Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
C&C 4 requires online connection

The guy that posts this message up looks like a complete idiot.

http://forums.commandandconquer.com/...01DF771.015048

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I noticed a number of you had questions concerning the back of our box, so I figured now is a good time to remind you of how the installation/online works

First thing to be clear about, Command & Conquer 4 has NO DRM. Zip, zero, zilch, none. We already made this clear.

Second, you do not need the disc in the machine to play Command & Conquer 4, however the following is how it works:

-AFTER you install Command & Conquer 4 with the disc on your machine, when you try to LOGIN at the Launcher for the first time, it will ask you for your serial key. You will enter in your serial key to activate your Master EA Account. The serial key, like in our past games, can only be activated for 1 master account. You cannot install multiple EA Master accounts on one serial key. You can create multiple Commander Personas however, so if you and your brothers each want your own Persona account with experience, etc, you can do that. Just has to be under the same Master EA account as in our past games.

-You can install the game from the disc as many times as you want on any machine. Re-install, etc.

-You do not need the disc in your machine to play. Your EA account just needs to have been activated by your serial key. After that, you can play Command & Conquer 4 on ANY MACHINE that has it installed. All you need to do is login.

-To play Command & Conquer 4, the computer needs to be connected to the internet. We've always made that clear as well.

So there ya go, no DRM, no disc in the drive necessary, just activate your account with your serial key and presto, you're ready to go. It's actually much easier than before.

-APOC
He says there is no DRM, yet he says that to play single player you have to be connected online to their server... THATS DRM IDIOT!

And this guy is officially one of the EA guys (hes the C&C Community Manager)
Gwarsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2010, 02:15 AM   #2
Pixel
if(0>1){printf("broked");}
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O
Meh, it'll be cracked. I win, but their customers lose.

Last edited by Pixel; 03-19-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2010, 03:54 AM   #3
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Hey look, the post has been updated, gee I wonder why they would do that...

Notice they took out any reference to DRM...

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I noticed a number of you had questions concerning the back of our box, so I figured now is a good time to remind you of how the installation/online works

First thing to be clear about, Command & Conquer 4 does require you to be connected to the internet to play. We were pretty diligent in our marketing and communication in making this clear well beforehand. The online requirement is tied directly to your player profile login, stats/achievements, and experience progression. That's it.

Second, you do not need the disc in the machine to play Command & Conquer 4, however the following is how it works:

-AFTER you install Command & Conquer 4 with the disc on your machine, when you try to LOGIN at the Launcher for the first time, it will ask you for your serial key. You will enter in your serial key to activate your Master EA Account. The serial key, like in our past games, can only be activated for 1 master account. You cannot install multiple EA Master accounts on one serial key. You can create multiple Commander Personas however, so if you and your brothers each want your own Persona account with experience, etc, you can do that. Just has to be under the same Master EA account as in our past games.

-You can install the game from the disc as many times as you want on any machine. Re-install, etc.

-You do not need the disc in your machine to play. Your EA account just needs to have been activated by your serial key. After that, you can play Command & Conquer 4 on ANY MACHINE that has it installed. All you need to do is login.

-To play Command & Conquer 4, the computer needs to be connected to the internet. We've always made that clear as well.

So there ya go, no disc in the drive necessary, just activate your account with your serial key and presto, you're ready to go. It's actually much easier than before.

-APOC

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 3/18/10 10:01:42 PM

Old 03-19-2010, 07:12 AM   #4
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
DRM is only problematic when it's a problem. Steam is technically a DRM, but has become accepted by it's users. You can't run the on multiple computers at the same time. You need to be connected to the internet for many games. You can't re-sell your games or your account.

Yes, the evil stuff is bad. But not all DRM is satanic. Get over it.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
The Drizzle
D&A Member

Class/Position: Sniper Defense
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [o-t]
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooga View Post
Since I always start the DRM threads...
The Drizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2010, 06:06 AM   #6
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Quote:
DRM is only problematic when it's a problem. Steam is technically a DRM, but has become accepted by it's users. You can't run the on multiple computers at the same time. You need to be connected to the internet for many games. You can't re-sell your games or your account.

Yes, the evil stuff is bad. But not all DRM is satanic. Get over it.
Ok so then what happens when you want to play the game while you are traveling in a car/bus/plane/boat/what ever that doesn't have an internet connection?

And what about your back yard if you don't have a wireless connection?

And what about if your net connection goes down for a few hours?

And what happens if you have an unstable connection that cuts out now and then for minutes at a time?

And what happens if all you have is a modem to connect?

At least with steam you don't absolutely need to have a net connection to play single player games by Valve. It still tries to connect, and as far as I'm concerned it should start in offline mode and only go online when you tell it to.

Also why shouldn't I be allowed to resell my games when I am done with them? After all when I am done with a DVD movie or a music CD, or a CD/DVD player, I can sell them off. Why should it be any different with a piece of software? Because they get no money from the sale? Why should they? When I sell a CD/DVD or hardware for it, the makers of those things don't get a "cut of the action".

Old 03-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I think I actually mis-read that. Is a constant internet connection is required? Their wording is kinda funky.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Quote:
I think I actually mis-read that. Is a constant internet connection is required? Their wording is kinda funky.
Yes it is.

Quote from the EA guy
Quote:

Old 03-21-2010, 06:32 AM   #9
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
I wish the core of the game didn't suck. I really, really had hopes for this since it's a bit different but they ruined it so, so hard.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

This just keeps getting better! LOL

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...onquer-drm.ars

A couple of links in the above URL
Quote:
EA's mouthpiece foiled by Command and Conquer DRM
By Ben Kuchera | Last updated 24 minutes ago

When you have to be connected to the Internet at all times to be able to play a single-player game, something has gone terribly wrong with this industry. EA's first-party blogger and outspoken mouthpiece Jeff Green found this out the hard way, and spread the word. "Booted twice—and progress lost—on my single-player C&C4 game because my DSL connection blinked. DRM fail. We need new solutions," he posted to Twitter.

He then goes on and says that calling it a single-player game may not be fair. "However, C&C4 experiments w/what a "single-player game" is—given it's constantly uploading progress/stats for unlocks. It's complicated... I think if we think of C&C4 as an 'online-only' game—which it basically is—then maybe we'd adjust our expectations accordingly."

Making single-player games effectively online-only is a bad solution to any problem, especially after we've explored how many people live without reliable Internet connections. You could save the points and progress and upload them when there is a connection, as Green points out, or simply design your games assuming players may not always be where there is Internet.

Green sent a warning to prospective players. "The story is fun, the gameplay is interesting and different at least—but if you suffer from shaky/unreliable DSL—you've been warned."

Old 03-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #11
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
DRM is just one more reason gaming died for me...I despise any game that insists on tightly coupling phone home functions at any point...whether activation or just playing.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2010, 10:39 PM   #12
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
I don't have a major problem with online activation for the first time you install the program on a computer... it's not THAT huge of an issue, unless you lack an internet connection. Realistically speaking, what current gamer DOESN'T have an internet connection?

However, requiring it for whenever you play it, is straight up stupid. Seriously, the ONLY way to effectively boycott this kind of crap, is simply don't buy it. You can bitch about it all you want on an internet forum, you can write hate letters to the president of the company, you can go on TV or kidnap an old lady. It won't matter worth a shit until people stop paying for games that have this kind of BS attached to it. They will sit in their corporate offices, laughing at you, while counting their money.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #13
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Start a facebook group and there you go.
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2010, 10:23 PM   #14
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
The only facebook group I'm in charge of is my fan club.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #15
YomMamasHouse

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
This doesn't even bug me anymore, the series died the second Westwood bought them out. This is just them returning to spit in its grave.

And Ill probably end up buying it because I'm a chump.
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2010, 02:39 AM   #16
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

don't buy it it kinda sucks ok
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2010, 02:48 AM   #17
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

ok
Everything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #18
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
I am pretty sure red alert 3 phones home when you played it. In my ummm "modified" version, you have to disconnect the internet or it initiates the black screen of death as it tries to find papa bear.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote