Old 04-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
MW2 or Bad Company?

I'm looking into one of these at the moment, do any of you play either of them? I just finished COD:World at War and I thought it was absolutely horrific. I don't play the CoD games online much, just LAN and SP, so I was disappointed with the shitty scripting and bland combat. The only options you have are stand there until you run out of ammo or run forward and hope you don't die while the bots creep up behind you.

Do the Modern Warfare games offer more playability or has that been what the CoD title has degenerated into? I really liked the first and 2nd installments, so I had high hopes for this one. T'was just another stereotyped WW2 shooter covering a few different combat zones than usual.

As for the Battlefield series, I've always been a fan of those, I even still LAN BF2 when I can. What does Bad Company offer?

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
I've played both, but only the MP of one.

I played the free weekend of MW2. I personally thought it was shit because of the obvious reason, no dedicated servers. I'm sorry, but that's a biggy for me, still I continued to play. After like my, what, third match.. I was in the lobby, waiting for the 60 second intermission to count down so we can play.

The match starts, I run around, fire a few bullets into someone's chest, and my level fucking skyrockets from 4 to 70. Bro, I just lost it all.. I had no reason to play this game any further.. what the hell.. I have everything unlocked, WHAT'S THE FUCKING POINT IN PLAYING, I HAVE JUST BEEN SPOILED.

I would prefer Bad Company 2 as I'm a Battlefield fag. I love c4, I love how there's no fucking airstrikes, no damn dogs, no helicopters 'ordered' in, more like human-piloted. C4 + light vehicles is the shit in uh, battlefield 2. I want to get BC2 so bad.

Last edited by Everything; 04-22-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Everything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
I haven't played Bad Company, but I played Modern Warfare 2 during the free weekend. It's a pretty fun game at the core, but it has some serious irritants. The lack of dedicated servers didn't really matter to me initially. I actually enjoyed being able to play the game immediately and without being confined to the rules of some stupid server controlled by people wanting to play 'realism' or be 'family friendly'. Then when I wanted to play specific maps, with a specific amount of people, under a specific game-mode, with a decent host, I realized how badly I missed being able to search a dedicated server browser.

The killstreaks are now interactive, and you can choose which rewards you wish to obtain during the game. However, the kills you make with these rewards (except from rewards obtained from care packages) contribute to your overall killstreak. You can often chain killstreak rewards one after another and build up to the tactical nuke, which literally kills everyone on the map and instantly wins the game for you and your team. If your team is stupid and feeds the attack helicopter, games can end in a few minutes.

The weapon customization is pretty nifty, and it was interesting trying to pair the right attachments with the right guns to get a decent weapon. However, there were far too many cheap combinations of attachments and perks. In the first Modern Warfare, there were always those 'lone guns' that people singled out as noob-friendly and overpowered. The same thing is retained here. Whenever you see someone in your killcam with an UMP (which has the damage of an assault rifle, it would seem) with the double rate of fire and stopping power perks, you know you're in for a bullshit round.

The game also retained a lot of the cheap mechanics from the first game. Stun grenades are still in. If you are unaware of what these grenades do, then imagine getting hit by a really loud grenade that completely slows you to crawl and makes it impossible to make really sharp turns. Sure, you could kill someone like this if you happened to have been facing them when it hit you. Ever more annoying is the flashbang grenade. Do I need to explain this one? Then, finally, there's the knife.

The knife actually locks on to people near you and guides you into them if you are at a certain distance. This is always an automatic and instant death for the person getting stabbed. You just press the q key by default within a certain range and can instantly kill anyone infront of you no matter their health or armor or condition or whatever. There's even a perk to double the melee range. I can't count the times I've let three rounds off into someone's chest at close range, only for them to survive those rounds and instantly kill me with a knife.

There's also the grenade launcher. The 'noobtube'. This is also in Bad Company from what I hear. It's an attachment on your weapon that allows you 3 or 4 distanced grenades that explode on contact. These pretty much instantly kill anyone and everyone they explode near, unless that person sacrifices an actual useful perk for the decreased explosive damage. This encourages a broken mechanic in games where it doesn't come down to skill or tactics, but rather who sees who first. Then again, the whole game is like that, so fuck.

Let's not forget Snipers. This is another 'who sees who first' mechanic. There are two perks that both make the rifle accurate from the hip and increase the speed by which one looks into the scope. This allows people to run around at close range sniping people and killing them in one hit from the hip or from really quick scopes. This isn't my idea of fun. Sure, it makes sense in this type of game, but that doesn't mean it's fun to play against. I'm at the point where I think Sniping should only belong in Sniper-themed games. It's not an alternative means to play (except, I would and have argued, in Red Orchestra) but a blatant upgrade or advantage over regular players.

The reason Kenny instantly jumped to level 70 is because of hacked servers. There are tons of hacked servers and there are tons of hackers. It's nice that Infinity Ward made the move to Valve Anti-Cheat as to avoid the brb putting the right to spy on you and read every file on your hard-drive anti-cheat we call Punkbuster, but at-least Punkbuster did its job. It's a double edged sword. I don't have to install software on my system that has printed in its EULA the right to scan every file on my harddrive and report its contents back to the company at the cost of effective anti-cheat. I'd rather play with hackers, then.

Last edited by Bridget; 04-22-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
Whenever you see someone in your killcam with an UMP (which has the damage of an assault rifle, it would seem) with the double rate of fire and stopping power perks, you know you're in for a bullshit round.

The knife actually locks on to people near you and guides you into them if you are at a certain distance. This is always an automatic and instant death for the person getting stabbed. You just press the q key by default within a certain range and can instantly kill anyone infront of you no matter their health or armor or condition or whatever. There's even a perk to double the melee range. I can't count the times I've let three rounds off into someone's chest at close range, only for them to survive those rounds and instantly kill me with a knife.

There's also the grenade launcher. The 'noobtube'. This is also in Bad Company from what I hear. It's an attachment on your weapon that allows you 3 or 4 distanced grenades that explode on contact. These pretty much instantly kill anyone and everyone they explode near, unless that person sacrifices an actual useful perk for the decreased explosive damage. This encourages a broken mechanic in games where it doesn't come down to skill or tactics, but rather who sees who first. Then again, the whole game is like that, so fuck.
UMP is pretty amazingly powerful, yeah, but it's horrid with Rapid Fire. Knife is definitely not a "guarantee", they miss all the time. Just hard to realize when you're not actively knifing.

Tube only has 2 nades total, but they're pretty bullshit, plus Scavenger/One Man Army.

Last edited by Desyphur; 04-23-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Desyphur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2010, 01:49 AM   #5
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
I'm a BC2 fan. I played the free weekend of MW2, and didn't really like it at all. MW2 seemed more lone-wolf, than anything. Most players just camped, and did whatever they could to get the most kills. BC2 employs a very heavy team-based gameplay. Teamwork can make or break the game. There are a few annoying aspects, people spam overpowered weapons, but the great thing is--TEAMWORK ultimately overcomes the unbalanced nature of some of the weapons. That's not to say you can't be a 'lone wolf' player in BC2, because you certainly can, but the fate of the game ultimately rests on teamwork. I've found that one person can often change the tide of the game by dramatically altering their strategy. For instance, just last night, my team (We were attacking) were getting turtled by a team spamming overpowered mechanics/weapons. So I immediately changed my class, and I laid down some smoke grenades for my team, giving them sufficient cover, and we ended up winning. This is possible with any class. An Engineer can turn the tide of a game by killing a vehicle that's obliterating his teammates. A Medic can turn the tide of a game by reviving fallen teammates and reinforcing their offensive. An Assault can turn the tide by laying down smoke, restocking teammates, etc. Each class feels unique, all the guns feel unique, the vehicle combat is also really unique and fun.

On the other hand, I thought MW2 was 'fun', but I equate it to playing Monopoly, or some other board game. It was like an arcade game, basically. Sure, it's fun to sit in a corner, kill 20 people who walk by, and completely own the other team with killstreak rewards, but compared to BC2, it just feels empty.

I also didn't like the unlock system in MW2. MW2's unlock system felt more like a grind, whereas in BC2 it took a nominal amount of time to unlock all the weapons, and all the attachments, whereas in MW2 you had to unlock each weapon attachment by using that weapon more than the rest. For instance, when you unlock the ACOG sight in BC2, it works on ALL guns. In MW2, you have to use the Red Dot Sight on EVERY weapon to get to the ACOG.

Technically speaking, BC2 has it's problems. Luckily yesterday was patch day, and a lot of the backend technical problems were fixed. The launch was absolutely horrendous. MW2 had a more intuitive matchmaking system, and it made it easier to play with a large party. Then of course, there's the lack of dedicated servers, which always sucks. One other thing, BC2 looks AMAZING. The Frostbite engine, while it is lacking in certain areas, doesn't skimp on the graphics. Plus destructible environment = a lot of fun.

All in all, I'd chose based on what you think you'd like. If you love team-work oriented games, BC2 is your game. If you're a 'lone wolf', MW2 is more your fare.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:51 AM   #6
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
And Bridget is very much correct that MW2 is more of a 'who sees who first' type game. I found it difficult to keep a good KD/Ratio without camping.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:11 AM   #7
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

I didn't even realize Bridget wrote that dissertation. I'm so used to sarcastic trolling from that end, lol.

But after reading what you guys said and reading other things on the web, I think I'm leaning towards BC2 myself as well. I'm not a lone woofer, I'd rather play passenger with a .50cal on a jeep than sit in a corner, wasting nubs.

You are a pirate!

Old 04-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

I'd go BC2 all the way. Sniping is BC2 is very fun with a precision gun. Once you understand that bullets have travel time and that they fall with distance, you get to own ppl with headshots big time.
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Playing MW2 or any other game for the free weekend, especially after everyone has jumped on the BF2 bandwagon is definitely not showing a true representation of how MW2 is. Imagine playing FF for a weekend then going to TF2 because it looks prettier.

Anyway, I haven't played BF2 yet, but I definitely want to pick it up or at least get it on gamefly and play for a couple months.

I like MW2 a lot, the perks to me are pretty well balanced. I know there have been times where I wish I could have both the marathon and slight of hand perks at the same time, but other than that, the perks are pretty solid. Some are a bit useless, especially the higher level perks like last stand or higher explosive damage. To me, those should've been accessible at lower levels and perks like cold blooded and marathon should've been accessible at higher levels.

As far as online gameplay is concerned, one of my only irks is the shitty spawn system. I occasionally spawn in an area where an enemy is just around the corner and by the time I start running, they're right there, and it sucks dying right when you spawn, there's no doubt about it, so I hope BF2 can be better in that respect.

Other than that, I pretty much love the multiplayer on MW2. One free weekend is nowhere near enough time to level up and actually start having fun with the game. Once you get cold blooded and ninja, it becomes VERY fun and quite addictive.

I don't like how I don't have a Mute All, except for those in my party, option. But it's simple enough to go thru and mute everyone else in a few seconds.

I also have played this on PS3 and PC, and I will say that even though I typically hate shooters for the PS3, I do have more fun there than on my PC. It seems some of the control setup is funky compared to the console version. Don't get me wrong, I probably do better on PC than PS3, however that would then be the same for most people, so it's still a level playing field.

If I were to suggest one over the other, I would definitely suggest you get it for the PS3 or Xbox 360.

Also, the single player modes are pretty enticing, especially when I get bored with multiplayer. The story is pretty basic, someone with a grudge gets ahold of some weapons and decides to declare war, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Favorite part was sniping people from a fast food place haha.

I like the point system in the multiplayer as well. Helps make leveling up not as much of a chore.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
Playa_FF

Class/Position: Solly/ Engy D
Gametype: O v. D
Mw2 isn't a "who see who first" it can be at times, but it generally isnt that way most of the time. It could be different for me tho because i was an actually league player. But i don't camp at all, I walk out each game, if Ive been playing for a while, with like 25+ kill and like no more than 12 deaths. Not talking out of my ass right now. Ive gotten like 20 something nukes. What really helps in mw2 is knowing the spawn points, that's what will get you alot of kills. That and just your basic map knowledge is what gets you by in the call of duty games...been that way since the original Call of Duty. Probably wont change that either.

But Ive been playing ALOT of bc2 lately. Ive absolutely fell in love with the vehicles...

Id say go with bc2 overall tho.

And once you buy it feel free to stop by the Talos Server...

Old 04-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
tripleS!X

Class/Position: Scout Offense/ Soldier Defense/ Demo Defense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: / TALOS
Send a message via MSN to tripleS!X
I own both and I've dedicated 6 and a half days of my life to MW. But i have Spent about 5 with BC only becuase i just recently purchased it. I stupidly bought MW stimulus pack and got fuckin ripped off hard. So i pretty much dont touch MW. It's still a great game but it's the same old shit with diff maps and kill streaks. you can blow the shit outa walla and buildings and use vehicles in BC. I think its an obvious choice especially if u havent play BC yet. When u get an intense 16vs16 battle going shit is hard to put down. Not sure if u made ur decision yet but if u do choose BC stop by our server 68.232.175.240 is the ip. you can add me too ur friends too if u want DurT.TALOS.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #12
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

I'm gonna get BC2 as soon as classes are over for the semester. I cheated and purchased X3 even though I said I wouldn't, so now I've gotta wait.

But the Talos shit sounds just like I like it - fun, friendly and organized. I never mind losing but I hate losing when its because my team are fucktards setting on a building with a sniper rifle rather than capping points and helping the team. Of course, snipers are useful, but when 12 out of 16 are doing it, it blows, lol.

Ahh, I remember the days of BF1942. I couldn't even get a tank out of the barn most of the time because of the dive bombers. Never did learn how the hell they hit that accurately.

You are a pirate!

Old 04-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
Playa_FF

Class/Position: Solly/ Engy D
Gametype: O v. D
Dude I was one of those guys... I fell in love with the airplay in the BF series. Ill have to brag about myself, whenever ive been playing for a while, 3-4hours, and i have a good gunner we would go like 79-8, I am a VERY good pilot. Always have been in the BF games.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #14
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
BC2 is way better then MW2!
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2010, 10:26 PM   #15
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa_FF View Post
Dude I was one of those guys... I fell in love with the airplay in the BF series. Ill have to brag about myself, whenever ive been playing for a while, 3-4hours, and i have a good gunner we would go like 79-8, I am a VERY good pilot. Always have been in the BF games.
Well then, you will have to teach me your secrets. The bots always kick my ass in dogfights in BF2 but I think its because you can't kill them in planes unless its with hitscan weapons, in general anyways. 8 missiles and 800~ rounds and he turns on a dime, fires one sidewinder and I'm waiting for the respawn queue.

I can pilot a chopper pretty well though, for a noob.

You are a pirate!