Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > FF Technical Support

Old 09-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #21
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderknight
Does anyone with Nvidia drivers know how to uninstall them?

I see it in my Add/remove programs list... Here goes everything.

You might get some info from:

Nvidia Forceware Tweak Guide
http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.html

I'll see what video driver uninstall programs I can find today.
4est is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #22
PoMo

AXP 3200+, 1GB DDR1, Powercolor 256MB X1950PRO AGP, SB Live! Value.

Had issues with crashing after about 2 mins. Set all graphics, models, textures to medium, set sound to medium can now play pretty much indefinitely. Exiting the game, tho, caused a spontaneous reboot. :\

I had lots of driver issues (even with a fresh XP install) eventually got 3DMark to run with Powercolor/Tul's drivers dated about 3/07. Latest Catalysts wouldn't even let 3DMark run. Bloody drivers!
PoMo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2007, 07:09 PM   #23
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
ATI users also need to ensure they have the all the latest .NET framework stuff installed via Windows/Microsoft Update.
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2007, 11:21 PM   #24
PoMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dospac
ATI users also need to ensure they have the all the latest .NET framework stuff installed via Windows/Microsoft Update.
Indeed. A .net update helped me install the CCC without a crash. Still, I played about 2 hours of HL2 without incident (yay!) but FF crashes at random in some maps, some of the time.
PoMo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 07:05 AM   #25
Barret80

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Did this twice and it still crashes on me with the damn looping sounds. This is the only game to do this too me continously. I've had it happen in other games but not for a long time.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:54 AM   #26
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barret80
Did this twice and it still crashes on me with the damn looping sounds. This is the only game to do this too me continously. I've had it happen in other games but not for a long time.
Have you tried running in windows mode? It's in the game options.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:09 AM   #27
dr.flexyjerkov

I can play fine but my mate can't and I think it may be due to the dreaded loopback sound problem. Whenever he crashes it is with a loopback playing.

Widely discussed here>>> http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...=looping+crash

People with on board sound tend to suffer but my dedicated card is fine.

Last edited by dr.flexyjerkov; 09-16-2007 at 03:01 PM.
dr.flexyjerkov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 11:18 AM   #28
raneksi

Quote:
I have exactly the same problem. Crashes with looping sounds, and also when changing map.

ATI radeon x850 xt, ASUS A8N-SLI

Old 09-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #29
BumGravy
Black Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.flexyjerkov
I can play fine but my mate can't and I think it may be due to the dreaded loopback sound problem. Whenever he crashes it is with a loopback playing.

Widely discussed here>>> http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...ooping+ crash

People with on board sound tend to suffer but my dedicated card is fine.
looks like the exact same problem in both these threads. after trying everything mentioned in these threads i got it to work for about an hour without crashing yesterday, and about 5 minutes today. very frustrating. ive not tried running it windowed or updateing my .net files yet tho
BumGravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #30
nautika

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumGravy
looks like the exact same problem in both these threads. after trying everything mentioned in these threads i got it to work for about an hour without crashing yesterday, and about 5 minutes today. very frustrating. ive not tried running it windowed or updateing my .net files yet tho
as far as i know, running it windowed does not help. i tried running it windowed so i can kill it when it crashes...but it just locks up my whole system. i haven't tried updating the .net yet so i'm not sure on that

Old 09-16-2007, 04:52 PM   #31
BumGravy
Black Cyclops

ok ive tried everything suggested including updating the windows net files and running in wondowed mode (lagier, but still playable). Crashed again after x amount of time playing.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:26 PM   #32
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Also reference this thread:

http://www.fortress-forever.com/foru...ad.php?t=11141

Bum I don't know if you have any old drivers on your comp or not.. maybe from an older vid or sound card from a different manufacturer than you presently have? If so, NUKE them all.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:39 AM   #33
Barret80

I tried running it in windows mode and still crashes..

Also whenever it goes to the map ff_hunted it crashes hard. It always turns my whole computer off and when i turn it back on it says windows has recovered from a serious error whenever playing that map. Its whenever i select my class in that map and then boom it goes to hell.

I love the game, I just wish I didn't crash all the time. I don't quite understand why it is always crashing, never had such a problem with any games like this.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:04 AM   #34
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
I tried running it in windows mode and still crashes..

Also whenever it goes to the map ff_hunted it crashes hard. It always turns my whole computer off and when i turn it back on it says windows has recovered from a serious error whenever playing that map. Its whenever i select my class in that map and then boom it goes to hell.

I love the game, I just wish I didn't crash all the time. I don't quite understand why it is always crashing, never had such a problem with any games like this.
It's not just us: http://www.fortress-forever.com/foru...ad.php?t=11149

I think we were smacked down by bad timing that synced up with an incredibly bad STEAM update.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:33 AM   #35
raidyr

I got the 7.9 ATI drivers last week (needed for the ETQW demo), and I still crash.
raidyr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 01:36 AM   #36
SizeableSSonic
Joystick Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Engineer or Sniper
Gametype: CTF
Send a message via AIM to SizeableSSonic Send a message via MSN to SizeableSSonic
Does this fix the driver not responding problem on Vista?

Old 09-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #37
BumGravy
Black Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
ok ive tried everything suggested including updating the windows net files and running in wondowed mode (lagier, but still playable). Crashed again after x amount of time playing.
Ok yesterday i played some more, and crashes very little. My advice is update all your shit and keep your settings low and you are less likely to crash. I only crashed a couple of times yesterday but was mostly stable. On our other PC however, which is much better, FF still hasnt crashed since release

Old 09-18-2007, 03:03 PM   #38
wmk51

I spoke with a FF Developer

Hello people,

I, like many, hit these forums when my PC would get the loopback crash for no reason in Fortress Forever. I uninstalled my video drivers, updated them, updated my chipset, nothing worked. I got onto IRC and messaged an admin in #FortressForever and his reccomendation WORKED for me.

He asked me "What setting do you have player model on?" I looked and told him "Medium".

He said that close to 70% of people's crashes are due to this. He said "Set your player model detail to high, and compensate by lowering other options"

Low and behold i tried this and was able to play for about 40 minutes with no hiccups. I reccomend everyone try this and see if it works.

My specs:

AMD Clawhammer 3500+
Foxcom Motherboard
X800 Pro PCI Express
768 Meg of shitty RAM

-WMK

Old 09-19-2007, 04:45 AM   #39
Skipants

Ah great... First off, I used that driver cleaner and cleaned out my drivers. Then, I tried to install 7.9 cat drivers for my 9800 All in Wonder... and the installer kept giving me some kind of "can not detect hardware for your drivers," so I tried the 7.8 drivers. The first part of the drivers gave me that same error, so I installed the next part... the WDM part. Those worked and told me to restart my computer, which I did.

Now, when I start up, my computer beeps like a jerk and then goes straight to BIOS. I tried switching the boot order to make CD ROM go first to try and use system restore with my Windows XP disk, but it still goes to BIOS.

Any suggestions? (Besides buying a Mac... which I'll probably do soon anyways.)

Old 09-19-2007, 06:34 AM   #40
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipants
Ah great... First off, I used that driver cleaner and cleaned out my drivers. Then, I tried to install 7.9 cat drivers for my 9800 All in Wonder... and the installer kept giving me some kind of "can not detect hardware for your drivers," so I tried the 7.8 drivers. The first part of the drivers gave me that same error, so I installed the next part... the WDM part. Those worked and told me to restart my computer, which I did.

Now, when I start up, my computer beeps like a jerk and then goes straight to BIOS. I tried switching the boot order to make CD ROM go first to try and use system restore with my Windows XP disk, but it still goes to BIOS.

Any suggestions? (Besides buying a Mac... which I'll probably do soon anyways.)
Those are beep codes you are getting. (hopefully) How many beeps?