Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 03-11-2005, 06:15 AM   #1
o_dr zauis

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
CS:S Textures

I am mapping in Hammer under the CS:S config, and I was in need of some help with getting the textures from CS:S im using into a folder of their own, so people who dont have CS:S can run my map w/o black and pink checkers.

Also i want to actually compile the map under HL2DM because of the whole ropes connecting issue. Is there a way to tell the compiler where those textures are...back in the day you just had to make a .wad file...now idk what to do. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Oh one more question....if you run the stress test there is a gordon freeman stainedglasswindow block...anyone know what that texture, if it is a texture...is titled...or is it a model?
o_dr zauis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2005, 10:21 PM   #2
o_soundman

I'm wondering this as well. Can you extract the materials and then place them in say the HL2DM respective folder.? I don't know, I want to be able to use ALL of the materials and Models available in HL2, HL2DM, and CS:S.
o_soundman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2005, 11:28 PM   #3
o_nomak

yay more people that know what im saying! Ive asked this so many times before and no one seems to have answered in a clear definate answer. I would LOVE to use the cs:s textures in hl2dm but i cant find out how. grRrr. If anyone can help please do.
o_nomak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2005, 03:26 AM   #4
o_soundman

I figured it out!!!!!

Well this is what I did to make it so I could use CS:S models while mapping with HL2DM

I basically followed the principles of making your own models or materials as well as the over-riding principle that Valve lets you customize your own stuff right. So if you want to use a different sprite for your rocket you put it in the respective folder or create one, and viola your custom sprite in place of the standard.

So I extracted all of the \materials Counter-strike_source_shared.gcf using VTF explorer. I also extracted all of the models as well.

I then placed these folders with their respective files in the following locations respectively.

accountname\half-life2_deathmatch\hl2mp\materials
accountname\half-life2_deathmatch\hl2mp\models

and

accountname\sourcesdk_content\hl2mp\materialsrc
accountname\sourcesdk_content\hl2mp\modelsrc

I'm sure it would work backwards as well, extract the HL2DM stuff to CS:S if you like. I just compiled a map with both HL2dm adn CS:S models as well as materials.

The only thing was when HL2DM booted up, I saw the counterstike screen and I was like WTF? But I then realized that there was a console folder that was copied over and sure enough those CS:S background console pictures had overrided the default HL2DM ones just like it should of.

Hope this helps some people.

SOUND

Old 03-12-2005, 05:38 PM   #5
o_nomak

wait but is their any way just to exract the cs:s textures to hl2dm? i dont want the models

Old 03-12-2005, 08:52 PM   #6
o_dr zauis

So if i exract the textures im using from that folder, then put them in say a folder called "ejgs_hunted" They will work ok, or do i have to make a new path for them....im already using textures from both HL2 and CS:S

I need to do the same with models i use...because im using some models from CS:S as well as HL2...im so confused
o_dr zauis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2005, 10:28 PM   #7
o_soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomak
wait but is their any way just to exract the cs:s textures to hl2dm? i dont want the models
Read what I said, materials = textures in HL2. You have to extract the materials from the GCF file to use in another mod.

DrZ, i extracted ALL of the materials and kept them in their proper folders/subdirectories just as in the GCF. The inportant thing isn't the subfolder, but rather that it is in the proper materials and materialsrc folder as indicated above.

Old 03-13-2005, 10:49 PM   #8
o_nomak

O NO!!! wait but when i play cs:source online will it still work? i dont want my cs:s to be messed up if i extract the models and materials to where u said will it cs:s still work?

Old 03-14-2005, 02:46 AM   #9
trepid_jesse
Fortress Forever Staff

If I were on my computer I could be more descriptive; so, this is all comin' from my paint huffin' memory.

From what I've noticed, it seems to be that you can only use the props from other Valve games if you copy the associated files from one game folder to another game folder, but maintaining the same file hierarchy. If the appropriate files were in the heirarchy:

%the_game_dir/im_in_here/getting_close/here_I_am.whatever

then you'd need to copy them to

%the_other_game_dir%/im_in_here/getting_close/here_I_am.whatever

It appears to be less picky about using non-prop materials, but all of the files that are associated with props need to retain the orginal file tree heirarchy.

I don't know why you put the files in the sourcesdk_content folder as well, Soundman.

There's probably some just.. incredibly simple way to do all this, but we won't know until after we save all those werewolves.

Trepid, what?
trepid_jesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2005, 02:53 AM   #10
o_soundman

Of course you can still play CS:S you can not alter any content or delete any content in the GCF file. It is the default and can't be overwritten. BUT it can be extracted or COPIED if you will and placed in a different location.

And what trepid_jesse says about keeping the structural heirarchy I believe is very sound advice. This is what I did, kept the same folder structure from the GCF extraction.

Old 03-14-2005, 01:36 PM   #11
o_nomak

Ok im not sure what you meen but what im doing is im using gfcscape thing to extract the cs:s materials and models to where he said. I didnt copy them or anything i just extracted them using gfcscape. Will this still make cs:s work or no? or will it mess p hl2dm? I also aborted it about 15% done cause it came to my head.

Old 03-14-2005, 10:17 PM   #12
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
Yes, CSS will still work. It doesn't "cut" the files from the GCF, it copies them out. So the GCF will say intact when you extract files from it, meaning CSS won't break or anything like that.

One thing to keep in mind about all of this is that when you distribute your map, you'll have to add all the CSS content you've used to the ZIP or RAR or whatever you use to pack all your map's files together. Either that, or you'll have to use bspzip located in the "sourcsdk/bin" directory, which will let you actually put the CSS content in your map's bsp file.

Whichever way you use, you have to remember which content you have used in your map, which sometimes isn't easy if you've extracted all the content from the CSS GCF.
trepid_jon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2005, 09:28 PM   #13
o_nomak

ooo darn that all seems so confusing i guess ill just use hl2 textures i mite as well just make another map after my incursion map using the cs config and use those textures. thanks anyways all

Old 03-26-2005, 03:47 AM   #14
o_nomak

I have another problem regarding this forum following soundmans advice. About 1 and half months ago or 2 when i extracted some cs textures to hl2dm i never really extracted all of it needed to work. So today when i went to cs:s selection on source sdk i typed in cs_havana in the "filter" and almost all of the cs_havana textures had purple blocks on them. As if the textures were missing from the file. So i uninstalled cs:s and re installed it...still didnt work in sdk. Then i uninstalled sdk and reinstalled sdk...still didnt work. Only like 10 cs_havana textures are left out of some 35 is it supposed to be like this or did i mess something up? BTW the havana textures are the only thing missing, nothign else from other levels.

And i have a question for the ff dev team. In tfc in 2fort for example when an enemy entered a spawn area or resupply area a sentry gun mounted either on the cieling or wall woudl pop out and shoot them. Will you guys be making a model for this? or entities that would make it work? because im pretty sure there is a cieling turret in the hl2dm model props. but i read in some site that it only work in single player. please reply, thank u.

Old 04-02-2005, 06:12 AM   #15
o_butt mcfloyd

This whole texture know how thing is real confusing

i think what we need to hear (or at least i'd like to know) is HOW HL2DM/CS:S retrieve the textures they need to work. and how a mapper can retrieve them, and create a completely custom texture archive of some sort to use in his or her map.

i know that in HL1, all you had to do was create a .wad and pack it up with your map.

personally. i'm making a map and i need totally custom textures, and i'd like to pull textures from CS:S and implement them in my HL2DM map.

in the end the map will be used for FF.
o_butt mcfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2005, 09:10 PM   #16
o_soundman

There are tutorials on how to make your own materials and it's actually not too hard. It's located here on the collective website:

http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/Mate..._creation.html

If you go back to my original description and how I lay it out, I've had no problems with using CS:S textures and models in my map for avanti. Particularly cs_italy stuff.

If things aren't working then really make sure they are in the correct directories. I think this may be the cause of the some of the purple checkered effects.