Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2008, 05:18 AM   #1
slay2rr

Class/Position: Pyro
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Should FF evolve or stick to TFC

Fortress Forever was a HL2 mod for TFC, which is meant to stick to the tradition gameplay of Fortress. But really although the gameplay is good it is a 10 year-old gameplay and might not be what new gamers are looking for.

Now one thing I disagree with is that FF should focus on vets, that is completely wrong, no matter what game it can not live on only experienced players. And FF needs to attract new players, as that is the only way for the play base to grow. And ATM the play base is quite low, compared to other sourcemods.

I believe Fortress Forever is meant to be a Team Fortress experience for source engine, not just TFC:S. FF need to evolve, But i feel FF's current state as being stuck between those who want a TFC:S (same everything as TFC) and those who want to FF to become something of its own.

I think the Devs have done a great job introducing the man cannon and shortening blue pipes fuse, I don't understand why people are complaining so much. But at the same time as new ideas are put in, there are many that have been shot down which i think were not game breaking to introduce, such as the 3-slot system, this is not a rip-off of TF2, there are heaps of games that have it, just because TF2 doesn't mean it is bad for FF. FF shouldn't be a anti-everything-TF2, they are both fortress games, so it is almost impossible to make them completely different.

FF is meant to be the next generation of Fortress games, so if a idea is bad it should be given a proper reason, not something like It doesn't stay true to Fortress, because in truth you don't know what Fortress is.

Fortress is evolving, so should FF, because if we don't we'll eventually be extinct.
slay2rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2008, 05:23 AM   #2
Hirohito
The last true Emperor
D&A Member
Wiki Team

It should grind in the Unknown Dungeon for a few hours so that it can properly evolve. Rare Candies stunt stat growth.
Hirohito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
leilei
o^_^o

Class/Position: O
ff should evolve to fortv1_0.zip
leilei is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

Class/Position: Scout, Spy, Sniper
Currently, I think FF is stuck between staying 'true' to TFC and creating it's own identity, which has me questioning certain decisions occasionally. Personally, I'd say either break from the TFC/fortress standard and start experimenting with things on a bigger scale(without dropping the fortress theme ofc) or stick to the old fortress feeling we all know, only with prettier graphics.
v3rtigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
s0undch4s3r
The guy you love to hate.

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
yes...graphics...it's all about the graphics mostly.

As far a game play, I think it could go differently from the old TFC style. Do something to get a bigger player base. There's a lot of potential for this mod.
s0undch4s3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
I'm enjoying the gameplay for the most part. There are kinks that need to be worked out, things that need to be adjusted, and maps that need to be made, but other than that, all I can see that really needs attention is the graphical side of things, and even that is not too big of a deal for me.

Possibly TFC models used in FF? I wouldn't mind going old school for a while.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
I'm enjoying the gameplay for the most part. There are kinks that need to be worked out, things that need to be adjusted, and maps that need to be made, but other than that, all I can see that really needs attention is the graphical side of things, and even that is not too big of a deal for me.

Now that I've actually played it some I have to say I'm enjoying it. With as much time as I've spent away from the Fortress arena my rustiness makes me laugh...loudly! There is much that does remind me of TFC and I think that is a good thing. I will say that I miss having 4 MIRVS as in the early versions of TFC...

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #8
dys
I am the nip to your bud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg

qft!

The game really is a lot of fun to play, Once the tweaks are made it will be that much better. No doubt there's a need for increased publicity and I do think it's seriously lacking there, but w/e. As long as I can get on and have fun it doesn't bother me that much. Anyways, to repeat myself, I really like the game and think it's fun to play.
dys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
zE
Pew pew ze beams

Gametype: Gathers
Affiliations: pew pew
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slay2rr
Now one thing I disagree with is that FF should focus on vets, that is completely wrong, no matter what game it can not live on only experienced players.
If FF has so focus on vets it would be = to tfc with improved graphics tbh. I really think FF its a lot more newbie friendly than tfc... concing,bunnyhoping,sliding,aim conced etc etc etc. Wich i dont really like but i can live with it.
zE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2008, 10:16 PM   #10
bokko
when ff will out?
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slay2rr
I believe Fortress Forever is meant to be a Team Fortress experience for source engine, not just TFC:S. FF need to evolve, But i feel FF's current state as being stuck between those who want a TFC:S (same everything as TFC) and those who want to FF to become something of its own.
If we are to over-simplify and label people I would rather split the community into A, those who want to improve the classic TF gameplay, and B, those who want to make FF into a TF2 clone. Obvious examples of of the latter: removing grenades, making the medic into a supportive class, the instant valve release a new game mode they want it converted into FF. These ideas are not in line with the classic TF gameplay, they're not elaborated, they're just taken off TF2!

Evolve does not necessarily mean doing what valve did with TF2, this is usually where people will disagree (although some are not able to come to terms with this). Evolving can also be done in accordance with the classic Team Fortress gameplay, and I think you will find this is what is being done now. Obviously we're not seeing much change right now but this is understandable considering the absense of developpers actually committing to the mod.
bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #11
zE
Pew pew ze beams

Gametype: Gathers
Affiliations: pew pew
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Tbh FF is fine as it is, the problem is not the gameplay on it, the majority of plp likes the gameplay as it is atm.

I see some new plp tryng FF almost everyday, and a lot of them like the mode a lot.

The problem is that when they return they only find empty servers,and a tiny comunity.

Thats the main problem with FF in my opion, cuse nobody wants to start to play a mode that as no comunity.

We need to put this on steam!

Clanstyle comunity is already dead in europe, and pub scene also very weak.
zE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #12
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
We need the perception that people are playing...we need the bots.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #13
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
We need the perception that people are playing...we need the bots.
We also need some kind of plausible deniability...like a singleplayer mode (and not just essentially playing the same MP shit but with bots), hint hint...
trepid_jon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #14
Blueiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by trepid_jon
We also need some kind of plausible deniability...like a singleplayer mode (and not just essentially playing the same MP shit but with bots), hint hint...
Bruce Willis starring in Fortress Forever, the single player campaign?
Yes?No? Moar hints?
Blueiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2008, 12:40 AM   #15
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trepid_jon
I'd like to see something like the single player mode offered in Unreal Tournament...I think it'd be a chance to teach people how to play particular classes and just add some depth
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #16
Damascus
Comic Artist
D&A Member

Your opinion, really.

Just look at TF2, and then decide. Orrr.... you can look at the problems of TF2 and make the "evolved" FF fix those problems.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #17
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
so, is skimming when you land from a conc jump, and keep crouch jumping? down a ramp makes you go fast too. is that something else?
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #18
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
You don't need to crouch jump, you just need to keep using air control.

Gaining speed down ramps is "reverse trimping" or "downward trimping."

Old 05-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #19
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
if TF2 had the same gameplay of TFC it would had a huge sucess as well. Its more a matter of resources, design, publicity.
I totally agree, I think this is TFC saw such a large player base in the past as well. It became part of a mandatory patch, not just an extra mod.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2008, 12:49 AM   #20
Blueiii

I agree with most of what is on here. To me the FF focus on CTF gameplay focuses too much on veterans and "pros" of the game. This leaves all the new players confused when they start doing what they normally do in other games, which is kill anybody on the other team, even if is in the middle of the yard or near the respawn or driveway, dressing room, wherever its not "allowed". So what should be done? Change that a little bit. Keep the same concept of marching into enemy territory and taking their pride and joy which is their flag, but have it done with less confusion. Maybe instead of two bases with two teams, two offenses, two defenses, simplify it and have one base, with a defensive team, and a respawn area/small base for the offensive team. Yes its kinda like AvD but on CTF based gameplay. After a certain amount of time/caps the teams would switch, the defense would attack and the offense would defend. You can take something away, like a base, but still stay true to the original.
Just throwing in an idea, feel free to criticize/bash/tellmetonotfixwhatisntbroken/flame/whatever.
Blueiii is offline   Reply With Quote