Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2005, 08:21 PM   #1
o_zixel

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
How do you like UF

Hey guys, did you played UnrealFortress? I think it a best fortress mode, there are so many features was there, you could construct a centrygun with eny of three weapons you wont, and man many other cool features. Will you add some of them to your mode?
o_zixel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2005, 10:14 PM   #2
o_falleh

lul

i hope not! ^^
o_falleh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2005, 10:19 PM   #3
o_the_decoy

UF was okay at best. I did like some of the customization options that it had, but it just didn't play like TF should (or at least what I think it should). I think probably the best TF mod other than TFC was probably Q3F. That team did a good job of updating the original TF for Q1, unfortunatly those servers are more desolate than TFC is. The only ones that I can find consistantly have a 300+ ping for me.
o_the_decoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2005, 12:30 PM   #4
o_zixel

But there was so many really coool stuff. For example, sniper had a great special ability. He can LAY (not just sit) on the ground, and his coat changed it's texture, on the texture of the ground\floor that sthe sniper lay on. That waked fine, and it looked awesome!

Old 01-25-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
o_ghost

I just couldn't get into UnF since it just didn't feel like a fortress mod to me. IMO they deviated too far from the original formula that made TF so great. Don't get me wrong, I'm not afraid of change. However, TFC was still roaring at the time and for me I prefered the movement and style of TFC more.

Oh, and i guess the number 1 reason why I didn't keep on playing it was since they totally ruined my favorite class (demoman) by taking away possibly the best, most versitile weapon ever made and giving him a radically different style weapon (if you can't tell I absolutely love the pipebomb launcher).
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2005, 02:31 PM   #6
o_zixel

No, Im trying to focus on the UF small sweet features, not the gameplay. There was alot of them, for exemple when you reload, empty clips an drums of any weapon still laying on the grond. Did you aver see that in any game? And that sniper comuflage with changeble textures was so awesome!

Old 01-25-2005, 02:43 PM   #7
o_sobe green

Any class that can kill in one hit shouldn't be able to hide easy. I want a sniper to nearly glow neon green or pink. :P
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2005, 04:33 PM   #8
o_16valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT

Oh, and i guess the number 1 reason why I didn't keep on playing it was since they totally ruined my favorite class (demoman) by taking away possibly the best, most versitile weapon ever made and giving him a radically different style weapon (if you can't tell I absolutely love the pipebomb launcher).
I thought the mortar was a pretty poorly implemented idea (having to get a scout to paint the target with a laser was nearly impossible 'cause scouts usually are too much in a hurry to stop) but the grenade launcher was fantastic. It was very straightforward as well. Aim, hold the button for distance to target, and release to fire. You could really DM with it and it wasn't spammy in the slightest. I also like the "usual" weapons but they do give the demo the "spammy" title, deservedly or not.
The maps were a bit too large and it certainly wasn't the usual fortress mod but some of the ideas they came up with were spot-on. Alot of the suggestions people are coming up in these and the Cats forums were already in UnF.
They lost me when they released the horrible models. It was along time coming and a big disappointment. They also had bugs on different releases that made it impossibe to play until another patch. Kinda killed the mod. People moved on and away.
o_16valve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2005, 05:59 PM   #9
o_zixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Valve
They lost me when they released the horrible models. It was along time coming and a big disappointment. They also had bugs on different releases that made it impossibe to play until another patch. Kinda killed the mod. People moved on and away.
Which horrible models are you talking about? The classes models? Some of them was good. I liked the arsonist, the best pyro's model i ever seen... But the flamethrower sux.

Old 01-25-2005, 08:06 PM   #10
o_ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zixel
No, Im trying to focus on the UF small sweet features, not the gameplay. There was alot of them, for exemple when you reload, empty clips an drums of any weapon still laying on the grond. Did you aver see that in any game? And that sniper comuflage with changeble textures was so awesome!
The problem is if the gameplay isn't there then most people don't care about the little features.

Also, 16valve, i wasn't trying to say that the launcher in UnF was bad, I just didn't like it over the pipebomb launcher. I love the pipebomb launcher for it's uses on offense, defense, DMing and also as a way to get around. Yea, people who just pick up demoman usually spam the grenades. However, experienced demomen will be able to use the pipebombs for more than just traps around a flag. I just didn't get this out of the demoman from UnF, though to be fair I probably didn't give him much of a chance.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2005, 08:41 PM   #11
o_16valve

Yea, Zixel, the player models for the most part. Didn't really mean to say they were ALL bad but, in general, they were bad.

No, the launcher in 2 fire mode was pretty poor (I think that was probably what you were talking about). It would spit out those little balls way too fast. In regular fire mode it was fantastic.

Of course experienced Demo's can play the class better. Unfortunately, the VAST majority of players don't get the little things and simply toss grens, MIRV's, and blues. It's be cool if there was a way to get the class less "spammy" without taking away from the spirit of the class itself.
o_16valve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2005, 05:46 PM   #12
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

When I tried it, UnF was ugly and buggy. I didn't give it a second chance.

I did love the name....UnF...
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2005, 08:28 AM   #13
o_lithium

Re: How do you like UF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zixel
Hey guys, did you played UnrealFortress? I think it a best fortress mode, there are so many features was there, you could construct a centrygun with eny of three weapons you wont, and man many other cool features. Will you add some of them to your mode?
This isnt a free lancing mod , it's based on one of the most popular series of all time , altering and degrading it's content would make it lame and stupid
o_lithium is offline   Reply With Quote