Old 02-03-2015, 09:20 AM   #1
iAmaNoob
The Solid One

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Team Fortress 2 Classic

Shameless copy-paste from other thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNotFound View Post

Have you ever felt uncertain about the direction TF2 is heading in? Or perhaps been disappointed that Valve hasn't given this game the attention it deserves? Never fret, your worries have been assuaged - our team has begun work on a community-driven edition of Team Fortress 2!

Continuing from the intro above, Team Fortress 2 Classic is exactly what was stated above: a community-made mod using the 2008 leaked Source Code. This mod aims to bring not only scrapped features back, but also add in new, never before seen features.

This mod began life after the release of the Orange Box Team Fortress 2 v1.0.0.9 client/server. While the v1.0.0.9 client brings players back to the early days of Team Fortress 2, it is very limited in the amount of customization one can do. While you can customize the HUD and skins and whatnot, there's no real way to add in new content.

That's where Team Fortress 2 Classic comes in.

While I do enjoy the kind words that many of you have given me, I have to chuckle because this isn't my project. Give your praise to Danielmm8888, as without him this wouldn't exist!

Danielmm8888 - Coder, creator of this project. This wouldn't exist without him.
404: User Not Found - I made dis thread and I'mma gonna try to learn how to compile the game so I can try my hand at pushing out a patch or two here and there. Who knows!
MacD11 - Coder (he even released a patch!)
MrModez - Coder

TheRubberFruitFace - Color masked GRN/YLW team textures for everything (and I mean everything).
Jesus Crits/Digivee - Fixed up the nailgun viewmodel and worldmodel anims
Chowder - Tranquilizer Gun viewmodel, SMG for Scout anims, Scout Shotgun stuff
Stachekip - Providing trailer Rocket Launcher mod created by GameBanana user "blase", providing idea for Soldier to use the trailer Rocket Launcher when tf_beta_weapons is set to 1.
WhyNott - Polish translation fixes
~Kiwi~v2 - Server Hosting guide (click the button in the Installation Instructions section below)
Blase005 - Contributor of various mods for the game, as well as modelling things that may end up used in the game itself. Creator of Beta Rocket Launcher!
Aichten - Nailgun particles, server host, provided feedback on weapon balancing
Rage - Created the Cyclops
Nassim0 - Allowing us to use TIP player skins, creating GRN/YLW TIP player skins
FissionMetroid101 - GRN/YLW particles

Want to join the Steam group? Click the Steam Group button below! Want to help with the coding side of things and submit commits and whatnot for bugfixes/new additions? Click the GitHub button below!

- Maxplayers limit increase to 128

- New weapons! Use "m" to view your loadout and change your weapons!
-- New weapons include:
--- Scout: Nailgun (Primary), SMG (Secondary)
--- Soldier: Beta Rocket Launcher (Primary, higher jump height, knocks back enemies)
--- Demoman: Cyclops (Primary, single shot Grenade Launcher with increase explosion radius)
--- Heavy: Lead Pipe (Melee)
--- Spy: Tranquilizer Gun (Primary, slows enemies down for a short time)

- 4 teams! Welcome the GRN and YLW team!

- The beta muzzleflash model! Use the convar "tf2c_model_muzzleflash 1" to enable it!

- No more background01 map! (You can re-enable it by editing tf/cfg/valve.rc in Notepad!)

And maybe more? Who knows at this point in time!

1. Download the client and the latest patch
2. Once downloaded, extract everything to your "steamapps/sourcemods" directory. You should now have "steamapps/sourcemods/tf2classic"
3. Go to the 'Tools' section in your Steam client
4. Install Source SDK 2013 Base Multiplayer
5. After it's installed, right click it and select Properties, then click the Betas tab and choose "Upcoming".
6. Close the properties and it should begin updating.
7. Once it has finished updating, restart Steam
8. Check your games. You should see "Team Fortress 2 Classic" has appeared on your games library.

Autoupdater program now available, but I haven't designed a button for it. For now, click here!
Current Patch: 1.7.3.1

So this is a mod that looks like what TF2 might be if it stuck with both the cartoony look and the gameplay of both TFC and TF2 Beta. Although it looks like it, this is not a TF2 server plugin, it's a full conversion Source SDK 2013 mod.

Link to original thread is here: http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1445480

Personally, I think it looks cool, what do you guys think?

Old 02-03-2015, 09:22 AM   #2
iAmaNoob
The Solid One

Some Media:
Firing:

Draw:

Reload:

Old 02-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #3
homie in reboks'

Class/Position: Soldier & Medic
Affiliations: ( ir :: ) iv| K^ †
Posts Rated Helpful 80 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmaNoob View Post
Personally, I think it looks cool, what do you guys think?
Counter-productive to FF, and something that doesn't interest me. To each their own, though.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:01 AM   #4
Fruitcake

Gametype: AvD/IvD
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
As someone who got into fortress gaming through a tf2c mod I just want to say a couple things. First congrats at getting in four teams, I don't know why valve stripped this out. Two, I'm sad to see no mention of grenades, as they are the depth and soul of fortress. Three, no mention of bhop either. I find slow fpses to be dreadfully boring. Curious to see if any tf2 players will try it, but it doesn't really look like my thing. The weapons aren't what make fortress fortress. It's the movement. I doubt bringing classic weapons alone will fix the problems inherent in tf2.
Fruitcake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2015, 02:41 AM   #5
oaties

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 38 Times
So, is this a mod that makes TF2 like TFC or is it a mod that takes a select few TFC elements and adds other random things not in any other fortress game?

Ex:

Quote:
Demoman: Cyclops (Primary, single shot Grenade Launcher with increase explosion radius)
????
oaties is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2015, 02:44 PM   #6
Lucky38

This is a mod that focuses on bringing back the aspects that TF2 was supposed to have on launch, but were scrapped by Valve.

Example: Grenades, 4 teams, nail gun etc etc.

It is in not trying to replicate TFC.

They also plan on adding their own weapons in the game, with custom models and all that stuff.

Last edited by Lucky38; 02-05-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Lucky38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2015, 08:34 PM   #7
Headz

Posts Rated Helpful 81 Times
I think the only thing most off us want to know, can you bhop and use conc's ?
Even if you can, ima stick with ff, got to know a lot of regs here over the last 2 years of playing, and I like the close knit community even though there are plently of arguments and mini dramas, but we share one thing in common, the love for Fortress Forever.

My wish, to eventually see ff progress into source2 whenever that is.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #8
AI_
Get stewed

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
I remember years back there was a different tf2c mod that did have bhop as well as concs. Is this a completely different project or is it just completely redone?

Old 02-12-2015, 10:51 PM   #9
MatiZ
FFcrab

Class/Position: Spectator
Gametype: Fragfest (Sometimes without "r".)
Affiliations: LCD
Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Now imagine somebody remaking TF2: Brotherhood of Arms...
MatiZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2015, 06:48 AM   #10
CharlesVanDoren

Is the game not broken for anyone else? It's completely broken for me. I can't switch weapons with M and it won't let me join any public servers
CharlesVanDoren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2015, 05:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie in reboks' View Post
Counter-productive to FF, and something that doesn't interest me. To each their own, though.
How is this counter-productive to Fortress Forever? I'm confused about that.

Also, why was the thread ported here? Did you not read the top of the thread on Facepunch IAmANoob?:

EDIT: Seems this thread was posted back in February, before I added the warning about copying/pasting the thread over to other sites.

Quote:
NOTE: Before copying and pasting the contents of this post over to another website, please contact Danielmm8888 or UserNotFound before doing so and ask permission. This thread has already been ported over to teamfortress.tv (which went horribly) and to GameBanana (went much better, but it was deleted by request anyway) without permission. Let's keep that to a minimum.
May as well answer some questions though. No grenades yet to my knowledge but we do plan on adding them in.

As for why the "m" bind doesn't work, there's a bindtoggle command you need to run in the console. Can't quite remember what the command is though.

There is bunny hopping and even convars to control it. Most custom convars we add begin with "tf2c_". Bunny hopping isn't fun in my mind because nobody likes auto-bhopping Heavies running around crit-punching people. Shit's annoying. Regardless, there's still a large # of people in the TF2C community who love bhopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesVanDoren View Post
Is the game not broken for anyone else? It's completely broken for me. I can't switch weapons with M and it won't let me join any public servers
Install the client, then install patch 1.8.0, then install the latest patch (1.8.3.1 or something). It should let you join servers provided the servers are up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI_ View Post
I remember years back there was a different tf2c mod that did have bhop as well as concs. Is this a completely different project or is it just completely redone?
That was a different project, done via SourceMod plugins. It had limitations to my recollection, and has since died off completely.

Last edited by 404; 03-28-2015 at 06:05 PM.
404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2015, 02:13 AM   #12
homie in reboks'

Class/Position: Soldier & Medic
Affiliations: ( ir :: ) iv| K^ †
Posts Rated Helpful 80 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404 View Post
How is this counter-productive to Fortress Forever? I'm confused about that.
Both FF and TFC2 are extensions/updated versions of TFC which seek to carry on the spirit of fortress-esque/quake gaming: they target the same audience with very similar products. Kind of like TF2 vs FF when both were being created.

Again, there's nothing wrong with this. I just prefer FF over it. And it would be odd to expect non-biased critiques of it from the main FF forums.

Last edited by homie in reboks'; 03-29-2015 at 02:22 AM.
homie in reboks' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2015, 02:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie in reboks' View Post
Both FF and TFC2 are extensions/updated versions of TFC which seek to carry on the spirit of fortress-esque/quake gaming: they target the same audience with very similar products. Kind of like TF2 vs FF when both were being created.

Again, there's nothing wrong with this. I just prefer FF over it. And it would be odd to expect non-biased critiques of it from the main FF forums.
Understandable. Our project from the get-go was "Let's take TF2 and reintroduce beta/scrapped elements of gameplay". We really weren't concerned with any Quake/Fortress-esque gameplay.

We started out adding in things like the Nailgun. As our community got bigger, we introduced new facets to the gameplay such as 4 teams (this came in much later in development) and even Deathmatch. That's when the Quake/Fortress-esque gameplay came to be in TF2C.

We've even introduced a new "class" to the game specifically for the Deathmatch mode, The Mercenary.

I myself have never played Fortress Forever, so I can't provide an opinion on which I prefer. I really should give it a try.

Oh, and we do have a bit of a legality issue with the project, as we are using source code from an old leak as a stepping stone of sorts. We've been trying to get in touch with Valve since the start of the project to show them the progress we've made, and hopefully get a thumbs up from them. We are purposely avoiding things like hats/cosmetic items in TF2C, for the express purpose of not getting on Valve's bad side.

Last edited by 404; 03-29-2015 at 02:45 AM.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:27 AM   #14
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Anything.
Gametype: CTF/CP (AvD needs fixing)
Posts Rated Helpful 28 Times
Meh, I'll stick with FF. Not sure why we need 2 tf remakes..
eomoyaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2015, 02:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomoyaff View Post
Meh, I'll stick with FF. Not sure why we need 2 tf remakes..
This isn't a remake of Team Fortress/Quake Fortress/Team Fortress Classic. This is a community-driven custom version of Team Fortress 2 with new content.

As I stated above, we started out with the mindset of "let's remake all the scrapped stuff". We've done the Nailgun, and the Club (known in TF2C as the Fishwhacker), and we are working on the scrapped grenades.

We've since moved onto "let's add new stuff" which thus far has been the addition of the GRN and YLW team for 4 team gameplay, and a completely brand new Deathmatch mode with a Deathmatch-specific "Mercenary" character.

We're also bringing back the Civilian (hopefully using a brand new TF2-styled Civilian model created by notable community contributor(s) Nassim0 and Badgerpig (might be forgetting a name of two).

I do wish people would stop referring to TF2 Classic as a "tf remake" or a "fortress forever knockoff", as it's neither of those.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:31 AM   #16
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester

How is it neither? Concs, nail guns, civilians, bhop.. I'm sure there's more you haven't mentioned. Maybe it's not a remake, but its heavily related in the least.

Also, no offense, but Im not sure how this thread doesn't advertise while FF is trying to increase and maintain a solid player base. Something about it just feels dirty to me. I mean no harm done if fortress forever was advertised on your mods forum as well. .

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:24 AM   #17
iAmaNoob
The Solid One

Quote:
How is it neither? Concs, nail guns, civilians, bhop.. I'm sure there's more you haven't mentioned. Maybe it's not a remake, but its heavily related in the least.

Also, no offense, but Im not sure how this thread doesn't advertise while FF is trying to increase and maintain a solid player base. Something about it just feels dirty to me. I mean no harm done if fortress forever was advertised on your mods forum as well. .
>because FF totally invented concs, nail guns, civilians and bhops.

Also, we do have a Fortress Forever thread on Facepunch, but it's already dead due to inactivity.

Last edited by iAmaNoob; 03-30-2015 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Fucking auto correct.
iAmaNoob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #18
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmaNoob View Post
>because FF totally intended concs, nail guns, civilians and bhops.

Also, we do have a Fortress Forever thread on Facepunch, but it's already dead due to inactivity.
Yes it did intend it. You're right. Are you saying that TF2C just randomly decided that it should have all these things?

Also, you could update the Fortress Forever Thread then since it's out on steam now, and it's populated (finally.)

Old 03-30-2015, 03:02 PM   #19
iAmaNoob
The Solid One

Quote:
Yes it did intend it. You're right. Are you saying that TF2C just randomly decided that it should have all these things?

Also, you could update the Fortress Forever Thread then since it's out on steam now, and it's populated (finally.)
I meant to say invented. No games have a goddamn say on what weapons another game can use.

FF did not invent those grenades, so your argument is invalid.

Last edited by iAmaNoob; 03-30-2015 at 03:03 PM.
iAmaNoob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2015, 05:23 PM   #20

Quote:
First off, the word IAmANewb was looking for was "invented", not "intended". Fortress Forever did not invent concussion grenades or nail guns or bunny hopping. Fortress Forever also did not invent the Civilian class. Saying TF2C is "heavily related" is silly.

I'll say this again. We started off with the mindset of "let's bring back scrapped content". This included things from the early TF2 trailer, such as the Nailgun.

We are planning on re-adding all the scrapped grenades (bear trap, MIRV, etc), but they aren't in fully yet. We don't have concs in yet, and concussion grenades are not a "fortress forever" thing.

Later on in development, someone suggested we add bunny hopping, so we did.

Obviously this thread is going to continue going downhill with people claiming we're ripping off Fortress Forever, so if someone could contact a mod and get them to delete this thread, that'd be nice.

Last edited by 404; 03-30-2015 at 05:29 PM.