Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 05-15-2005, 10:15 PM   #1
o_dr zauis

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Compile Errors....hlp plz

My latest compiles (im using fast compile) gives me these two errors

Placing detail props : 0Material STONE/BLENDCOBBLEDIRT001A uses unknown detail object type grassland1!
Material STONE/BLENDCOBBLEDIRT001A uses unknown detail object type grassland1!
...1...2...3..Material STONE/BLENDCOBBLEDIRT001A uses unknown detail object type grassland1!
.4...5...6...7...8...9.Material NATURE/BLENDGRASSGRAVEL001B uses unknown detail object type coastline_redgrass03!
Material NATURE/BLENDGRASSGRAVEL001B uses unknown detail object type coastline_redgrass03!
Material NATURE/BLENDGRASSGRAVEL001B uses unknown detail object type coastline_redgrass03!

and then:
FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (3072.0, 577.0, -279.0)
Leaf 0 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
Leaf 1 contents:
viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (3072.0, 577.0, 110.0)
Leaf 1 contents:
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (3072.0, 577.0, 136.0)
Leaf 1 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

Can some1 tell me what this means?
o_dr zauis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2005, 11:20 PM   #2
o_frenchtoast

Check for
1. Leaks
2. Microbrushes

These are the causes of all your problems...except the first one. For the first one I think you were using Paint Alpha on a displacement and something went wonky. If you have, try changing the texture and see if that fixes your problem.

The second error is generally caused by microbrushes. If you get them, press CTRL SHIT G in the editor and type in the brush number, delete it.

If you have a large box as your skybox, that could cause problems as well. Also, instead of using fast compile, use cordon compiling technique.

If you need additional help, go to the Snarkpit (it seems to be down at the moment however)

EDIT: "Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID", I think that proves my skybox theory.
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
o_soundman

If you are using a blended texture sometimes you need to have both available textures that are being blended in order for the compile to work correctly.
o_soundman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2005, 10:49 PM   #4
o_dr zauis

Ok for starters, i know how to use the cordon tool, but i was just testing for leaks and to see how everything in my map was working together. Thats why i used the fast compile...i dont care about a slow map right now, im just doing testing.

Second, i dont understand what a microbrush is...could you plz explain further.

Third i have no leaks. No Pointfile can be loaded.

Forth how do i get sprite grass to pop out of my displacements...i thought all blended textures would give sprite grass on top, but i am apparently incorrect. Do i have to type something into my compiler?

Old 05-19-2005, 05:40 AM   #5
o_saintgreg

I believe that when you compile a vmt it sets what types of grass sprites get put on that texture of displacements. Not all the grass textures in HL2 have grass sprites, though you can put them on and there is probably a tutorial somewhere.

A microbrush is just a really small brush. When the map is compiled small brushes (or maybe small faces) get thrown out.

If you have no leaks then I think FindPortalSide errors can be ignored. It probably means you're architecture is either bad, or just too complex, but if the map runs fine then it can probably be safely ignored.
o_saintgreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2005, 10:57 PM   #6
o_rival13

I just encounted the same findportal error and it went away once i closed up my displacements. A displacement doesn't enclose the world like a brush does so something has to be behind it covering the void.
o_rival13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2005, 02:06 AM   #7
o_frenchtoast

That is correct. Displacements do not block VIS. Thus if someone was behind a huge displacement, they still get rendered. Therefore, if you are trying to seal your map witha displacement, throw some NODRAW brushes underneath.

Anyways, dr. Zauis, a mircrobrush is just a brush that is smaller than 1x1 units. It generally occurs when you clip something wonky. If you have microbrushes, an error will be displayed in your compile log. Since you didn't post your whole log I thought there may be some. If you'd like to post your whole log, that would be quite helpful.

If you want to add grass, check out the tutorials at the SnarkPit. They have tutorials and forums for all your editing problems.

If you're still having problems, post your whole log.
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2005, 10:02 PM   #8
o_dr zauis

i will