Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > FF Technical Support

Old 09-19-2007, 09:27 PM   #41
Donny
Community Mapper&Idiot

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I find it weard that Steam crash troubleshoot says my drivers are old, but when I download the updated drivers from nVIDIA, it still says that they are old.
I cant even find the old drivers to uninstall. Games run fine until they freeze on steam.
Donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2007, 12:28 AM   #42
Skipants

Good news. The BIOS problem was a hardware problem... however, now that I have 7.9 Cat drivers installed properly, FF opens and then promptly closes after my monitor makes some clicking noises... I just installed the new Steam update as of 09/20/07 so let's see if anything works now.

EDIT: Nope... FF still crashing to desktop immediately. And so is CS:S... Jeez Louise....

EDIT AGAIN: Good news... went back to 7.7 drivers and it's working great again. The only reason I went to 7.9 from 7.7 was to maybe get a little bit of a performance boost, but I'm quite happy with the 7.7 drivers. Running a 9800 ALL-IN-WONDER by the way.

Last edited by Skipants; 09-21-2007 at 01:02 AM.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:09 AM   #43
blaster

I have a question. I run an ATI radeon Xpress 200 series card on this computer. After I started running the game I realised a problem with connecting. Couldn't connect to any servers and it would lock up when sending client info. I updated the video card to the new version (ATI came out with new drivers recently).
I installed the driver and was finally able to connect to a server. It still can take 5 minutes to connect which is pretty horrible, but this computer has a horrible graphics card and RAM period. Anyway, After playing on a server for a few minutes I will lock up. The lockups almost appear to be random and the audio loops over and over. Usually it involves having to unplug the computer and do a clean boot just to get back into windows.
Today I created a server and was testing out my binds on dustbowl. Everything was fine until I captured CP1. As soon as it happened, the lady's voice looped over and over and game crashed again. I'm starting to wonder if this isn't a sound issue. Last time it happened I was on 2fort and it happened when I fired my shotty. The sound looped and game crashed. Not sure yet but I'm gonna try updating the soundcard stuff as well tonite.

i ran the source engine SDK base in an effort to test this ATI video card with the HL2 source engine. Everything worked fine. No crashes or anything. Only problem was that the FPS was really low. Even with low shading, low model detail, etc.. I still had under 20 FPS... Not sure how to fix this problem either other than get a new comp.

I run:

Windows XP Home
3200+ athlon 64 processor
512MB RAM
ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series

-ChriS

Old 09-22-2007, 05:50 AM   #44
NoPriz

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
FF still running like complete crap.

other games on steam working fine, but within minutes of playing FF, it locks up with the good ol HL2.EXE crash error.

Getting extremelly frustrated that i have not been able to play this for coming on two days now
NoPriz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2007, 09:41 PM   #45
Skipants

I'm getting the HL.exe crash as well... but it doesn't usually happen right away. I could play a couple map changes before it does.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:56 PM   #46
redned

Maybe people should post what works:
My system hasnt so far experienced crashing (touch wood) cept when alt tabbing.
Here's my system and drivers that seem stable and produce 150+fps at even the most spammy times:
Q6600 Quad Core SLACR 95w proc
EVGA 122-CK-NF68 mobo, all drivers stock from cd, bios was updated to cover the SLACR processor.
Onboard 7.1 Sound realtek standard cd install
XFX 7900GTO running 6.14.10.9424 (tried newer and they crashed this is best version i found after about 5-6 attempts)
Sata2 hds and burner, onboard nic etc.

I did find one issue with constantly playing hl2 mods, i had to take off the gpu fan and re-compound it with arctic silver and clean fans fully to stop texture tearing and odd entities from overheating.

ps nothing atm is overclocked.

ned
redned is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 04:09 PM   #47
Gigiya

Sucks that I can't get updated vid card drivers because I'm confined to using Dell's that are over a year old.
Gigiya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 05:37 PM   #48
Guerilla

i have a bunch of mdmp files here in a zip file for the devs to check out i duno how to read em or open em up or anything but here ya go, good luck fixing this annoying sob

Click here to download crashlogs.zip

Old 10-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #49
PussyHunter
Proper bo!

My system was lagging out upon joining a server. Once joining a team my ping would shoot up to 2000 & then it'd disconnect.

I eventually worked out that HDR was causing it, & disabling this fixed (worked-around) the problem.

I have an ATI X1950 Pro, & was using the 7.9 drivers.

I have since fixed the problem completely by removing the Ati drivers (using the procedure at the top of this thread), & installing the latest Omega drivers instead.

PussyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 12:01 AM   #50
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

I have no problems with any game but ff, after a couple of maps it crashes, the sounds start to loop for 1 or 2 seconds and takes me back to windows...

My drivers are the last ones and i have tried all the things such as defrag my disc and nuke old dirivers and blah blah but after a couple of maps it just crashes, isnt that of a big deal but if im on a match and it happens well... i want to avoid that.
GhostBuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2007, 09:18 PM   #51
slserpent

just thought i'd weigh in with what fixed my lockups. i had made a change to the PagedPoolSize memory management parameter to keep Stalker from locking up, but that apparently made source engine games lock up. so i forced a size of 384MB and that seems to have kept the most frequent lockups from occurring. just google pagedpoolsize and you'll find more tips about what you should set it to and how.

some occasional locking was fixed further by lowering the sound acceleration in dxdiag.

updating and cleaning out drivers didn't do shit for me and they actually made things worse for my old 9600XT. don't update passed 7.6 (for now?) if you have an AGP video card. ati/amd may be phasing out these cards in their drivers now.

hope this helps some poor soul lacking ff goodness.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #52
Deja Vu

The crashing/freezing/sound looping problem that I was experiencing went away the second I removed the Catalyst Control Center. I'd suggest other people trying the same.
Deja Vu is offline   Reply With Quote