Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 05-08-2016, 08:51 AM   #41
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
I played overwatch, once, while very drunk. So, take my opinion with a grain(metric fuck ton) of salt.

Wat? Like what?

I didn't really understand a bit of it. It kind of confirms my belief that the game is a messy cluster fucker. And it kind of made me just want to go and play TF2. It made the physical and technical skills seems insanely simple. Aiming was not at all a problem, if you have someone in your sights and you know what to do, then killing them is no problem. The technical aspects, such as movement are so dumbed down it's just a simple button press. Easy peasy lame shit.

Basically it's a casual market blockbuster, and will dominate the scene for years to come.

Now, some might think that since it's such a simplistic game in terms of technical and physical aspects, that it would lay way for a more brain-game style of play. But I have severe doubts about even that. Even though it's such a cluster fuck of way too many different kinds of things happening at once, I think, very obviously, certain play styles will find a strong holding in very specific parts of maps. Besides that, I think a certain amount of aim-play (read technical/physical aspects) goes into making brain plays interesting in the first place. After all that is the whole interaction. Wether or not you can out smart someone elses aim. With all the physical mechanics being so simplistic, this will become a very stale interaction.

Idk, I can't quite, given my levels of inebriation, properly put it into words, however; I think this game is going to be the lowest level of casual garbage. And I think any of us, suckling on the supremely sagging tit that is "skilled gaming" will see it as such.

My name is FDA, I'm drunk, and Overwatch is poop.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:57 AM   #42
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Also, double post, I find it really funny that:

In that video fruit posted, one of the devs mentions TF2. He mentions how much of a clusterfuck pub tf2 can be, but how it has so much more potential in a more restricted competitive environment. Which is true. They say they want to capitolize on that more refined environment, and then create the most noisey gaming experience imaginable.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:22 PM   #43
AfterShock
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 45 Times
I just played overwatch and had the similar opinion. I am so disappointed with what they've done.

They've managed to create an entirely new game with exciting new classes and capabilities and fail to solve any of the existing problems that similar games have struggled with. Its just a messy cluster of bodies where you point and click and getting behind people means you can shoot them in the back.

I'm sure there is some depth and counters to the classes they've designed but the fundamentals in the game modes are just bad.

They've got all these movement abilities in the game, but the game rotates around a big empty warehouse with a capture point in the middle, or a slow moving payload van where you just spam rockets and grenades onto it.

Everyone has infinite ammo so the spam is unreal, the HUD is so noisy you dont know whats going on, and the art style is just all over the place. I honestly have no idea how i got "play of the match" half the time because i was just shooting people in the most obvious TF2 / COD / TFC pub server way.

EDIT: on the upside lots of interesting mechanics to consider putting into FF / another similar game in future (in a non retarded way).

EDIT2: Rocket league is still awesome

Last edited by AfterShock; 05-09-2016 at 10:24 PM.
AfterShock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2016, 10:21 PM   #44
WarDieS

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I have been playing the beta and I think its a great game. It's really fun to play in pubs.

But my concern is the competitive side of it.

Point One
I don't like the "Press Q to kill their entire team" style (Phara, Mccree, Soldier 76, Hanzo, Reaper, D.Va). It's really frustating defending trying to land headshots on Tracers, Genjis, Midair Junkrats etc. And then you hear the "DIE DIE DIE" quote from reaper because he just teleported and pressed Q.

It's not proportional to what I am doing nor my team (The same goes for when I am the one pressing Q) and it is hardly avoidable.

Point Two
Some of weapons are dumbed down way to much. Let's take Winston weapon as an example. This is some kind of laser gun that doesn't need to be aimed at your opponent, the general direction its just enough as long you are in range. This is crazy.

Mei, Its just an spray that frozes you in two seconds preventing your movement of any kind. It is really annoying getting killed like that because is requires almost no aim. If you don't kill her in two seconds she kills you 100%.

Zenyatta orb of discord, you have to just press E when a big marker shows up saying "E". Wtf Blizzard, you can't even miss it.

Symmetra....I think you get the idea

Point Three

Some of the maps are great and some of them feel really chaotic. But I am not really sure about this aspect until I play it on a real clan game style situation. (TFC was a real mess in publics)
Some maps have clear choke points that are there intentionally put there and those maps can be a little repetitive in the way you try to get in. (Jump in without using ultimates, force them to use some ultimates. Respawn and jump in using ultimates, repeat until success, end of round).

But something tells me control maps are fucked up (Ilios, Lijiang Tower, Nepal) even tho they are fun in quick match. They feel like an arena game mode most of the time (wich is not the problem).
The problem is shown in this
Look at the teams compositions of both teams, 21 classes and look what happens. I am aware this might change with balance changes and the "meta" itself. My point is, it currently looks broken to me.

The good thing is, I really believe some of the classes are really fun and challenging like Genji (Just look at the video I mentioned earlier) and the idea that lives inside Overwatch its a great idea. You can honestly feel the skill needed to play really well some of the classes, and thats good.

TL/DR The game is really fun for pubs (actually it is awesome) but it may not work that well in a competitive environment on its current state. It needs a redo of some of the classes (Highly unlikely on the other hand), maps and ultimates.
WarDieS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2016, 10:20 AM   #45
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
How do you think CTF could work in competitive play (TFC/FF style CTF - not touch flag to return BS)?

Old 05-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #46
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
Awfully, the heroes and skills do not fit the style of game play. What would be the point of a reaper ult in a ctf game? Kill 1 enemy? What about tanks? D.Va has no place, Winston could be a flag carrier I guess, Zarya would be a flag support?

The game is built for large fights where people can support each other. Of course there are those few heroes that single out enemies, Roadhog, Tracer, Widow to name a couple but the main point of the game is everyone fight for this one point or everyone fight around this one cart.

I guess a game mode like 1 flag ctf could work in a way but a full blown ctf game I could never see happening.

Last edited by NeonLight; 05-11-2016 at 12:45 PM.
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2016, 03:08 PM   #47
WarDieS

It's really hard for me to tell if CTF would work without testing it. I have been playing only for 5 days so I am not that in touch with the game. The short answer is probably no.

If you added CTF ala TFC (No return the flag on touch) it would require that the teleporting clases (Tracer, Genji, Reaper) could not teleport with the flag and if they do they should drop the flag on the spot.

Lethal ultimates should be non-lethal or even not having them ( I believe there is a mutator kind of thing on the private games settings) otherwise it will become really dull and shallow (this actually applies for every game mode in my opinion).

There is not much movement skill in the game apart from Genji, Hanzo, Tracer, Widowmaker, Phara (With her "rocket jumps" using E and the Shift impulse), Junkrat, so there is a good thing. There are some crowd control classes like Roadhog (hook), Junkrat (Trap and Mine), Mei (The retarded ice weapon and ultimate), Reinhart (with ultimate), Symmetra (Sentry guns with slow) that may add some layers of complexity and fun (This is probably the best part). Remove the respawn time (this heavily depends on the map actually)

There are classes that should work well like Torbjorn (He is an engineer), Bastion (He is a sentry gun X 5), Lucio (He is like a medic, heals and mobility with damage).
I think it may work on really well designed maps but it will never play like in TFC/FF. It would be a case like in TFC where the community would have to set rules to make it working (Like no backtracking, 1 HW rule, etc) because the game itself its not build around that idea.

But, again, its really hard to tell without actually trying it.

I saw an interview where Jeff Kaplan said that he played HL deathmatch and TFC competitively (wich makes me really happy somehow ). So maybe in the future we might get a CTF version of Overwatch
WarDieS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2016, 03:43 PM   #48
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voss View Post
I guess a game mode like 1 flag ctf could work in a way but a full blown ctf game I could never see happening.
You mean like an A/D map or a push map or a CTF map just played o/d?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDieS View Post
I think it may work on really well designed maps but it will never play like in TFC/FF. It would be a case like in TFC where the community would have to set rules to make it working (Like no backtracking, 1 HW rule, etc) because the game itself its not build around that idea.
Well I think CTF has always been hugely dependent on map design (for better and worse) and there's no reason it has to play that much like TFC/FF to be fun. Also "rules" (other than class limits which, if required to make it more balanced/fun, are easy to understand and can be forced so there are no interpretation issues) mainly arise if both teams are playing o/d at the same time.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:33 PM   #49
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesium View Post
You mean like an A/D map or a push map or a CTF map just played o/d?
Think 2fort but the flag is on the bridge, both teams can grab the flag and you bring it either back into your base or into the enemies base depending on what could work better.
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2016, 08:19 AM   #50
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Anyone tried the new Unreal Tournament lately?

Old 05-13-2016, 05:51 PM   #51
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Not super recently, it's not bad though. I've always found UT movement pretty stale and boring, most people say it makes DM much more interesting, but it makes just running around maps pretty boring. But there's a decent amount of air control and this sliding mechanic is pretty cool. I just think the slides need to be beefed up a bit, go a little further and maintain a little more speed. And it's always possible they could do that, they do seem very open to trying new/interesting things and tweaking. It's kind of a refreshing developement process to watch.

But yeah I'd give it an all around "not bad" based on boring movement.

Oh game modes are utter bullocks though. There is currently no good objective game mode.

They have CTF, but it's marred by one of two things. Either you play vanilla, and it has the translocator. This little personal teleporter thing. So everyone is more worried about traslocating to or away with the flag, rather than DMing. Or they play instagib, which obviously isn't a real game mode, you just click someone once with hitscan, no real dm there.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:07 AM   #52
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterShock View Post
I just played overwatch and had the similar opinion. I am so disappointed with what they've done....
I agree with pretty much everything Shock just said. I played it very little during the free beta, and always alone because no one was on when I was playing. However, I really disliked all of it for those exact reasons
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2016, 02:58 PM   #53
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

I'm really looking forward to Overwatch however much failed potential is left dripping from it, but at this point I'm reduced to shamefully enjoying CSGO deathmatch so I'd probably enjoy pretty much any multiplayer FPS that's popular and more fun than watching old NCIS repeats on TV (sorry TF2, but that's you out).

Also, if I'm understanding correctly it sounds like many of the above FF-connoisseurs' disappointments stem from the gamemodes. Blizzard have already said they want to add more gamemodes in future, so I guess there's a glimmer there, but I'm mainly hopeful they'll release powerful map creation tools at some point and allow all kinds of dreams to come true.

#OVERWATCHFORTRESSFOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterShock View Post
EDIT2: Rocket league is still awesome
Yes. It is.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:22 AM   #54
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

I don't know what I think about Overwatch yet.

Everywhere I look there are major things I'd change if I could, and it completely misses the opportunity for a proper movement based gamemode, yet despite that I'm having more fun than with any other popular FPS for a long while... Hope it lasts.

P.S. Aesthetics wise although I don't really care so long as everything's clear (which is actually something they've done well), the maps all feel like fun places to be and I'm fine with all the heroes except one: reaper takes itself way too seriously and is so ghey ghey ghey it's embarrassing

Old 06-07-2016, 02:50 PM   #55
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
I've been playing the fuckshit out of Overwatch, and it markedly improves as soon as you have a team who can play together.

It does feel very much like TF2, but more chaotic. You have hard counters and soft counters for every class, so you have to know when to disengage, something that TF'ers of our era don't immediately respond to. The long respawn timers force you to evaluate your encounters, because three deaths equals a minute wasted, between the 10 sec spawn and the long ass travel time to the front.

There are some classes that need balancing, Mei being one and McCree the other, but if you have a good team with a well thought out composition, you can hard stop most of anything. You can counter a Mei with a Hanzo or Widowmaker, you can counter a McCree with a Mei or Gengi, you can counter both of those with a Reaper, Reaper drops in no time to a Tracer. You get the picture.

Also, the matchmaking could use some love. There is little worse than being fresh to the game and being pitted against guys playing it since day 1 + closed beta. You get smoked; you don't have time to learn the choke points, much less how best to utilize your abilities against each hero.

Add me on BNET and I'll be happy to kill bitches with you. JooceBag#1201

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2016, 03:55 PM   #56
homie in reboks'

Class/Position: Soldier & Medic
Affiliations: ( ir :: ) iv| K^ †
Posts Rated Helpful 80 Times
OverWatch is fun. I played with a few FFers last night and had a good time. You guys should give it a chance.

Let me know if anyone wants to play. I'll add you on BNet. I've got a discord server people can use as well, if they want.

Last edited by homie in reboks'; 06-10-2016 at 04:05 PM.
homie in reboks' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #57
oTTo

Quake Champions announced!

Tim Willits notes on the game:
PC only
Multiplayer only
120fps target (unlocked fps)
Fast paced movement (strafe jumping, rocket jumping, "ledge bobup" ... double jump?)
Different Characters with different abilities
Bethesda to support tournaments beyond QuakeCon
He mentioned the character "Nyx" being his favorite because she is fast and rocket jumps high which could mean different movement speeds per characters

Old 06-13-2016, 08:41 PM   #58
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Sounds like some new "players"(companies) are jumping into the Fortress-style genre.

B-Net means Battlenet? I'm guessing here, but I haven't heard anything about Battlenet since Warcraft II fell by the wayside.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2016, 08:32 PM   #59
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Sounds like some new "players"(companies) are jumping into the Fortress-style genre.

B-Net means Battlenet? I'm guessing here, but I haven't heard anything about Battlenet since Warcraft II fell by the wayside.

Battlenet is just Blizzards network. Blizzard is still kind of a big deal, what with WoW, hearth stone, diablo, and now OW.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #60
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by oTTo View Post

https://youtu.be/sa-6fQyNkZo

Tim Willits notes on the game:
PC only
Multiplayer only
120fps target (unlocked fps)
Fast paced movement (strafe jumping, rocket jumping, "ledge bobup" ... double jump?)
Different Characters with different abilities
Bethesda to support tournaments beyond QuakeCon
He mentioned the character "Nyx" being his favorite because she is fast and rocket jumps high which could mean different movement speeds per characters
New quake is a scary thought. It's nice to actually hear from a dev they plan on having strafe jumping and those classic forms of movement. But I'm scared about the classes and abilities being stupid.

They've already shown that one class can see through walls, one has a "charging ability", one can teleport, and another can "phase".

Idk, I'm just really turned off by all that gimicky non sense.

And I'm curios to see if it will be at all moddable. You'd kind of think that, at least custom maps, goes hand with a return to classic pc shooters. But with id-thesda you can never tell.

I think what it will really come down to is what engine they run it on. The latest iterations of id-tech have used a feature called "mega textures". Where I guess everything is baked into a single large texture. That alone seems to make modding a huge hassle.

Though Tim Willits did say they were working with Sabre Interactive on "tech". Hopefully that means they are working on making id-tech more open and mod friendly.

Last edited by FDA_Approved; 06-14-2016 at 08:42 PM.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.