up on that server. If someone has troubles learning what to do, take them to the newbie server or send them there if there are people in the server already.

Caleb, usually what I do is if someone looks like they are struggling, I ask if they need any help and by doing so, anyone else in the server at the time benefits from what that person is learning. This can be a good thing if other new players are in the server, but can be bad because I'm sure a lot of people who've been playing FF for a while just wanna play without much distraction. So a training server might be what the doctor ordered.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #14
episkopos
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Pyro is a class intended be played either offensively or defensively. The wiki lists him as "Hybrid". I would consider him closer to D than O due to the power of his weapons.

O snipers are a joke on most maps: they have the armour of a scout and none of the speed.

Who cares about "intended" purpose anyway? Emergent gameplay is something modern FPSes sorely lack. Playstyles such as O Engy can be interesting and fun to play against, and on one occasion I managed to stop a fair amount of flag movement by playing D Medic.

I, personally, am okay with sniper and pyro being disabled. I think sniper should be removed from the game and pyro needs a total revamp. What I'm saying is, don't be surprised if player numbers decrease, as the people who like those classes go to Talos.

Last edited by episkopos; 06-14-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
Raynian
D&A Member

Less snipers would, IMO, increase player count as a whole.

Again, nobody likes being sniped by a faggot toggling an aimbot being a sniper and also being a gigantic faggy faggot.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #16
episkopos
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:

Again, nobody likes being sniped by a faggot toggling an aimbot being a sniper and also being a gigantic faggy faggot.
We'll see. I'm just pessimistic.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #17
FreaK367
Everyones favorite FreaK
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout, Engineer and Sniper
Posts Rated Helpful 17 Times
Quote:

Disliking sniper is just someones opinion on a class. Doesn't mean it should be removed, otherwise a server with "no rules" in order to gain players, would instead be enforcing a Huge rule to limit people on what they can play. And nobody likes that.

I have already seen people on Trailers server complaining about the free will to choose what class they can play when Pyro and Sniper were removed on Schtop.

Personally, I don't like Demomen on defense, because it is so cheap, set pipes, camp in a corner, right click to kill any enemy in one go. Takes little skill yet is the most powerful defense if you don't have a trigger happy Demo.

Same with Soldiers just using splash damage, so many times just to see what they would do, I have as scout, walked up to a Soldier and ran around in circles infront of them, and they put their gun to the floor and start shooting around them to try and splash damage me, instead of just shooting a rocket at me. They stand on the flag and shoot the floor when a scout comes near, that's being more of a pussy than a Sniper.

But I would never want them to be removed from a server, because it would be removing free will from players. Enforcing a rule of what you can and cannot play. Which is the worst kind of rule any server can have.

That is why Old Timers is so popular at nights, you can play what you want, and play how you want. And a single rule to cover their spectrum of rules is Don't Be An Immature Dick. And you will never have problems.

If someone is annoying you being a certain class, do something about it. Don't remove them to make things easy for you. You need to fear some classes.
FreaK367 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #18
Raynian
D&A Member

Someone doesn't like that I'm calling out their favorite class. D'awwwww.

Let me be a real immature dick and take a page from the O-T server directly, and pull out one of the dumbest logical fallacies I can.

Deal with it.

I'm not Trailer, but he's already stated that he doesn't want snipers on his server. So stop trying to start server wars.

Oh MY! What a shocker, OT players starting more server wars, and over such a trivial little thing as class limits! Could it be?

The opinions expressed in this post do not represent the opinions of Trailer's Park of Rage or any of it's staff. However, deal with it.

Last edited by Raynian; 06-15-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #19
FreaK367
Everyones favorite FreaK
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout, Engineer and Sniper
Posts Rated Helpful 17 Times
What?

Scout is my favorite class :/

And I'm not trying to start a "server war", whatever one of those is, I'm just stating a fact, OT is the #1 server on FF, and has been for a long time. And one of the reasons is because they don't tell you what you can and cannot play, and they don't tell you how to play either.

I've seen Trailers admins shouting at people that it's "OvD" on a CTF map. More rules being enforced.

And I play OT, Talos, Trailers, and any other server that is populated at the time I am playing, I don't choose specific servers to play only.

Last edited by FreaK367; 06-15-2011 at 07:03 PM.
FreaK367 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #20
Trailer
[Caleb]
Beta Tester

I'm not even going to bother arguing with someone who thinks a D pyro is acceptable but a D soldier / demo is cheap....