Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 02-09-2006, 08:45 PM   #21
o_sh4x

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Pretty useless to comment on textures for now since the FF textures aren't out yet. Everyone should know that by now, no excuse!
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2006, 09:18 PM   #22
o_rival13

I think you need a bit more roof structure. The rooms are large with flat or nearly flat ceilings (primarely talking about the ramp room here). I know you are still in the early stages of this map, but some larger variations or some kind of support truss would help break up the large span of concrete and make it appear as if there is actually something holding up the ceiling.

Your flag room and outside of flag room look good. I like the columns but they still feel a bit bare. Maybe some more contrast in your lighting with darker shadows or different color lighting? I dunno, just a suggestion. You've got alot of main structure up and Rival Likey!
o_rival13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2006, 11:18 PM   #23
o_buckshot enema[x7]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x
Pretty useless to comment on textures for now since the FF textures aren't out yet. Everyone should know that by now, no excuse!
My bad. I didn't realize every map under development would go through another texture pass when they released a texture pack.
o_buckshot enema[x7] is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2006, 11:31 PM   #24
o_dr.flexyjerkov

thanks for all the comments, ill think of adding ceiling supports for all the rooms as i know half life has a nice choice of models which i can use to give it a more realistic look.

Currently working on water route and outside

Cant decide whether to have a cliff style outside or concrete walls.
o_dr.flexyjerkov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2006, 02:28 AM   #25
o_nezumi

Both. Bits of cliff with concrete support type thingies breaking it up. Been done before but looks good.

Sentance fragment.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2006, 03:15 AM   #26
o_kam

Lighting is repetative.
FR is still a huge bitch!
General plain lookingness, kinda why you should wait till you've got atleast one room sexified before showing it off.

Quote:
Pretty useless to comment on textures for now since the FF textures aren't out yet.
Uhh no? Most of the map screenies in the media page are using default textures only...
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2006, 06:04 AM   #27
o_nezumi

Uhh yes? Us plebs have an excuse for not having custom textures.

Old 02-10-2006, 10:44 AM   #28
o_dr.flexyjerkov

having troubles with my cliff formations but am still trying,

Old 02-10-2006, 12:14 PM   #29
o_kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
No my point is that it can look good with the default textures. Sure, not how you'll ultimately want it to look but still good looking.

Old 02-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #30
o_dr.flexyjerkov

hes right, i've changed a lot of the textures to the stone looking ones, makes the map look a lot tidier, currently working on the outside of the map which is going ok so far, though i've decided i might not be having a cliff face outside but alternativly have it all clean and spinky looking many curves etc, well we'll see what happens.

Old 02-10-2006, 02:50 PM   #31
o_sh4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
No my point is that it can look good with the default textures. Sure, not how you'll ultimately want it to look but still good looking.
Ok and what's the point of wasting time on texturing when you know it's gonna have to be redone when the official textures are out?

Old 02-10-2006, 02:58 PM   #32
o_kam

It looks better when you post screenies of it? Not like you know what the official textures are gonna be, hell you'll probably end up using a handful of default ones.

AND

So you don't get posts like:
Quote:
There's not enough color variation with the textures. The gray concrete is overpowering. Why not get creative with some different textures? I was having the same problem with one of my maps and I discovered the "stone" textures and it worked wonders for diversifying my maps look.
Anyway, good to hear flexy.

Old 02-10-2006, 03:17 PM   #33
o_dr zauis

It does not HAVE to be redone. Look at epicenter from what i see those are the basic textures. If you can find good ones that fit, go for it. If not you can wait, but who wants to wait. Not i....shit make your own at that. Its actually really easy. BTW i remember someone working on Avanti...if that person is still around i have a nice stained glass texture you can use with some tranparency.

Check it out:

I even made a normal map for it:

o_dr zauis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2006, 09:26 PM   #34
o_buckshot enema[x7]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.flexyjerkov
hes right, i've changed a lot of the textures to the stone looking ones, makes the map look a lot tidier, currently working on the outside of the map which is going ok so far, though i've decided i might not be having a cliff face outside but alternativly have it all clean and spinky looking many curves etc, well we'll see what happens.
Glad you found the stone textures useful. I felt silly at first for commenting on textures after several people mentioned they should be ignored, but I agree with Kam on this.

Additionally, textures often dictate the way geometry evolves, and so if you wait for the FF textures you're likely to have to redo the brushes on many parts of your map to get them to fit the textures. I doubt you'll be able to just do a replace search and then recompile.
o_buckshot enema[x7] is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2006, 11:34 PM   #35
o_sh4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot Enema[x7
]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.flexyjerkov
Glad you found the stone textures useful. I felt silly at first for commenting on textures after several people mentioned they should be ignored, but I agree with Kam on this.

Additionally, textures often dictate the way geometry evolves, and so if you wait for the FF textures you're likely to have to redo the brushes on many parts of your map to get them to fit the textures. I doubt you'll be able to just do a replace search and then recompile.
When I said textures werent important for now I meant that the fact that a concrete texture is overused doesn't really cause any problem. Of course you try to put the basic textures in place but even if it's all concrete it's gonna be alright because when the FF textures come out, you're gonna want to add the details to your map with those textures so... for now, it's a waste of time imo to try make everything look good. Just lay down a basic set of textures that goes with the geometry you're building and wait for the official textures to finish the job.

Old 02-11-2006, 01:48 AM   #36
o_nezumi

I guess you're right kam. After all, I'm the one who's always bitching at people for using the dev textures.

But, this is why I'm making maps like tiger and harbor that can use the original HL2 textures. (and props)

Old 02-14-2006, 10:25 PM   #37
o_dr.flexyjerkov

Progress has been slow this past few days due to being away from home etc...

Expect new screenshots etc once i've done some more to the level.

Feel free to check out the changed website layout for the map at @ http://flexy.tnradio.net

Old 02-14-2006, 10:31 PM   #38
o_beetle

can ya make the pics clickable?

o yea, and u missspelled ur map name on at the top of your page
o_beetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2006, 06:24 PM   #39
o_dr.flexyjerkov

ye ill sort all the webpage out when the next screenshots are out

Old 02-16-2006, 11:57 PM   #40
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
You're planning on including CCTV? I think FF isn't going to expand on the "one camera per map" thing, so that may not work.