Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Steam Greenlight to approve 100 games

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/28/st...itles-greenlit

Quote:
“This latest milestone is both a celebration of the progress we’ve made behind the scenes and a stress test of our systems,” explains the announcement post. “Future batches are not likely to be as large, but if everything goes smoothly we should be able to continue increasing the throughput of games from Greenlight to the Steam store.”
I play another game that was ranked 40 last week and with this new batch, they're now ranked #3. Does that mean FF also moved up in the ranks and if so, what's the status?
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2013, 04:18 AM   #2
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
#47!

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2013, 05:28 AM   #3
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

badass!

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 08-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
ddm999
worst ff player eu

Class/Position: o - no, d - scout
Gametype: IvDZ
Posts Rated Helpful 18 Times
But if the game was ranked #40 and has moved up 37, that just proves the people putting games onto Steam from Greenlight are complete retards and Greenlight is a lie.

Why you so dumb, Valve?

Old 08-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
badass!
Badass indeed! That is great news!

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm999 View Post
But if the game was ranked #40 and has moved up 37, that just proves the people putting games onto Steam from Greenlight are complete retards and Greenlight is a lie.

Why you so dumb, Valve?
Huh?

My Non-official Maps

- Karl Pilkington

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
ddm999
worst ff player eu

For a game to be Greenlit by Valve, it doesn't need to be in the top 100. It doesn't need to be in the top anything. It just needs to exist, and for someone at Valve to click a button. The liking thing isn't really used at all.
It's why terrible games end up being Greenlit, and games that are ranked between #11 and #100 are only ever-so slightly more likely to be Greenlit.

Every game is unlikely to be Greenlit. When there's thousands of games in the Greenlight system, and so far, only 150 have been put on Steam, and quite a few of them put on months after their initial release and causing very little interest and Steam not really doing anything for them...

Look, even if FF was on Steam, no-one would play it apart from us who do now, but we'd end up with even more new people who just say "this game sucks" because they don't know how to play it.

If FF was 'popular', it would have a horrible community, and currently the community of FF is one of the best things about the game. The fact I can go on a server and we all have a laugh and we joke around and stuff is awesome.
(But it's also the reason why people just go on one server, because they want to hear all that and be a part of it too...)

Old 08-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #8
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

If top 100 didn't matter, then why would game rated top 40 now be 3rd in the ranking? (WWII Online) I doubt over the past 6 months the game has gotten so much more support considering it's been out since 2001 and with server/network issues over the past couple years on top of the price for a subscription, new membership has been slow. So you gotta understand that there are most likely plenty of games out of those top 100 that were picked. Not saying it matters for all top 100 games because it's obvious it doesn't, but some, probably most, were greenlit.

Greenlight has only been out for a year now and already people are talking about how it's not doing anything for new games because of the amount of time it can take for a game to get greenlit, but what is your basis for comparison? Do you know how long it took games to get published on Steam prior to Greenlight? And are you aware of what Valve is trying to accomplish with this new program? Sure it's far from perfect but with thousands of games, it can't just be all about the top 100.

Since when does a popular game require it to have a shitty community? I would have to say there are quite a few who would disagree with you with regards to how good our community is.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 08-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
I would have to say there are quite a few who would disagree with you with regards to how good our community is.
Lol.

Anyways, obviously greenlight isn't going to make FF absolute GOTY, katty Parry popular. But it would definately be an improvement. There's always some one new wanting to try out FF, and being able to DL it through steam would be a much easier process. Could draw in a few people here and there browsing games on steam. Because believe it or not there are some people would pass up FF for not being on steam. I have a couple friends like that, granted they know they wouldn't stick around anyways.

It would also help those of us already playing get updates.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

I'm so lost in the Top 100 controversy that ddm999 is bringing up. My criticism of Greenlight when we first got on it was that things in the Top 100 are extremely unlikely to get looked at by Valve. I don't see how this doesn't just make that more clear. If a game went from #40 to #3, that means that out of all games in the top 39, 2 didn't get greenlit this batch.

We went from under the top 100 (it doesn't tell you your rank if you're not top 100, it just tells you your progress towards being in the top 100 as a percentage; we were at ~70-80%) to #47. That likely means that nearly all of #40-100 got greenlit as well.

Your criticism, if true, would be a good thing in my eyes. If Valve looked past the Top 100, there might be some cool but unhyped games that get Greenlit. I'm having a hard time believing that they do, though. The entire Greenlight system, from the developer side, makes it clear that "Top 100" is the only thing that really matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA
It would also help those of us already playing get updates.
Releasing patches currently is a nightmare process. Steam distribution would really help out.

My Non-official Maps

- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by squeek.; 08-30-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
homie in reboks'

Class/Position: Soldier & Medic
Affiliations: ( ir :: ) iv| K^ †
Posts Rated Helpful 80 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm999 View Post
Look, even if FF was on Steam, no-one would play it apart from us who do now, but we'd end up with even more new people who just say "this game sucks" because they don't know how to play it.

If FF was 'popular', it would have a horrible community, and currently the community of FF is one of the best things about the game. The fact I can go on a server and we all have a laugh and we joke around and stuff is awesome.
(But it's also the reason why people just go on one server, because they want to hear all that and be a part of it too...)
This is a horrible outlook to have and absolutely not true.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
the_cake
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 144 Times
Point #2 is mostly correct unfortunately. It's a sad reality of releasing a game like this in 2013.

Even a semi-hardcore community like tribes fails to retain a sizeable player base despite having a fairly large company backing it. Although they seem to make good money by milking the hardcore community every couple months for new p2w stuff.
the_cake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #13
ddm999
worst ff player eu

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
If a game went from #40 to #3, that means that out of all games in the top 39, 2 didn't get greenlit this batch.
(why does # not look right in quotes?)

Yeah, I suck with numbers.

Explains why I have an A* in my Maths GCSE. :P

Anyway, people suck and like terrible games. Also terrible games get greenlit. Should've probably looked at statistics before saying what I think. Dammit, me.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:59 AM   #14
Fruitcake

Gametype: AvD/IvD
The idea that something being popular makes it bad is just stupid (Justin Bieber aside). Also the idea that if ff got popular it would ruin the community is just plain silly.

If a game gets large enough it generally stops being one community and starts being multiple server-communities. FF has a small playerbase and therefor everyone who plays the game is pretty much part of the same community. Despite all the bashing I think FF has a pretty solid community.
Fruitcake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2013, 04:19 AM   #15
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
I don't think being greenlit would be a bad thing at all. After all, on the TFC server I regularly play on, we've seen a steady influx of new people for months now. More often than not, the newbies enjoy the game, and keep coming back. I don't see any reason why FF wouldn't have a similar result. I voted for FF to be greenlit. I honestly hope it will be, as it will bring new players to the game.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #16
Dylstew

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Generally, communities get worse when they get popular. When I play games like these, (old fps) without many players, I notice the community is a lot nicer.
However, that doesn't have to happen. Killing Floor is popular and I've played with a lot of nice players there on random servers.

Just because something's popular doesn't mean it's bad. A lot of 80's Punk Rock bands are pretty popular now(Ramones, Dead kennedies, The Misfits, The Sex pistols and the clash to name a few) But that doesn't make them any worse than they were.

If it gets greenlit, I think more people would play it. it would be easier to just play and find a game. You don't need to be as popular as TF2 or Battlefield. I just want to be able to find a game every now and than, which I can easily do when I start op unreal tournament 3(which is very unpopular), but not when I start up fortress forever(Or ut99/2004, the amount of fake players and shitty mods that are popular on there is astonishing. can somone please play on a normal damn server i nthat game?).We need more players, it doesn't have to be popular or anything. I can barely play this game because of the playercounts, and if I can, I have 150 ping. At least in Unreal Tournament I can fuck around with bots, but this game doesn't have them.

Last edited by Dylstew; 09-04-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Dylstew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #17
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
I think it's really less about the size of the community that dictates what kind of community the game holds, but rather, what kind of people the game attracts in the first place.
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #18
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
There's a slight influx of stupid people on the GL page. I wonder if it's starting to get more attention, whether from being closer to the top or something else. Idk how GL works.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #19
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
just lots of stupid people sometimes they clump up together
9:17 PM - DEXTER: can you teach me how to play o
9:17 PM - squeek.: you jump a lot
9:18 PM - squeek.: and do sweet moves

8:55 PM - FDA: fart in you fridge and blame it on wild animals
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #20
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
I wonder if it's starting to get more attention, whether from being closer to the top or something else. Idk how GL works.
I made a Facebook post about it for people that haven't voted, so maybe some of it came from there.

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote