Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 10-07-2007, 04:30 AM   #21
totoro^vi

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I found, and subsequently played, the b3 version of the map earlier today and it struck me as promising so I thought I'd post some feedback.

First some of the things liked: the map has a good feel to it and it's amusing to play which is nice and more than I can say about any of my conc maps. The map also looks pretty good so far (looking forward to the lighting!), you keep a constant theme and it works well.

Now, things that struck me as off: the first thing that comes to mind is the trigger_hurt (or whatever it is now) that kills you each time you botch a jump. It might be just me but I've always found the classic teleporting back to the start of the jump to be much more preferable and I'd assume most people feel the same way, unless they're theomaniacs and the idea of being killed and immediately ressurected gets them off. I don't know how this would affect the scoring system you had in mind but I would consider it if it wouldn't hurt it.

Secondly, on the new version I felt the series of three jumps starting with the moving orange water (the two orange water jumps and the "U" shapped cave jump that follows) were a significant jump up in difficulty. A lot of this difficulty could be circumvented by standing on the walls in the beginning but I'm not sure if you intended for this to be possible. The jumps themselves are fine but without standing on the walls you have to prethrow a bit and it just seemed a bit out of place considering the difficulty of the rest of the map.

Oh, and the trigger_hurt comes up a little high on the "U" shaped cave jump too, killed me a few times before i left the platform D:

Just my two cents, the map looks good so far, keep it going!
totoro^vi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #22
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Oh snap B3? Excellent work stino! Where can I download/play it? Anyone?

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #23
Stephen
Sniper hater.

I played this last night. The difficulty gets a bit insane when you get to jump 16 or so - wherever the bits with the fire-like stuff going through the clear pipes start.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2007, 04:46 PM   #24
public_slots_free

Will you post the LUA so i can play it on a US server pretty please. Also, you have a teamspawn somewhere that you shouldnt as it spawned me at some random jump once when i joined blue
public_slots_free is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #25
stino

i like to keep the lua for myself untill the next ff patch, i need to fix some bugs with players leaving and other players getting their ID (so if someone reaches jump 18 and he leaves, the new player that gets his id will start at jump 18, wich is bad of course, so i have to clear the player's data when he disconnects and that's only possible in the next ff patch.

and about the pipe jumps, i'm thinking of adding a few jumps in between, but didn't find a good idea so i wanted to let people test those out

the 2 tunnels in front of the big dam have to connect 2 jumps that are between the pipes and the dam itself, but those weren't finished in b3 (and are still not)

and eh, i had a few players complaning about the difficulty of jump 7, it was way to hard they said, but i was thinking of making it harder , 1 nade is more then enough to boost you almost up to the sky when placed right
stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2007, 08:48 PM   #26
Player
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
What's this? People speaking of playing it with no link to download from? Am I missing something? Let me play!
Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2007, 02:13 AM   #27
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Stino I really wish you would add Soldier and Pyro to this, even on a trial basis. I really think that they could do the jumps...

Old 10-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #28
stino

well since my system allows you to take every time another class, i might as well add pyro and solly, but also the engy.

and eh, b3 can be downloaded via my gameserver: sgware.be, i've edited the lua, but i don't have an application here to use rcon (so i can't exec ff_restartround to reload lua )

Old 10-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #29
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Pyro and Solly I can see doing this map. Engy, notsomuch. Railjump only gets you so far.

I think that the next iteration (b4 I guess?) should have these classes in it so it can be tested if they can actually make most of these jumps.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:52 PM   #30
stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Pyro and Solly I can see doing this map. Engy, notsomuch. Railjump only gets you so far.

I think that the next iteration (b4 I guess?) should have these classes in it so it can be tested if they can actually make most of these jumps.
classes is lua, so i only have to restart my server.

so if you don't mind, please try as solly/whatever and tell me how far you get

And eh, railgun gets you only so far, emp gets you also quite a distance

i also whould like someone to rate my jumps, from easy to hard so i can give points for each jump, and i want also let the points depend on the class but that might just go a little to far

Last edited by stino; 10-08-2007 at 08:04 PM.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #31
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

I had a problem when I joined the server. It was randomly spawning me at different jumps. This is b3, I never did any jumps on the map. What is up with that?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #32
Lt Llama

Same for me. Even if I where at same jump and died twice there I ended up at differant jumps after spawning. So its really quite random now.
Lt Llama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 10:44 AM   #33
stino

Quote:
I had a problem when I joined the server. It was randomly spawning me at different jumps. This is b3, I never did any jumps on the map. What is up with that?
as i said in a few post before, if someone reaches a jump, his player ID will have reached that jump, so if he leaves, and someone else joins and gets that id, he will also have that id, and this can only be fixed by changing the code so it doesn't use player id but steam id, but that's memory intensive, so i'm going to wait for the next ff patch so i can clear jump data on disconnect.

i'm going to work on a temp fix for this when i'm home.
the fix will be messy, i'm going to check in a for loop if a player id is used by a player and if it is, just leave it, if it isn't used > clear data. but this approach will only work if the loop is executed between the leave of the old and join of the new player.

a good fix will only be available when ff fixed their onplayerconnect and onplayerdisconnect

Old 10-12-2007, 10:34 AM   #34
stino

Quote:
Oh snap B3? Excellent work stino! Where can I download/play it? Anyone?
it's before now (B4 )

Old 10-19-2007, 04:57 PM   #35
Player
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Well I played it and found it to be quite good, although there are things that I dislike:

trigger_hurt in general: makes it impossible to spec one player; when specced player dies, you spec another; horrible.

trigger_hurt in the U cave: comes up far too high at start and basically throughout that entire jump (you die before you even touch the floor (make it as close to the displacement as possible))

trigger_hurt on conc priming: slows the pace down as when you die, you drop the concussion grenade

Why use trigger_hurt?
Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2007, 07:29 AM   #36
stino

becouse the spawn system is much nicer then the teleport system

1 spawn occupied? use the next one then, and this behavior is impossible with teleports i guess.

i've seen a lot of servers with player pillars and i didn't want that in my map

and trigger_hurt is also a lot easier to setup, just copy/paste the brush, teleports need you to setup every destination over and over again

also instaid of hurt, the earliest version of my map had a system where you just had to walk back if you missed a jump, the area where the hurts are now were nonade zones, but for some reasons nades did go off, so that didn't work

Old 10-29-2007, 10:53 PM   #37
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

stino, I had my friend Kiba | mi6 go over this map as Soldier. He is a pretty good Soldier (competed on Platinum level as that class), but there were two jumps that he could not complete with consistancy.

The two jumps that are like this:

Code:
_______________      _______________
               |    |             
               |    |             
__             |    |             __
  |            |    |            |
  |            \____/            |
  |                              | 
  |______________________________|
   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

X = trigger_hurt
The middle wall on both jumps is too low for average level players to be able to rocket through these jumps easily. He spent an hour trying both of these (the solid wall one and the lava wall one) and basically got nowhere save for one or two lucky landings.

If you raised the middle wall a little higher on the earlier one (even half the size of a player), it would make it easier for rocketjumpers to get through this map. And as for the lava one, well... it can be done, but it is probably the most difficult jump for RJers on the entire map.

He has not tried it as Pyro yet, but I suspect that it will show a few more revelations as to its incompatability with that class. It might be hard, but I think he could do most of the jumps.

But hey, like I said, Soldier can do almost all of the jumps on the map (except for the two I mentioned above, which are almost impossible), so now you pretty much have a confirmed third class that can make it through. (:

Old 10-30-2007, 08:18 PM   #38
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

The map is great. I had to noclip past a few jumps that I just couldn't conc. The seconds lava one and the strafe conc one right after it.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:51 AM   #39
stino

whould it help to lower the floor a bit for the solly instaid of raising the middle wall?

and is the last jump working?

Last edited by stino; 10-31-2007 at 10:04 AM.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:18 AM   #40
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stino
whould it help to lower the floor a bit for the solly instaid of raising the middle wall?

and is the last jump working?
It might, yeah.

I do not know if Pyro could get through this map, though. I'ma try it out myself at some point and see how it goes. Right now I am busy with... other things.

Edit:

Basically, the way a Soldier would get through this jump:

Code:
_______________      _______________
               |    |             
               |    |             
__             |    |             __
  |   |        |    |            |
  |   /        \____/            |
  |  /_ _ _ /                   | 
  |*_____________________________|
   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

X = trigger_hurt

* = Rocketjump + Frag grenade
Is to jump down and do a rocketjump with a frag grenade off of the wall. That gives him linear power. Then when he gets to the other wall, he can use the other three rockets to climb up.

The major problem is he can not get enough height to travel the distance from end to end by rocketing off the wall. If he tries to rocket off of the ground, he gets even less height and just ends up hitting the trigger_hurt.

On the second jump, you can stand at the base of the orange wall, so that one would actually not be as hard as the first jump for the Soldier. Lowering the floor on both of those would make things a bit easier for Scout and Medic, yes, but it would make them actually doable by a Soldier. Then this map would be playable for three classes across the board AFAIK.

Last edited by Ihmhi; 11-01-2007 at 05:59 AM.