Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 11-01-2005, 03:12 AM   #1
o_sugii

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Community Map (Updated: December 20, 2005)

Map origionally inspired by: click here

I have had the idea of starting an opensource type map for awhile now, but never really got around to it now. I wanted to do this because I am not the best mapper in the world but I have always wanted to create a map. This is a good way for the FF community to give ideas and suggestions to what they think would be a cool map. So why not?

RULES: (these rules are not final, just trying to get the feel on how this will work before more guidelines are added)
Editing:
1. Everything you add or edit must be put into a visgroup with your name as the visgroup.
2. If you edit someone else's work, add the modifications to your visgroup without removing the other checks.

Posting:
1. Upload your .vmf in .zip format.
2. Explain what you have added/edited in a list. (make it as detailed as possible)
3. Screenshots are a plus but not required.

Current list:
Send me a private message if you want your name added.
1. Completed 10/31/05 - Sugii
2. Completed 11/02/05 - Sh4x
3. Completed 11/08/05 - Sugii
3. Completed 11/09/05 - Sh4x
5. Completed 12/20/05 - Ickby

Update: December 20, 2005
Created some basic structure for ramps between the upper and lower levels on the right hand side of the base.
Created a few windows and some lights.
Placed one env_cubemap to help with aesthetics for the compile.
Paced all my work in a new vis-group.
Compiled and built cubemaps, included the .bsp so you can have a look round.

Update: November 18, 2005 (Page 4)
Posted progress screenshots of the lower level, no alpha release.

Update: November 9, 2005 (Page 4)
Put the basic map layout in paint
Built the 2 upper corridors on respawn's sides to enter/escape the base
Built part of the front of the base touching the upper corridors

Update: November 8, 2005
Reconstructed my part of the map for textures and brush fixes.
Made a simple flag room for people to work off of.

Update: November 2, 2005
Sh4x started work on the flagroom respawn.
Screenshots on page 2.

Update: November 1, 2005
New rules, and the alpha 1 release now has personal visgroups.

Update: October 31, 2005
First release. The map is a securty style map, if you don't like this idea please speak up. This is just to get things started off, nothing is set in stone. The name of the map is still yet to be decided. Please don't laugh at my mapping skills!
o_sugii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2005, 03:43 AM   #2
o_tennovan

Actually, I think thats a really badass idea. Having a map started by someone, then the next person adds something, then another and another until its finished. It could be called ff_community or something.
o_tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2005, 03:45 AM   #3
o_shadow34721

i have a feeling such a map would utterly fail to produce a theme, ambience, or coherent design/layout
o_shadow34721 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2005, 03:55 AM   #4
o_tennovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow34721
i have a feeling such a map would utterly fail to produce a theme, ambience, or coherent design/layout
Yeah but i'd play it cuz I put a light in the spawn damnit.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:06 AM   #5
o_sugii

I think it could work out, we just need to figure out a way to produce updates and how to incorporate other people's additions. Like shadow said, I think we should decide on a theme as community, and I also think we should make guidelines to what would be accepted to better control what gets added or not. But once things start to take off I think we could pull something togeather.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:30 AM   #6
o_sobe green

I can hook you up with some hosting if you'd like. Free of charge, unlimited space.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2005, 04:34 AM   #7
o_kam

Open source mapping would be interesting. Reminds me of a wiki a bit.
People could put their work (new brush work, optimising others brush work etc.) in different vis groups etc.
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2005, 04:44 AM   #8
o_nezumi

We'd have to make sure that only one person at a time is working on it, or at least that only one person is working on each part. Things'd get awkward if two people were making the same spawn room or something.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2005, 04:44 AM   #9
o_tennovan

Yeah I can host too. Someone builds, and then i can rehost the new file.

Old 11-01-2005, 05:22 AM   #10
o_sugii

ALPHA 1

I just released the first alpha verson. Its a start I guess, nothing much at all...TEXTURES NEEDED

The idea right now is a security type map. In order to capture the enemy flag you have to enter their base and turn off the security to retrieve the flag then run back to your base for the capture.

The layout: (this is subject to change, please post your ideas!)
Pictures are on the first post in this topic.
1. The top level is the flag room, there is a big hole in the middle of the room with a trap door. When the security is turned off the trap door will open giving the flag holder easier access to the main lobby to escape the base.
2. This is where I am thinking spawns and a sniper nest could be placed.
3. This is the lobby.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:27 AM   #11
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Interesting idea.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:48 AM   #12
o_ivaqual

I look forward to the results, it could either be a trainwreck of a map or something pretty cool. If there is one thing to be done first of anything it's to decide wether it's A/D, CTF, etc..
o_ivaqual is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2005, 12:34 PM   #13
o_ohcanep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagual678
I look forward to the results, it could either be a trainwreck of a map or something pretty cool. If there is one thing to be done first of anything it's to decide wether it's A/D, CTF, etc..
He already claimed that the map will be CTF.
o_ohcanep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2005, 03:14 PM   #14
o_tennovan

The fact that you totally editted your first post/topic after you had around 8 replies makes the first reply or two (mainly mine) sound repetitive and stupid. Basically, you took a thread about a map you wanted to build and changed it to a thread about open source mapping which kinda came about throughout the thread, and not in your original post.

Its just very annoying seeing all our posts after your first go to shit because you decided you had this grand idea (you didn't).

Old 11-01-2005, 04:04 PM   #15
o_sugii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennovan
The fact that you totally editted your first post/topic after you had around 8 replies makes the first reply or two (mainly mine) sound repetitive and stupid. Basically, you took a thread about a map you wanted to build and changed it to a thread about open source mapping which kinda came about throughout the thread, and not in your original post.

Its just very annoying seeing all our posts after your first go to shit because you decided you had this grand idea (you didn't).
I edited the first topic because I believed that what I said before didnt really give much information. And if you remember, I did say that I was going to make an opensource map to begin with. It all says the same thing it did before, I just rewrote it so people could understand the concept better. And what I chaged didnt deviate from what I said before I edited it, so I really dont see where you are coming from when you say your replys went to shit. I just think you got it in your head that this map would be started by someone and then passed on, which is not what I had in mind.
(I'm not trying to start a fight here either)

Old 11-01-2005, 04:17 PM   #16
o_tennovan

No no, sorry if I came across like that. Just saying, after reading some of the posts over, they kinda don't even go with your edited post. Woulda just made more sense to continue posting in the thread like usual instead of editing the original post when you already had 8 replies.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:21 PM   #17
o_sugii

I was thinking that if I kept editing the first post with updates that it would be easier for people to find updated information without having to surf through this topic (if and when it grows big). So there inlies the problem of canceling out some of the replys to an outdated update. I'm just trying to be more efficient with this thats all.

But anyway! Looks like no one has replyed to the alpha 1 post I made, is it that bad?
EDIT: I just now figured out that when you clicked the link to download it wouldnt work, so now all updates will come in .zip form.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:55 PM   #18
o_sh4x

Sugii, you need to make the rules clearer and implement some kind of way to work.

Best idea so far is the one with the visgroups.

Let's say I add something to the map, I make a visgroup called Sh4x and everything I make has to be in the Sh4x visgroup.

The cool thing about visgroup is if there are 2 ppl working on the same object, it can be flagged with the 2 visgroups.

I'll have a go at it tonight.
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2005, 05:07 PM   #19
o_sugii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x
Sugii, you need to make the rules clearer and implement some kind of way to work.

Best idea so far is the one with the visgroups.

Let's say I add something to the map, I make a visgroup called Sh4x and everything I make has to be in the Sh4x visgroup.

The cool thing about visgroup is if there are 2 ppl working on the same object, it can be flagged with the 2 visgroups.
Yeah that is a good idea. I say we should make rules for different catigorys, ie..

Editing:
1. Everything you add or edit must be put into a visgroup with your name as the visgroup.

Posting:
1. Upload your map as .zip format.
2. Explain what you have added/edited in a list. (make it as detailed as possible)
3. Screenshots are a plus but not required.

So far so good?

Old 11-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #20
o_sh4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x

Editing:
2. If you edit someone else's work, add the modifications to your visgroup without removing the other checks.
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote