Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2006, 02:36 PM   #61
o_3vil9rin

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I haven't even seen the trailer for TF2 yet. Only the pic. Yet I have made no assumptions of how it will play, I'm just intrigued as to what it will involve. Yes it could easily just be TFC:S, but for some reason I just don't think it will be.

Thanks for the further information Fooley, I meant no disrespect to you & the dev guys. I have shown many non-tf players the work that has been done and all are suitably impressed. I think FF will be a success, but I re-iterate that I believe Fortress Forever is to all intents and purposes TFC:S.
Perhaps you find that insulting, but I bet many people are hoping thats exactly what it will be. They want the game they've played to death to be recreated with all the love you guys have shown to be putting in (the mapping work is stunning) so they can continue to play for years to come. Maybe I should state that I played TFC for 5 years (although very much doubt I racked up 4000 hours...) and would likely still play it today if I were able, so to even come close to recreating it would be an achievement worthy of very high praise.

I appreciate the extra skills you guys are adding in, just hope you don't get carried away in a Neo-TF style

With regards to Pyro and Sniper, I truly hope that the balance is redressed.
I have plenty of faith in the FF project, but won't deny my interest in an official TF2 suppasses my interest in FF.
o_3vil9rin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2006, 03:59 PM   #62
o_zydell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooleyCooley
I still fail to 'get' some people's points here.

We could, if we wanted to, slap all our textures through a few photoshop filters and scale our models to unrealistic cartoon proportions and achieve a roughly similar look to TF2 in a few weeks.

However, quite how this would make it a better/innovative game is beyond me. I'm not slanting TF2's style, I think it's great (with the exception of the soldier), but that's all it is - a style.

I dress my WinXP install in a Mac OSX style theme. I like it because to me, it looks better. However, functionally it's still just... WinXP. With all the bad and good that goes with it.

I think too many of you are judging stuff just on the premise of style alone. Again, you have no idea how TF2 will play, nor do you really have any idea how FF will play. Again, we're not beyond making actual changes to the game and (contrary to what's mentioned above) both the sniper and pyro are being critically examined to make both classes more universally appealing and balanced.

The spy's already got one suggested new feature present which will certainly make the class much more appealing (SG sabotage), and 2 other unique features have been discussed (one of which may end up going to the sniper). Likewise one of the pyro's weapons has also been significantly altered.

We do have an issue which I will admit to which is not really disclosing this stuff to you guys. One of the main reasons is that these features go in, but they're just left in a very rough state. We get them functional, so we can test the actual gameplay, but leave the 'polishing' stage until we're happy with the functionality.
Interesting post since I use Mac OSX theme as well!!!!!!!!!!! It's called milk2.0 or something it's so nice that I havent changed it since I upgraded from milk1.0. Let's talk about themes because talking about TF2 vs FF sucks.

Last edited by o_zydell; 07-21-2006 at 04:43 PM.
o_zydell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #63
o_kam

Oh man I hate Mac OSX visual styles with a passion. So fucking bland!
Doesn't help that there's about 26236 versions of them out there.

Souluna2 ftw~
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2006, 04:27 PM   #64
o_2d-chris

Sometimes all a great game needs is a good up-to-date remake, often publishers want something new and fresh otherwise it loses allot of the appeal to gamers who for some reason didn’t like the first game.

Often the winning formula is lost with endless design additions. Obviously we have no publisher so the way we take the mod is down to us, the number one thing to remember is we are a 'mod' every valve released game will be of a better standard visually and much more tested and polished but is it free?

Like all good mods they continue to improve as time goes on. Who knows what the future has in store
o_2d-chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2006, 04:28 PM   #65
o_sensai

Another shameless plug for the piss stain of the FF groups community.
o_sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2006, 04:30 PM   #66
o_zydell

does getting brainwashed hurt or do they remove the brainwashing part from your memory as well????

Old 07-21-2006, 04:34 PM   #67
o_lithium

All i saw in that wall of text is ignorance.
o_lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2006, 04:36 PM   #68
o_sensai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydell
does getting brainwashed hurt or do they remove the brainwashing part from your memory as well????
I don't know, you tell me. You seem to be out on a mission to indoctrinate any person who can't think for themselves to join the Yellow team.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:38 PM   #69
o_zydell

I am on a mission to protect the holy gazelles, I am on a mission to destroy the evil blue team. I am recruiting people based on their skills, skills that you lack... loads!!!!!

Old 07-21-2006, 04:41 PM   #70
o_fresh

how about you calm the fuck down and shut the fuck up.
o_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #71
o_zydell

How rude, luckely looking at my signature makes me happy inside!

Old 07-21-2006, 04:45 PM   #72
schtoofa
Retired FF Staff

Both games could be crap. Both could be great. And so on, and so forth.

I, for one, look forward to playing both. Nobody knows how either is going to turn out, or how [un]popular they'll be. These threads are getting depressing

Old 07-21-2006, 04:46 PM   #73
o_zydell

Doesn't all that yellow make it more barable? It does to me!!

Old 07-21-2006, 04:56 PM   #74
o_sensai

Quote:
Doesn't all that yellow make it more barable? It does to me!!
The only thing all that yellow makes me want to bare is a shotgun as I'm walking over to your house.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:58 PM   #75
o_fresh

schtoofa, tbh I'm not a man of faith. Nor as I optimistic. However if there were ever a group of people I would want to bring the best game I've ever played, literally shifting the history of TF onto a new platform for everyone to enjoy FOR FREE - it would be you lot.

tbh, I'd rather have two lots of TF that are very different than two that are nearly the same. Of all the games that I've played, personally and for PHL there's one thing I have come to realise, and it's that you can judge a game by it's concepts, looks and ideas until you can judge no more. However until you install that game, and FEEL it for yourself you can only then decide if it's a great game.

tbh most people seem to have the "OH NO IF I LIKE TF2 I CANT LIKE FF ANYMORE" type problem.
o_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2006, 04:58 PM   #76
o_zydell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensai
The only thing all that yellow makes me want to bare is a shotgun as I'm walking over to your house.
Yeah... but I bet you mother still loves you!

Perhaps its good advice to wait by the way? Looks like FF will be released first so if it's not all that you wanted and more, than you could still buy this TF2 thingy!

Old 07-21-2006, 05:16 PM   #77
o_sensai

Quote:
Yeah... but I bet you mother still loves you!
You hurt my head. Every time you post something, you solidify the fact you have a passionate distaste for the use of logic. It really hurts my head, seriously.

Old 07-21-2006, 05:17 PM   #78
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
I'll be playing the shite out of both of em, I see no reason not to play TF2 and FF all the damned time.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2006, 05:25 PM   #79
o_kastofsna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
I'll be playing the shite out of both of em, I see no reason not to play TF2 and FF all the damned time.
this is, of course, the correct answer.
o_kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2006, 12:32 AM   #80
o_coalesce

Quote:
Originally Posted by schtoofa
Both games could be crap. Both could be great. And so on, and so forth.

I, for one, look forward to playing both. Nobody knows how either is going to turn out, or how [un]popular they'll be. These threads are getting depressing
same for me.

i can't believe i wasted a minute and a half this morning writing a semi-long post.

close the thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
get the last word schtoofa!!!!!
o_coalesce is offline   Reply With Quote