Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > Server Administration

Old 09-14-2007, 05:19 AM   #1
Roach
SourceMod User

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to Roach
Server Admin Management w/ FF

Greetings!

I know this is my first post here, but I wanted to give the community a heads up on this since it will come in handy down the road.

I'm Roach and I help out the people who bring you MetaMod, Sourcemod, and AMXx.

First off, Devs, Great Job on Fortress Forever! For me, this will be the TF mod I play! Major Kudo's to you.

Second off:

Server Admin Management and Server add-on plugins CAN be regulated via Metamod: Source and SourceMod for Fortress Forever! I did some server load tests and you won't see massive lag on your servers due to this third party admin system.

Although Sourcemod is in beta, it is still very functional. You might get SOME errors on some commands like slap, slay, etc etc, HOWEVER, as time goes on and FF include files are added into Sourcemod (which will probably take very little time) you will see these become eliminated.

That being said, at the current moment only BASIC commands can be done through Sourcemod (kick, ban, slap, slay, tsay, csay, etc). However, as time goes on, the mod progresses, and information is discovered and exchanged between FF and SM, you will see plugins for FF begin to show up.

Mods, don't take this as an advertising post. Obviously the owners of each server can use whatever they want to manage their admins, but I thought this might be of interest to those owners who have multiple users.

If there are any questions please don't hesitate to ask. #sourcemod on irc.gamesurge.net or ask on our forums: http://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=52.

Congratulations on a great job dev's and HAPPY FRAGGING!

-Roach`
AlliedModders LLC Beta Tester

Last edited by Roach; 09-14-2007 at 06:14 AM.
Roach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2007, 06:31 AM   #2
supermj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach
Greetings!

I know this is my first post here, but I wanted to give the community a heads up on this since it will come in handy down the road.

I'm Roach and I help out the people who bring you MetaMod, Sourcemod, and AMXx.

First off, Devs, Great Job on Fortress Forever! For me, this will be the TF mod I play! Major Kudo's to you.

Second off:

Server Admin Management and Server add-on plugins CAN be regulated via Metamod: Source and SourceMod for Fortress Forever! I did some server load tests and you won't see massive lag on your servers due to this third party admin system.

Although Sourcemod is in beta, it is still very functional. You might get SOME errors on some commands like slap, slay, etc etc, HOWEVER, as time goes on and FF include files are added into Sourcemod (which will probably take very little time) you will see these become eliminated.

That being said, at the current moment only BASIC commands can be done through Sourcemod (kick, ban, slap, slay, tsay, csay, etc). However, as time goes on, the mod progresses, and information is discovered and exchanged between FF and SM, you will see plugins for FF begin to show up.

Mods, don't take this as an advertising post. Obviously the owners of each server can use whatever they want to manage their admins, but I thought this might be of interest to those owners who have multiple users.

If there are any questions please don't hesitate to ask. #sourcemod on irc.gamesurge.net or ask on our forums: http://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=52.

Congratulations on a great job dev's and HAPPY FRAGGING!

-Roach`
AlliedModders LLC Beta Tester
High five to roach for his testing of mm-s and sm for ff...weeeeeee!!!
supermj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
supermj

I can now confirm source mod is working on ff. Let us know if we can help with anything!!!

Old 09-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #4
Roach
SourceMod User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzahut
Half off-topic, which admin plugins work (best) with FF atm? I know of these Source admin tools, probably there are tons more:

Basic Admin Plugin (for Metamod: Source aka SourceMM)
BeetlesMod
Mani Admin Plugin
SourceMod
MetaMod: Source is the inbetween layer that goes between the HL2 engine and any of those plugins (BeetlesMod, Mani, or SourceMod). For any of those modifications, MM:S has to be run as well.

That being said...it kinda comes down to personal preference. As far as server CPU usage goes, SourceMod uses very little because it is highly optimized. However, it is also the newest mod out on the block, and is still in beta. You very well might find some bugs and so forth with each release, although the SM team is VERY close to coming out with a Version 1.0 stable release.

I will say this, since FF is so new, many of the functions, calls, cvars, variables, and properties of the mod will not be familiar to ANY of those Admin Management systems. That being said, for the time being, if you are looking for a modification like Mani or Sourcemod, look for one that is going to assist you in managing your server with kicks, bans, slaps, slays, and enforcing rules, instead of adding in lots of fun plugins and so forth.

If you would like to see how optimized it truly is, and you are familiar with what Eventscripts is, read the following link.

http://www.sourcemod.net/bench_es.php

Old 09-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #5
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
a personal request: remove slap/slay and the other abusive functions altogether.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
The Old Timers Clan has been running Mani Mod using MetaMod Source under FF for a few days (started configuring it for FF before the release). It works well, and we keep it completely tone down (kick/ban/etc) and map voting.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #7
Roach
SourceMod User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
a personal request: remove slap/slay and the other abusive functions altogether.
Slap/Slay and the abusive functions are linked to certain flags that are given to users. To my knowledge this is linked to flag f, which is not shared by any other core function of ban, kick, etc...

As I am not the master developer of Sourcemod, I cannot remove slap/slay altogether from SourceMod, but I do understand where you are coming from. Abusive Admins are a PITA for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
The Old Timers Clan has been running Mani Mod using MetaMod Source under FF for a few days (started configuring it for FF before the release). It works well, and we keep it completely tone down (kick/ban/etc) and map voting.
Configuring Mani as in actually pulling things from the mod and so forth for coding, or just configuring Mani so that it works w/ FF and your admins?

Old 09-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #8
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
hey thats cool, just put it forward for me.

my thinking is that if someone's causing a problem, removing them from the server altogether is the way forward, be it a kick or ban. the aforementioned functions just promote frequent, improper use of force.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:21 PM   #9
t1mk1ll

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Basic Admin Plugin seems to work.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
Roach
SourceMod User

The bigger news, not so much that Sourcemod works is that Metamod:Source works with FF.

So long as MetaMod:Source works, you will be able to use Admin Backends like Mani and so forth

Old 09-15-2007, 01:51 AM   #11
SME
Damn lazy bastard

I run Mani, MM:S, Detox and Matties EventScripts. Not all of Mani's funtions work but, other than that, it seems stable.
SME is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2007, 02:32 AM   #12
BeetleFart

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
theres www.beetlesmod.com also...made it FF friendly..
though Im working on disabling commands that wont/dont work in FF

Old 09-15-2007, 03:17 AM   #13
supermj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetleFart
theres www.beetlesmod.com also...made it FF friendly..
though Im working on disabling commands that wont/dont work in FF
I have run beetle's in the past also and it was an excellent admin mod. Cheers to him for looking after the ffers!!!

Old 09-15-2007, 02:02 PM   #14
FoZzY25

i know you said it doesnt cause much more lag, but has anyone done the test to see how much more lag it really causes? right now my server is running GREAT! Just curious if anyone has had any problems with these mods on ff yet?...

which mod is the best to use right now?
FoZzY25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #15
Roach
SourceMod User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoZzY25
i know you said it doesnt cause much more lag, but has anyone done the test to see how much more lag it really causes? right now my server is running GREAT! Just curious if anyone has had any problems with these mods on ff yet?...

which mod is the best to use right now?
Its all down to user choice really. I can only speak for SourceMod, and I know that with the way that it is optimized it uses very very few CPU cycles per command.

As of right now Fozzy you are only looking at having your basic commands though, (kick, ban, admin messages, etc), so you really wont be running anything that will cause any lag to players unless you are REALLY hammering on the admin messages and flooding the server, and even then thats INCREDIBLY difficult to do.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:15 PM   #16
Mrbbad
tf2.org Gnome Wrangler

I'm running sourcemod on my server -- working fine -- I can't wait to see some FF specific plug-ins.
Mrbbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 03:25 AM   #17
FoZzY25

ill go with source mod also...

Thanx guys
FoZzY25 is offline   Reply With Quote