Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
2.42 First Impressions

This is for both long time players, and newcomers alike.

What are your first impressions of v2.42?

If you've played before, do you like the changes that have been implemented?

If you're new to the game, do you feel that Fortress Forever continues the Fortress Game Tradition?

If you could change something, what would it be?

Feel free to take time evaluating the new patch, however, we do want your input.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 02:24 AM   #2
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
heavy weapons guy super fucking powered.
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 02:28 AM   #3
Z4toichi

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I was having fun, but old timers are late to the party. and people left the only server that wasnt locked...only got to try soldier..I like the new nail, and got to see the hw new nade, liked that as well.

Last edited by Z4toichi; 06-26-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Z4toichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 03:22 AM   #4
FreaK367
Everyones favorite FreaK
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout, Engineer and Sniper
Posts Rated Helpful 17 Times
Gave it a good go on the servers that actually updated, although I was looking forward to playing on OT.

I tried most changes, I found the Heavy Weapons Guy to really be useful now, the slow grenade is great, makes concing scouts less of a threat, and generally makes defending easier, I can imagine on Destroy, a slow grenade will really work on the ramps as scouts like to conc up there at high speed.

The Overpressure is a great feature too, really up there, I played mainly OvD maps on 2.42, with Squeek at one point actually, and it was so satisfying to perfectly use overpressure when on the cap point and an enemy is just about to land on the cap with the flag. To be able to push them away and let the SG take care of them, really good, I actually found myself replicating the example of Overpressure which was shown in the 2.42 trailer, when soldiers were trying to rocket jump up to higher places where I was, I just blasted them back where they came from. So I really like the HW changes.

I like the look of the colour coded jump pads and dispensers, and I was happy to see that although the jump pad can be destroyed, it had no time limit, so on certain maps it could be very useful, like getting across the yard on Destroy, less need to keep building a jump pad.

The Soldiers laser grenade is much much better than the nail grenade, like, beyond better. I was a Heavy and one went off at my feet, and my health just dropped, fast. It's something to be avoided now. I prefer it to the nail grenade.

Not sure if you made a change but the jump pads felt more powerful to me, I thought I remembered them launching me at between 700 - 800 speed, but now it's over 1000. Unless I am just confused about the earlier figures.

I like the overall look of things, and apart from a glitchy railgun animation, everything seemed smooth, and I wasn't getting any FPS issues from what I remember.

I like the update, and I look forward to really trying it out in the future, once OT hurries up and updates :P, I can see myself actually playing a Heavy now gasp, considering it was one of the classes I very rarely touched, like Pyro.

Good work to the Dev team.
FreaK367 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:36 AM   #5
Trailer
[Caleb]
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Scout, D demo and Engy
Gametype: Attack / Defend
Affiliations: -nZ [LAW] *TG* M|M TRISPIRAL (Back in the TFC days)
Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
I like everything except the client crashes, and I think the jump pads should have more health, they go down too easy. Other than that it seems to work.
You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.
Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
Jay Mofo Mills
Jay|mOfO|Mills
Beta Tester

Gametype: Snag the flag beotches
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
My first impression is that the defense got SIGNIFICANT buffs and scout/medic main offense classes got significantly nerfed.

Medic: Infection no longer kills. Thank god the medpack does more damage. Reload on the nailgun pfft.... Don't try to dm a Heavy. Don't try to take out a sentry gun. You'll just hit a slow nade and be too busy fucking reloading that 2 grenades and your 1-1/2 clips of a nailgun can't get past the engy constantly whacking his gun and the 3 other defenders raping you. The medic got completely neutered and I'm ashamed to play him now. Its sad.

Scout: Team jumppads - well it is what it is. Moot point for me, though the slow nade causes major problems. Good for a noob HW who holds down m1 and can't aim well. Bad in the hands of someone who can already play HW well.

I like the soldiers laser nade. Need to playtest more but game keeps crashing even after hotfix.

I'll play a little more to get a better feel but this is my first impressions.

I think I might jump on the bandwagon of the majority of people who just play defense. Especially since it just got easier and Offense just got a lot harder.

I don't mean to gripe.

To be fair, I think some of the concepts are neat. They could be useful, the current implementation does not feel anywhere near balanced to me. Good work on getting it out there. You dev's kick ass for keeping this game moving.

Love FF.
Jay Mofo Mills is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:01 AM   #7
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
IMO this will actually make the DvD in pubs go down a bit - at least, I hope. Since you need less defenders to be able to stop the offense now, it'll free up some more people to attack. Snipers still make the whole interaction gay, of course. But whatever.
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves
7:00 PM - zE: like watching fox news
7:00 PM - zE: its like wtf
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times

Mt first impression is this needs more publicity.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilledsanity View Post

Mt first impression is this needs more publicity.
Hi, My name is chilledsanity and I am trying to play FF at 4:40am.

You fail sir.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #10
AtomicSphinCteR
D&A Member

Class/Position: Conc. vs object suicides
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
In between crashes....
Played HW more than i EVER play it. Push effect and slow gren made the class fun to play. Slow gren is still a little overpowered.
Solly laser grenade seems ok, time will tell on that one.
Medic SN clip is a fail, looking forward to the patch that fixes it.
Didn't get a chance to to play scout against the beefed up D classes since my Belkin n52 died last night and the Razer Nostromo is nowhere near as smooth.
I had some framerate issues as well (25% lower than usual).
Thanks for dedicating the time to some interesting updates, and fixes for the not-so-interesting ones.
AtomicSphinCteR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
Love it. Sadly with the new FPS issues, my old machine lags like heck and I can't experience the gameplay properly.

I like almost all of the changes, soft-clipping being my favourite.

"As the the new year approaches I await for it like an case of explosive fecalomania otherwise know as diareha or the massive shits. I am gripping the sides of the toilet as my stomach produces the first hollow thud out of the anus of the year to come." DarkeN_HellspawN

Last edited by moosh; 06-26-2011 at 10:45 AM.
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #12
episkopos
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: anything but Sniper and Spy
The laser grenade doesn't seem that much different from the nail grenade, other than the beams can be dodged and it doesn't explode. It's still deadly to anyone who's too close when it activates.

The Super Nailgun does not need a clip. It's a horrible idea and it needs to be removed. I was surprised to see that it had made it into the patch. The Medic was perfectly balanced before. This just adds more annoyance to playing him.

Infection changes are okay. It's good to see that a silly idea Robin Walker had fifteen years ago has been made sensible.

The true-aim-crosshairs-while-firing have made conc aim infinitely easier, and the handheld concs not affecting enemies means that defense can expect to be conced a lot less. I would argue that this constitutes quite a large buff to defense. On the other hand, I am in favour of it because it makes playing D far less annoying, and less anoyance is good.

Soft clipping is slightly disconcerting after being used to bumping into allies, but overall I'm in favour of it.

Jump pads are too weak.

New visual effects are nice.

Slowfield I didn't really experience. Overpressure I don't really have much of an opinion on. The sliding effect feels unnecessary.

Overall, I think this patch pushes CTF balance too strongly in favour of D. The little things that have been changed or added mostly benefit D in some way, and this adds up into quite a large buff for D.

Last edited by episkopos; 06-26-2011 at 10:54 AM.
episkopos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #13
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
Hi, My name is chilledsanity and I am trying to play FF at 4:40am.

You fail sir.
So does all of Europe then (where I am at the moment), plus making it 1am west coast as well. I also tried about 9 hours earlier and there were 2 servers active. One with 1 person in it, the other with 8 playing a map I didn't have where the auto-download didn't work.

Plus for a NEW LAUNCH in about a year, I would hope the playercount would spike at least a LITTLE.

EDIT:

Just checked again at the time of this post, still completely empty.

Last edited by chilledsanity; 06-26-2011 at 10:56 AM.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
FF's official servers, trailer's and talos all had players in them for most of the day.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Could someone upload the female announcer sounds? I had it set to them before, but updating overwrote that and I forgot to make a backup of it. :x
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves
7:00 PM - zE: like watching fox news
7:00 PM - zE: its like wtf

Last edited by Raynian; 06-26-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #16
Z4toichi

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Got back on and played on Trialer's server, and had a great couple of hours. I experienced almost no drop in frames. There was a couple of odd times here and there. I played both O and D. I had no problem with scout. Of course when I was there aardvark or any other map where a HW could really dominate with their slow nades never came up. We did play Monkey but I don't recall anyone trying to play front door HW on that. I agree jump pad needs more health. Soft clipping is great, but will take some getting used to after years of bumping into fellow team mates ( I still try to dodge them instinctively). I didn't see anything about the true aim crosshairs, so I must have looked like a fool trying to aim while being conc'd.
Z4toichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #17
FreaK367
Everyones favorite FreaK
D&A Member

Just got to add, I hate the new FF 2.42 background, when I seen it my reaction was eugh, the old one just looked cooler. And it looks like it was taken on a PC with low video settings, it does FF no justice. And it's the first impression people see when turning the game on.

I think it should be an action shot, it doesn't scream this game is fast paced and enjoyable (nor did the old one, but it was simplicity that made it good), I'd have staged it to get a laser grenade in there, an SG in the background, shooting at a concing scout just about to leave the base flying over the laser grenade with the SG's rocket just exploding behind the scout against a wall. Or something like that. Sometimes a good scout can escape pure chaos and behind him can be like a warzone he has just escaped. It can be a pretty awesome scene.

I'll try and capture some good screenshots when in game, but I only run 1920 x 1080.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #18
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
Starting screen needs some black bars on the top and bottom imo.
"As the the new year approaches I await for it like an case of explosive fecalomania otherwise know as diareha or the massive shits. I am gripping the sides of the toilet as my stomach produces the first hollow thud out of the anus of the year to come." DarkeN_HellspawN
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #19
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
The menu background comes in a widescreen version and a 4:3 version, but there seems to be a bug where if you run in 16:10 ratio, it shows the 4:3 ratio background, which stretches it really badly.

Both images have to be shrunk down to 1024 by 1024 for the engine to load it at all, and then the game resizes them to fit the window. It may be possible to bump that up to 2048 by 2048, but there's not much point unless you're taking screnshots at a high resolution to start with.

The pic itself is an action shot, taken during a beta test. We'll take submissions for menu pics any time.

Last edited by Crazycarl; 06-26-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #20
FreaK367
Everyones favorite FreaK
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl View Post
The menu background comes in a widescreen version and a 4:3 version, but there seems to be a bug where if you run in 16:10 ratio, it shows the 4:3 ratio background, which stretches it really badly.

Both images have to be shrunk down to 1024 by 1024 for the engine to load it at all, and then the game resizes them to fit the window. It may be possible to bump that up to 2048 by 2048, but there's not much point unless you're taking screnshots at a high resolution to start with.

The pic itself is an action shot, taken during a beta test. We'll take submissions for menu pics any time.
If 1920 x 1080 is big enough for a submission, I will try to take some good screenshots in game, mainly from spectator if I manage to spec a really good scout or medic, like Panda, Atomic or Moya amongst others. I'll be taking Steam screenshots.

I'll up the Anti Aliasing and Anisotropic before doing so to try and take better quality ones. I don't mind any of my pc components bar my old 1gb Geforce 9600GT graphics card, that's the only thing that limits me graphically. But if spectator allows me to push the boat out a little, I'll rack everything up even further, I run most settings on high.