Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
he could just put func_nogrens in there tbh
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2006, 01:17 PM   #122
o_caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
The balcony to the outside from the spawnroom is a little exposed.

Were you planning on putting some sort of rock2 style trigger_hurt across the door or anything?
Yep, atm the plan is to have a trigger kill for the enemy team, both on the resupply door and also the entrance from the conc balcony. I wasn't going to have any visual effect there, as I think it looks nice without any and it's pretty normal in fortress maps to have that sort of thing. If there are any good visual effects though I'll definitely consider them.
o_caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2006, 01:50 PM   #123
o_kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
effects/com_shield003a
^ If that's the combine force field thing I think it is...

Old 04-15-2006, 03:04 PM   #124
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
How long till beta2 Caes?

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2006, 03:51 PM   #125
o_caesium

Beta2 ETA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
How long till beta2 Caes?
I'll be getting back on Tuesday night, so if I then spend a few days tweaking the map, beta2 should be ready by next weekend (23rd of April). There's not very much that I want to change, so it really shouldn't take long: I just want to make the cubemaps smaller, update the skybox, and redo one little area of trim that's a bit messy atm.

Old 04-15-2006, 07:19 PM   #126
o_nezumi

That combine shield texture essentially disappears at a distance so you won't really notice unless you're right up next to it. (like, up on the balcony).
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2006, 10:58 PM   #127
o_carnifex

Maybe I'm not the right person to tell this, but if I look at that red/blue base from the outside, It looks like they are just floating around.. Maybe some support for that massive structure sticking out of the cliffs.
Makes it look way more realistic and I think it fits perfectly.
(Also, another texture for them, because they don't fit with the brownish color of the cliffs).

I really like the inside of the bases, well done !
o_carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2006, 01:12 AM   #128
o_imbrifer

Looks decent - very well done on the natural/outside parts of the map.

The front of each battlementsy area... I cant handle the texturing.. is that vertical metal stripes with alternating 'metal' and 'team' colors? Aghhh! It farks up my brain..

Inside walls and general architecture appear well done. The ceiling above the ramp looks out of place (texture wise) to me.. maybe make it the regular concrete ceiling texture and put in some pipes or lights? It also sort of runs into the other concrete texture at the top of the ramp.. maybe add a border there or make the textures the same?

I'd also suggest adding borders in different parts - in the security room some textures just run into eachother and I don't think that looks good. Oh, and maybe make the glass in the red base have a red tint instead of a blue one? Good use of stains and such. Try border textures around the windows - like on the resupply walkway - filter for textures with 'trim' as part of the name, or just use parts of 'wall' textures.

So yeah, the big things for me are adding borders around some of the windows/architecture, i think the blue glass is awkward in the red base, and.. yeah. But I can tell you put in tons of hard work, and from here on out its just minor touch-ups. Congrats!
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2006, 01:57 AM   #129
o_luminous

http://forums.fortress-forever.com/s...8&postcount=86

shows alot of the stuff you mentioned has been done already Imb
o_luminous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2006, 02:44 AM   #130
o_imbrifer

Well blast, I figured that the screens on the front and the website were of the updated map. Oh well.

Thanks for letting me know
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2006, 09:31 AM   #131
o_caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbrifer
Well blast, I figured that the screens on the front and the website were of the updated map. Oh well.

Thanks for letting me know
Yeah, there were just 2 things you suggested that have NOT already been implemented for beta2:

1. You suggested "Try border textures around the windows - like on the resupply walkway". How exactly do you mean, because I'm pretty happy with those atm. They feel very simple and un-fussy, and have a nice shape to them imo.

2. The texturing on the roof of the main ramp, and also on the front of the base, are unchanged atm. However, some nice trim has been added both on the front of the base and at the top of the main ramp. It's possible both these textures will change once the real FF ones are available, but I really like the cartoony rustic feel created by the texture on the front of the base atm. I know lots of ppl disagree, and so did I to start with, but when you play it ingame it grows on you fast, and any other textures I try now (and believe me, I've tried all I can find!) just look too serious and wrong. I think we have to wait until you see it with the trim in beta2, and then when ppl start to playtest the map and spend a few hours running around it maybe it will start to grow on them too If it doesn't grow on ppl, then yeah, of course I will change it, but for now it's the only texture I can find that captures the happy sunny unintimidating feeling that I want to create. So don't worry, I am trying things here.

Thanks for the feedback

Last edited by o_caesium; 04-16-2006 at 03:20 PM.

Old 04-16-2006, 05:43 PM   #132
o_luminous

i think he means kinda like window frames? would make the front just a bit more interesting, even if it was just some thin black frames or something

Old 04-26-2006, 11:30 AM   #133
o_caesium

Beta2 !!!

Beta2 of ff_aardvark is now ready and available for download. Thanks everyone who contributed to the many very useful suggestions so far. Please check out beta2, and keep the input coming!

Btw, sorry about the ridiculous filesize atm, this will be reduced greatly when we can use real FF textures and sounds rather than the current custom ones that we're having to include.

Download ff_aardvark_beta2.zip for HL2DM (LDR only)

Thanks to Doctor.TFC for hosting

Please note that I have not updated the media section on the website yet with screenshots from beta2, but hopefully I will do this soon.

-----

Changes in Beta2:

- "func_areaportalwindow" brush entities added for front window transparency fade in/out and block vis
- Open "func_areaportal" brush entities added all around the map to help vis
- More trim added all around the base, especially front of base and top of main ramp
- Custom orange tinted glass created and used in the red base
- Custom calmer water texture and animations created for happier feel and higher FPS
- Plank props replaced with a brush to correct lighting discontinuity
- General texture and trim tweaking and alignment, and stray decal fixes
- Custom textures created and used in place of dull repeating black tiles all around the base
- Cubemap sizes changed to improve reflection quality where necessary
- New healthy looking tree models outside
- Resupply door triggers changed
- All door sounds changed
- Game changed to HL2DM to make soundscapes work
- Triggerable soundscapes and environmental point sounds added all around the map
- Team logo on front of base
- Corridor to plank made more interesting (please don't pee in Mr. Aardvark's lake, but use the facilities provided..)
- Newspaper cutting in basement (many more to come in the next version, which will explain the history of ff_aardvark!). Thanks to Zydell for these

Things still to be done:

- Camera systems will be changed so that each team's camera is active when their generator is active (now possible due to multiple camera support being added to FF, but not possible in HL2DM)
- Need skybox that lines up properly. Maybe some nice person with DOD:S can message me and help me out with this..
- More newspaper cuttings in basement :]

Last edited by o_caesium; 04-26-2006 at 11:44 AM.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:41 AM   #134
o_zydell

Caesium you've got mail cant wait to see the screenshots
o_zydell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2006, 01:03 PM   #135
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Cool, gettin it now.

Looks great, the tinted windows in the red base add quite a bit of ambiance to it. The new trees rock too. Can't wait to be concing around that bastard.

You are a pirate!

Last edited by Lost; 04-26-2006 at 02:09 PM.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:06 PM   #136
o_kam

mmm sexy orange glass

- areaportalwindow should open a bit closer to the bridge imo
- this should be like A in this

Old 04-26-2006, 03:19 PM   #137
o_caesium

Yeah, I'm in the process of tidying up the arches and stuff like that atm. There aren't many to do, just need to be bothered to do it.

Do you mean you think the fade to clear shouldn't start til you get closer to the base? I've done a lot of thinking and testing about this, and where it is atm means that for almost all concs you can do the window will be blocked so you get nice fps, but it fades to clear as soon as possible after that so that it looks nice.

Glad you like the sexy glass

Old 04-26-2006, 05:03 PM   #138
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Kam is right about the fade, you can be a little outside of the base entrance and see into both bases at the same time. I got better FPS on the original map but I don't have a horse of a PC either, I just hope it'll run good when we get more people into it.

BTW, any word on a public test server for the maps? I'd donate time to playtest em.

You are a pirate!

Old 04-26-2006, 05:10 PM   #139
o_sh4x

I gotta say the yard looks really good. The only problem with such goodness is the framerate. Looking at the other base out the window my BFG6800GTOC is dieing at 29fps!

Anyways, I'm offering a mirror.

www.yannricher.com/FF/ff_aardvark_beta2.zip
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2006, 05:13 PM   #140
o_luminous

u shouldnt be gettin 29fps surely sh4x, i get 40+ using a 6600GT

really cant wait to play this map in FF =)